Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike Computer (Wahoo Elemnt Roam)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-21, 03:17 PM
RS5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Seriously considering purchasing a new bike computer. I have always used my smartphone, so I am completely new to this.

After quite some research, I have developed a strong preference towards the Wahoo Elemnt Roam. Mainly it is going to be used for navigating. A device that is userfriendly and quick in use is a must.

The only thing I am unsure about, is that it seems like an old device. It was almost launched two years ago. I cannot seem to find out how frequent new bike computers get launched (like, the iPhone gets a new model every year). And also, if I were to purchase the Roam, for how long it will approximately receive software updates from Wahoo.

Can you guys help me out with some advice?
Old 01-03-21, 06:24 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
The Elemnt was their first stand-alone computer and it's still being sold. The Bolt was their follow-up and it's still being sold.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-03-21, 09:31 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
I bought the Elemnt a few years back....great computer. I gave it to my wife when her Garmin died. It was a great excuse for me to get the Roam. . Wahoo is also really good about providing updates on a regular basis.

Old 01-03-21, 09:38 PM
cp88mb1

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Yes, echo that. I have the Bolt, it's been mostly flawless (live ride tracking is hit or miss), and updates are frequent. If I needed another head unit for some reason, I would buy another Bolt, or maybe a Roam, in a heartbeat.
Old 01-04-21, 07:13 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I've been using the Roam for 2 years, love it. Had a Wahoo Elemnt ( no longer sold by Wahoo) before that, that is now on my wife's bike - she loves it.

The advantage of the Roam is mostly bigger, screen, better mapping (color display) and the ability to get re-routing directions. If you don't need those features, no need to pay extra for the Roam, get the Bolt.
Old 01-04-21, 07:51 AM
RS5

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. It seems then that bike computers are not that quickly outdated as, for instance, phones are.

Also the positive reviews are good to hear.

I was worried about a possible new model that would launch a few months after my purchase. If I would switch to Garmin, I would have the same problem, since their 530 is also nearly two years old. However the 520 was launched in 2015, so if new models take approx 4 years to launch I guess I’m save.
Old 01-06-21, 05:46 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by RS5
Thanks for the feedback guys. It seems then that bike computers are not that quickly outdated as, for instance, phones are.

I was worried about a possible new model that would launch a few months after my purchase. If I would switch to Garmin, I would have the same problem, since their 530 is also nearly two years old. However the 520 was launched in 2015, so if new models take approx 4 years to launch I guess I’m save.
I bought a Garmin 820 a few years ago, right before they launched the 830. It was 200 Euro vs 400 so that was an incentive. I looked at the Wahoo but preferred the color screen of the Garmin. It is also very easy to use for navigation allowing for on the fly route selection. I had thought I would use it for navigation more than I actually have. I think that with either Wahoo or Garmin, you are in good shape. I am a bit pissed with Wahoo as a company right now, however, since they bought Speedplay and no longer offer replacement cleats for the X2 series. But that is off subject of this thread.
Old 01-06-21, 09:00 AM
spilot101

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Funny... I've met a few people who used both Wahoo and Garmin computers and the latter always came out on top. I'm sure it's a matter of preference, though....
Old 01-06-21, 09:03 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3235 Post(s)
Liked 2,080 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The Elemnt was their first stand-alone computer and it's still being sold. The Bolt was their follow-up and it's still being sold.

I wouldn't worry about it.
They discontinued the Elemnt a few year sago. They now sell only the Bolt and Roam
Old 01-06-21, 09:06 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by RS5

Folks around here still use their vintage Garmin 500's, 800's, 810's, etc.... Even old phones continue to work (especially Androids). If the OS is working, the device works then there's no other reason to retire. Usually they get retired as the batteries no longer hold a useful charge and the manufacturers no longer allow batteries to be swapped or replaced. Somewhat makes the case for an outdoors model that uses AA.
Old 01-06-21, 09:10 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Steve B.
They discontinued the Elemnt a few year sago. They now sell only the Bolt and Roam
Ah, well, they still seem to be pretty available. More to the point, they still get updates, the latest was a month ago, and that doesn't look like it's going to change any time soon.
Old 01-06-21, 09:13 AM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by RS5

Folks around here still use their vintage Garmin 500's, 800's, 810's, etc.... Even old phones continue to work (especially Androids). If the OS is working, the device works then there's no other reason to retire. Usually they get retired as the batteries no longer hold a useful charge and the manufacturers no longer allow batteries to be swapped or replaced. Somewhat makes the case for an outdoors model that uses AA.

I've used a Bolt, not the Roam. I am un-impressed with the color map on the Roam and generally feel that a touch screen unit is preferred when dealing with maps as it allows zoom and pan of the map. Thus I prefer a Garmin and use a 1030 as I like the size. As well, the Garmin's allow you to install different maps, so if you want a regional Topo map you can get one. Wahoo has, what I consider, a road centric approach. I don't think they can use the Trail Forks maps and routes as example.

A Roam seems to be around $350, about the same as a Garmin 830. The older Garmin 1030 is on Amazon for $444, that's a great deal on a great unit.
Old 01-06-21, 09:15 AM
Steve B.

Ah, well, they still seem to be pretty available.
Can't find any online. Link ?
Old 01-06-21, 09:21 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Can't find any online. Link ?
They're available at both of my LBS chains, haven't bothered looking beyond that.
Old 01-06-21, 09:26 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I recently upgraded from the Bolt to a Roam, and I'm really liking it. The rerouting feature is nice when you're using a preloaded route. So far my favorite feature is having my home location saved, and being able to automatically route back to home. I've used that a couple times when I realized I was running late and needed to get back home as quick as possible, very convenient. The larger screen is nice too, def makes the maps easier to see.
Old 01-06-21, 09:35 AM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
I never understood the need for upgrades in hardware devices such as bike computers and watches. If the device has the features you want during time of purchase, why have the expectation that more is coming down the line? Bug fixes are fine, but once again, if it is a device that has been in use for a while, are you really expecting bug fixes as well?

After using a phone for many many years, I love using my Garmin computer now. So much, that I now have a Garmin watch.
Old 01-06-21, 09:40 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
I never understood the need for upgrades in hardware devices such as bike computers and watches. If the device has the features you want during time of purchase, why have the expectation that more is coming down the line?
For me, it would primarily be about compatibility - things like radar and light networks.
Old 01-06-21, 09:46 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by RS5
Seriously considering purchasing a new bike computer. I have always used my smartphone, so I am completely new to this.

After quite some research, I have developed a strong preference towards the Wahoo Elemnt Roam. Mainly it is going to be used for navigating. A device that is userfriendly and quick in use is a must.

The only thing I am unsure about, is that it seems like an old device. It was almost launched two years ago. I cannot seem to find out how frequent new bike computers get launched (like, the iPhone gets a new model every year). And also, if I were to purchase the Roam, for how long it will approximately receive software updates from Wahoo.

Can you guys help me out with some advice?
The Wahoo is a great computer. If you are looking for user-friendly and quick, you are looking for something intuitive and simple...while still providing the data you desire.

More features add complexity and there are other brands out there that have more features..but they are not very intuitive or simple...then there is also the question of how it affects reliability.

If the Wahoo has everything you need....you can't go wrong. If you are looking for gadgets and widgets and things you don't need...then the criteria of user-friendly and simple needs to be re-evaluated.
Old 01-06-21, 10:29 AM
Tycho Brahe 

For me, it would primarily be about compatibility - things like radar and light networks.
I also have a Varia, both the radar and headlight. I knew what the compatibility was going in, I do not expect things to be updated. Nice to have, but having a release schedule is not a feature I need to have.
Old 01-06-21, 10:33 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
A lot of features are done/refined through firmware updates. I remember when Wahoo did not have radar compatibility, but it was added via firmware to the current elemnt line.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 01-06-21, 10:50 AM
WhyFi

I also have a Varia, both the radar and headlight. I knew what the compatibility was going in, I do not expect things to be updated. Nice to have, but having a release schedule is not a feature I need to have.
Sure, but you asked. Some people, other than yourself, are more inclined to buy from a manufacturer that has a track record of updates and incorporating new features to the extent possible. I get that this isn't much of a factor for you, but I don't get why it's hard to understand that it's a factor for others.
Old 01-06-21, 10:57 AM
Tycho Brahe 

Sure, but you asked. Some people, other than yourself, are more inclined to buy from a manufacturer that has a track record of updates and incorporating new features to the extent possible. I get that this isn't much of a factor for you, but I don't get why it's hard to understand that it's a factor for others.
Then why is Garmin so popular?
Likes For Tycho Brahe:
Old 01-06-21, 11:24 AM
bahula03

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/06/...stability.html

That sums up, as someone who's bought three Garmin's and is real hard pressed to buy another, how I feel about the subject.

I'm also an Apple Watch user, and so use the Fitness app as my "hub," and the Garmin Connect app, which is responsible for sending data to Fitness/Health, is the reason I have automatic app updates turned off Garmin actually released an update over the summer, touted as a fix for a previous update that completely broke the integration, that deleted *all* of the data out of Apple Health and replaced it with the most recent 30 days of Garmin data. Just spectacularly, horrifyingly bad.
Old 01-06-21, 12:42 PM
WhyFi

Then why is Garmin so popular?
Because we're optimistic folk gluttons for punishment?
Old 01-06-21, 03:02 PM
Steve B.

They're available at both of my LBS chains, haven't bothered looking beyond that.

That's what you call new old stocfk. Not helpful to the OP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.