Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Run tube on tubeless tire

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-21, 08:59 AM
alij2018

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi, so, I am running tube and right now my tires are used so I am going to buy new. The shops nearby have majority tubeless tires at the moment as tubular tires are not in stock due to Covid-19 shipping issue. I am not converting my rim to tubless as I don't find it necessary to switch because I have not got a single pucnture since 2 years, so pointless to make so much investment on tubeless. I want to know if it is OK to buy these tubeless tires like Maxxis Ikon or Continental Crossking and run tubes in them? Will this affect something or whatever? I know we can run tubes on tubeless tires but till I want to know if I can do that in very long term.
Old 01-19-21, 09:06 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
They will be fine. Pop in the tubes and ride as long as you can until you've patched the tubes more than a coupe of times, then use them as spare tubes.
Old 01-19-21, 09:08 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Tubes don't always play well with tubleess tires. One time I had to put a tube in a tubeless tire because I punctured and my sealant was dried up. (Operator neglect early in the season.) I could not get the tire to seat properly around the valve stem area. There just wasn't enough room for the tube. That resulted in a lump, which resulted in a slight wobble. Fortunately, it was not that far of a ride back to the car. Another time, with a different make and model of tire, putting a tube in worked fine.
Old 01-19-21, 09:14 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Getting a tube into a tubeless tire can sometimes be difficult as has been pointed out. As well, the tubeless version of the same tire model will always be heavier than the tube type version due to the extra material in the tire carcass needed to make the tire airtight. This can result in a poorer ride quality than if you simply bought the tube type version of the tire. Tubeless tires are also more expensive than conventional clinchers
Old 01-19-21, 09:44 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
You can also opt for clincher tires that are tubeless ready or tubeless compatible.
I’ve got Gravel King slicks on both bikes, 32s and 38s and are specified as tubeless compatible. The first initial rides on both bikes, I ran them as traditional clinchers. Since then, I’ve been running them tubeless.
Old 01-19-21, 11:40 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by primov8
You can also opt for clincher tires that are tubeless ready or tubeless compatible.
I’ve got Gravel King slicks on both bikes, 32s and 38s and are specified as tubeless compatible. The first initial rides on both bikes, I ran them as traditional clinchers. Since then, I’ve been running them tubeless.
Do you notice a difference? I have tubed 32mm GK’s and a set of tubeless compatible in my supply drawer. I’m contemplating setting them up tubeless when the current pair wears out.
Old 01-19-21, 11:59 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,967 Times in 1,916 Posts
tubeless ready is what you'd ideally want if you cannot find the tire you're seeking.
Old 01-19-21, 12:27 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by alij2018
Hi, so, I am running tube and right now my tires are used so I am going to buy new. The shops nearby have majority tubeless tires at the moment as tubular tires are not in stock due to Covid-19 shipping issue.
???
Likes For jadocs:
Old 01-19-21, 01:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
???
I noticed that too. I’m hoping he’s using that term incorrectly.
Old 01-19-21, 02:14 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
"tubular" is a tire that has an integrated tube and has to be glued onto the rim. these are rather rare these days unless you're on a high-end race bike or something vintage. the alternative and much more common tire is a "clincher." tubeless tires are generally (always) clincher tires that are designed to be used with a tubeless-ready rim to seal up without a tube, but you can almost always stick a tube in a tubeless tire/rim.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 01-20-21, 08:00 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Do you notice a difference? I have tubed 32mm GK’s and a set of tubeless compatible in my supply drawer. I’m contemplating setting them up tubeless when the current pair wears out.
I have the GK 32s on the Lynskey Helix and I honestly couldn't tell a difference when I switched them to tubeless. I'm sure it has more to do with the Ti construction of the Helix because on the SBC 6061, with the GK 38s is where I noticed an improvement once I went tubeless. With the 38s set up tubeless (50 psi F, 55 psi R), the 6061 became even more comfortable and a noticeable reduction of road noise as well.
Old 01-20-21, 11:52 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Likes For Rolla: