Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What stretches do you do after a bike ride?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What stretches do you do after a bike ride?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-22, 01:58 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...the next 20 years are gonna be very interesting for you. The only thing "special" about a personal stretching routine is that it is tailored to what you find woks, given your individual physiology and anatomy. There are a few people who are just naturally extremely flexible. I am not one of them. If I don't stretch certain things, I quickly break down. And it's certainly not because I only do one thing for exercise.
I think I can serve as wolfchild's 20-years-in-the-future stand-in. I'm 70. Aside from experimenting with stretching for a day or two 50 years ago, I've never stretched. I started bike racing, road and track, at age 13 and kept at it, on and off, until my late '30s. Still doing training-level speed and intensity. (More accurately, working up to that level now. Four hours on the track bike in the hills of northern Baltimore County yesterday..four hours of recovery on the road bike today. Feeling extremely relaxed---and flexible---here on the couch.)

I do occasionally get lower back discomfort, not caused by bike riding. The cure: bike riding. Gently stretching the back by riding in my aero bars does wonders. Otherwise, the range of motion required in cycling is so limited that it's unclear why stretching would be required.

Why does this topic always turn into a dispute? Some people believe in stretching, some people benefit from stretching, others have done fine without ever stretching.
Old 03-03-22, 02:09 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Agreed on the individualization, but I kind of have the opposite perspective on this--I'm like you in that I'm not flexible, but I find stretching does nothing to change that, and not being particularly bendy doesn't really cause me any problems.

Just curious--what do you mean by "break down"? I don't doubt you feel benefits, I'm just unclear on what they are. I promise not to argue with you about whether the benefits are real or not, my assumption is always people are the best experts on their own bodies.
....in my particular case, I have either one or two crushed vertebral bodies that are wedge shaped, which gives me a lot less trouble now, than when it first happened in a fall at work. Cycling (speaking in generalities), without paying attention to extending upward through my neck and head, and paying attention to posture on the bike to not allow myself to collapse into the classic "scorcher" position, quickly returns me to a stated of chronic pain in the thoracic region.

In other words, vigorous regular bicycling unbalances my core muscles in the torso, and in order to maintain a normal, active existence when I'm putting in miles on a bicycle, I need to do some back bending and stretching to keep my spine a little straighter. Otherwise the ligamentous quad attachments and the psoas tend to reshape me into something that creates pain as my normal state of being.

I also have a surgically repaired right knee, there's little or no cartilage left in there cushioning the joint, and if I just let things happen as they will, without stretching that knee to keep it opened up, it hurts. I'd rather not go through knee replacement, even if work comp is paying for it.

None of this is especially probative of the universal value of stretching. NOr does it even define what "stretching" consists of. I can tell you quite honestly that what I leaned about my body and my mind through a regular yoga and tai chi practice has served me well as a beat up, broke dick retired fireman. And I still log a lot of regular miles on a bike, even though post back crush I was off the bike for five or six years. For a long time I worked in a lot of lap swimming as part of the mix, because that exercise has a tendency to make me use my spinal extensors more. Covid 19 kind of bit that part of my routine in the ass, so now I need to work those spinal extensors , using stuff like headstands and inverted yoga poses. As always, the whole thing is a process. Not sure a headstand qualifies as a stretch, but it does exercise statically the muscles that extend the head, neck, and spine. And yes, it's quite possible to hurt yourself doing yoga. Just like every other human activity.

I knew of a case in the fire department here where some guy filed an injury claim because he hurt himself taking a crap. Who am I to say he did not ? Sure was entertaining as a topic of discussion, though.

My opinion is that people who bike a lot and do zero stretching, just accept the ensuing reductions in function and flexibility as normal aging. Which I guess it is for you. My experience has been that discovering a somewhat more balanced posture and breathing feels better. Again, this is simply my own experience. Pain is a great motivational force.
Old 03-03-22, 02:15 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Trakhak

Why does this topic always turn into a dispute? ...
...beats me. I was as surprised as anyone. I've done Kodokan Judo, and nobody in that group ever thought stretching was optional. Every serious swimmer I've ever know stretches, otherwise your shoulders have a tendency to bind up. Even most of the weightlifters I've know have been fans of some variation on stretching as part of a warm up.

But teh Biekforooms is different in a lot of ways. So it's probably just me.
Old 03-03-22, 02:16 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Aside from experimenting with stretching for a day or two 50 years ago, I've never stretched.
Gently stretching the back by riding in my aero bars does wonders.
Ummmm ...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-03-22, 02:17 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

I will now retire from this thread to eat my vegetables.
...keto is the new thing. If you ain't keto, you ain't ****.
Old 03-03-22, 02:21 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer

My opinion is that people who bike a lot and do zero stretching, just accept the ensuing reductions in function and flexibility as normal aging. Which I guess it is for you. .
Sorry, meant to butt out, but that's addressed to me and wrong. I've never been very flexible, even as a kid. At 61, I haven't had any reductions in function and flexibility. But I'm glad what you're doing seems to be working for you.

I will now re-butt out.
Old 03-03-22, 02:42 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
I did not know I would open such a can of worms here. I'm sorry.

The fact remains that I have 15 minutes to myself after my spin class and I am wondering what else I can do in the gym to capitalize on that. I don't think I need more cardio or I'd go on the rower or elliptical. I lift heavy twice a week and do intervals another day, so I don't think I need to do the Erg or anything like that.

I do barre and pilates on the regular too.

Maybe i should just take my shower and be happy.
Old 03-03-22, 02:46 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
None, other then a left arm reach, if the beer is in the back of the fridge.
Tim
Old 03-03-22, 02:51 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by HeyItsSara

The fact remains that I have 15 minutes to myself after my spin class and I am wondering what else I can do in the gym to capitalize on that. I don't think I need more cardio or I'd go on the rower or elliptical. I lift heavy twice a week and do intervals another day, so I don't think I need to do the Erg or anything like that.

...it's tough to tell what will set people off, when parts of the country are still getting snow and waiting for Spring. A shower always makes me happy, too.
If you're doing barre and Pilates, you're an animal anyway. Try not to hurt anyone, you don't know your own strength.
Old 03-03-22, 02:54 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Sorry, meant to butt out, but that's addressed to me and wrong. I've never been very flexible, even as a kid. At 61, I haven't had any reductions in function and flexibility. But I'm glad what you're doing seems to be working for you.

I will now re-butt out.
...for some of us, given the anatomical construction with which we were blessed at birth, maximum flexibility is just a fantastical, magical dream. This is one of the many things I learned in yoga classes.
Old 03-03-22, 02:59 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6955 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Why does this topic always turn into a dispute? Some people believe in stretching, some people benefit from stretching, others have done fine without ever stretching.
Other than one poster who offered an extremely opinionated rant, I don’t see a real dispute. Just a bunch of posters offering their own experiences and preferences without trying to impose them on others.

It seems like age, anatomical differences, perhaps old injuries, and intensity of effort all factor into whether people feel a benefit from stretching.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-03-22, 03:06 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I feel sort of stupid even asking this, but if you had 15 minutes to stretch after a ride, what would you do?
I'm a stretcher, though I'm not religious about it (nor do I proselytize about it, unless someone else brings it up). Typically I only stretch if I know that I've put a lot of training load on the legs and/or if they feel "sore/tight" at all the day before a significant (50 - 100 miles) ride. In those circumstances I personally find that doing stretches the "night before" a big ride is beneficial for me. Quads, hammies, IT bands, hips, groin, calves, all done while watching TV (aka mutli-tasking). And those stretches are done in conjunction with a handheld foam roller stick on those same areas, usually before the stretches. Rarely do I stretch right before, during, or right after a ride.

IT bands, hips = pigeon pose and eye of the needle and one legged chair pose (that last one I sometimes do during a ride if I'm feeling tight in those areas)
Quads = standing and pulling foot back, as well as laying down with lower leg bent behind
Hamstrings = sitting with one leg straight and pulling toes, also using a stretching rope with foot to the ceiling and back on the floor (both of these can also stretch the calves)
Groin/Hips = butterfly and straddle
Calves = pushing against a wall with one foot back

BTW Tom Brady is an avid stretcher and it seems to have worked for him. 7 rings (and minimal injuries for the 43 yr old GOAT) don't lie! But he's only one data point, and possibly just a coincidence.

Oh, and Chris Froome stretches, but maybe his 4 TdF, 2 Vuelta, and 1 Giro wins are a coincidence too?? Who knows? Maybe he would've won 5 TdfF if he had chosen to NOT stretch, though I'm guessing it was the literal (not figurative) wall that he hit that stopped that from happening again.

Last edited by Riveting; 03-04-22 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-03-22, 08:04 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,438 Times in 988 Posts
Not bicycling-specific, but I do stretch my back in the morning when I first get out of bed. I have a pull-up-type bar over the entrance door to the garage and simple hang on that for a minute, then bend over and touch the floor (hold it), then spread my legs and bend over again and try to touch the floor with my elbows (hold it), Then stand up straight and stretch over to the sides, left & right, with arms over my head. Works great to loosen my back after years of backpacking and mountain climbing.

Back when I ran track we never really stretched, just did a pre-race (or workout) routine starting with slow jogging and progressing to some fast, short sprints at the end.
Old 03-03-22, 08:17 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting

That looks like medieval torture...
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 03-04-22, 09:22 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
That looks like medieval torture...
Maybe that's how the UCI interrogates riders? "Tell us where the PED's are!!!!"
Old 03-04-22, 03:40 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
I don't stretch before or after road riding or mountain biking. No reason to.

And from an article I read online...

Before a ride is not the best time to stretch: your muscles are cold, making them more susceptible to injury, plus static stretching (in which you hold a fixed position) can reduce power output for up to an hour.
Old 03-04-22, 05:33 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 687 Posts
That should be easily testable, I just don't want to.
Old 03-04-22, 09:25 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,627 Times in 2,916 Posts
OP, just Google “post bicyle ride stretches”. There are many videos and sites which discuss the benefits and how-to. Your body will thank you for it.

Old 03-06-22, 08:44 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
For me there are no stretches, but a banana or Calcium-Magnesium pill is always handy.
Old 03-07-22, 02:03 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts

As one of my old bosses used to say, "Non illegitimi carborundum." (Loose translation, don't let the bustards grind you down.) It's not your fault you set off a couple of "participants" (I use the term loosely) who seem to have forgotten to take their meds.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 03-07-22, 03:55 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
The fact remains that I have 15 minutes to myself after my spin class and I am wondering what else I can do in the gym to capitalize on that. I don't think I need more cardio or I'd go on the rower or elliptical. I lift heavy twice a week and do intervals another day, so I don't think I need to do the Erg or anything like that. I do barre and pilates on the regular too.
A few people have left actual responses outside of the usual bickering (that I totallly never get into myself...(cough) (cough) (cough)..."
https://www.bikeforums.net/22426508-post3.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/22426651-post20.html

What other kind of suggestions might you be looking for?
With only 15 minutes, I think this kinda covers it, outside of suggesting searching google or youtube.
Old 03-07-22, 06:29 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 778 Posts
Pre-ride I do the usual leg stretches.
Post ride I concentrate more on the arms. I start with a light weight, curling with my elbows, and the weight feels like it gets lighter after every rep.
Then, after those no longer feel refreshing, I ask the bartender to grab me another beer.
Old 03-07-22, 07:29 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by pdlamb
As one of my old bosses used to say, "Non illegitimi carborundum." ...
...you worked for Jimmy Hoffa ?
Old 03-07-22, 11:25 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
I'm a stretcher, though I'm not religious about it (nor do I proselytize about it, unless someone else brings it up). Typically I only stretch if I know that I've put a lot of training load on the legs and/or if they feel "sore/tight" at all the day before a significant (50 - 100 miles) ride. In those circumstances I personally find that doing stretches the "night before" a big ride is beneficial for me. Quads, hammies, IT bands, hips, groin, calves, all done while watching TV (aka mutli-tasking). And those stretches are done in conjunction with a handheld foam roller stick on those same areas, usually before the stretches. Rarely do I stretch right before, during, or right after a ride.

IT bands, hips = pigeon pose and eye of the needle and one legged chair pose (that last one I sometimes do during a ride if I'm feeling tight in those areas)
Quads = standing and pulling foot back, as well as laying down with lower leg bent behind
Hamstrings = sitting with one leg straight and pulling toes, also using a stretching rope with foot to the ceiling and back on the floor (both of these can also stretch the calves)
Groin/Hips = butterfly and straddle
Calves = pushing against a wall with one foot back

BTW Tom Brady is an avid stretcher and it seems to have worked for him. 7 rings (and minimal injuries for the 43 yr old GOAT) don't lie! But he's only one data point, and possibly just a coincidence.

Oh, and Chris Froome stretches, but maybe his 4 TdF, 2 Vuelta, and 1 Giro wins are a coincidence too?? Who knows? Maybe he would've won 5 TdfF if he had chosen to NOT stretch, though I'm guessing it was the literal (not figurative) wall that he hit that stopped that from happening again.

It isn't a coincidence about the results for To Brady. The football teams all incorporate stretching into their routines.
Old 03-08-22, 12:21 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
every body is different. have never stretched once in two decades of riding. done plenty of centuries and 10k climbing days and the occasional combo of both.

used to stretch religiously back in the high school/college daze playing soccer/running track. actually enjoy stretching. felt it helped with soccer/track when younger.

twere i to start playing soccer/running track again, would definitely have a 30 min pre-event stretching regimen that would be started two weeks in advance.