Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

NYS Law

Old 07-27-22, 08:43 PM
taylorgeo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
NYS Law

If I'm reading this correctly, zero reflectors are required during daytime riding?

A bicycle must be equipped with:
  • A brake that is capable of making the bike tires skid on dry, level pavement (Sec. 1236(c)).
  • A bell, horn or other device that can be heard at least 100 feet away. Sirens and whistles are not permitted (Sec. 1236(b)).
  • A headlight and taillight. A bicycle ridden between a half-hour after sunset and a half-hour before sunrise must be equipped with a white front headlight visible in darkness for at least 500 feet and a red taillight visible for at least 300 feet. One of these lights must also be visible on each side for at least 200 feet (Sec. 1236(a)).
  • Reflectors on the wheels. A bicycle, when purchased new and/or ridden at night, must have reflective tires or wide-angle, spoke-mounted reflectors. Reflectors must be colorless or amber for front wheels and colorless or red for rear wheels (Sec. 1236(d)).
Old 07-27-22, 08:53 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Just wave at the cops a lot, and it won't matter.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-28-22, 06:22 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
They probably assume that if you use reflectors during night riding you probably won't go to the trouble to remove them for daytime riding. Also, since reflectors work on the principle of reflecting incident light from headlights to make your bike visible, if headlights are not on during the daytime there will be no reflection.
Old 07-28-22, 07:06 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
How could one read it any other way?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-28-22, 07:12 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
You can verify this for yourself. When it's dark out, shine a light at your wheel reflector. You will see that it sort of shines back at you. This is "reflection." Next look at your reflector in daylight. Even if you point a light at it you will see very little reflection, it is lost amid the ambient daylight. This is normal and nothing to be concerned about. If you are worried about being seen in daylight, the bike shop can sell you a bright flag on a pole.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-28-22, 07:40 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by taylorgeo
If I'm reading this correctly, zero reflectors are required during daytime riding
Well, it says "when purchased new and/or ridden at night".... So I think the correct interpretation is that all new bikes must be equipped with reflectors. And also any other older bike if it happens to be ridden at night.
Old 07-28-22, 08:00 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
It's interesting to see what different states do for bike regulations. So I took a closer look at your's. This links to fuller set of regulations dealing with bicycles and cyclist.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/display/progr...fety_laws/laws

Interesting right off the bat that a bicycle in the State of New York is apparently not considered a vehicle. That's one difference I don't think I like at all. Being considered a vehicle is what gives me more rights to ride my bike where I desire and follow a standards set of rules with less if's and's or but's that both motor vehicles drivers and I will be aware of. How likely is it that a motor vehicle driver will know the differences a cyclist is supposed to follow on the road? Dumb motorist's notwithstanding.

§ 159. Vehicle. Every device in, upon, or by which any person or
property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except
devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails
or track
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/VAT/159

Really surprised at that one as New York city seemed to play a big part in the history of bicycle laws being established way back when. This is actually the first time I've looked at any other states laws and found that a bicycle is not a vehicle there. Most other states a bicycle is a vehicle.

Also interesting that young parents can't take their babies with them when they ride. Not that I would if I had one, but some do.

§ 1238. Passengers on bicycles under one year of age prohibited;
passengers and operators under fourteen years of age to wear protective
headgear; operators of class three bicycles with electric assist to wear
protective headgear. 1. No person operating a bicycle shall allow a
person who is under one year of age to ride as a passenger on a bicycle
nor shall such person be carried in a pack fastened to the operator. A
first violation of the provisions of this subdivision shall result in no
fine. A second violation shall result in a civil fine not to exceed
fifty dollars.
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/VAT/1238

I suppose a child less than one can be pulled in a trailer. Though perhaps there might be verbiage elsewhere that might consider trailers as part of the bicycle or other prohibitions.

There is this in the section about Lamps and other equipment on bicycles.
(e) Every bicycle when in use during the period from one-half hour
after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise shall be equipped with
reflective devices or material meeting the standards established by
rules and regulations promulgated by the commissioner; provided,
however, that such standards shall not be inconsistent with or otherwise
conflict with the requirements of subdivisions (a) and (d) of this
section.
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/VAT/1236

Probably lots of other interesting stuff too. But I have coffee getting cold!

Last edited by Iride01; 07-28-22 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-28-22, 08:20 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
NYC Police have habits of conducting "crackdowns" on bicycles and cyclists. Usually as a result of a gregarious incident where a cyclist hits and kills a pedestrian or some such. Then the cops swarm the streets targeting cyclists and always seem to have forgotten to actually read up on the appropriate state and city laws pertaining to bikes and riding. I have gotten into arguments with cops middle of the day on my commute when they wanted to cite me for not having reflectors, being unaware that the actual law states only needed after dusk. They are also impatient as you Google the appropriate law to show them. Such is life in NYC, glad to be retired now and never to have to deal with them ever again.
Old 07-28-22, 08:28 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 914 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Well, it says "when purchased new and/or ridden at night".... So I think the correct interpretation is that all new bikes must be equipped with reflectors. And also any other older bike if it happens to be ridden at night.
You can remove them after purchase. No bike in NYS is required have reflectors when being ridden in daylight.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-28-22 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-28-22, 08:36 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Iride01
Interesting right off the bat that a bicycle in the State of New York is apparently not considered a vehicle. That's one difference I don't think I like at all. Being considered a vehicle is what gives me more rights to ride my bike where I desire and follow a standards set of rules with less if's and's or but's that both motor vehicles drivers and I will be aware of.
How so?

How likely is it that a motor vehicle driver will know the differences a cyclist is supposed to follow on the road? Dumb motorist's notwithstanding.
Most motorists (most people) likely believe that a bicycle is a vehicle legally. So, enshrining this belief in the law won't change people's understanding.

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/VAT/1231

Every person riding a bicycle or skating or gliding on in-line skates upon a roadway shall be granted all of the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this title
This law says it doesn't matter (most, if not all, states have this law).

Really surprised at that one as New York city seemed to play a big part in the history of bicycle laws being established way back when. This is actually the first time I've looked at any other states laws and found that a bicycle is not a vehicle there. Most other states a bicycle is a vehicle.
It doesn't seem that uncommon that bicycles are not defined as vehicles. I suspect the reason comes down to avoiding needing to rewrite the traffic laws. Again, the law quoted above makes it irrelevant.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-28-22 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-28-22, 08:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by njkayaker
This law says it doesn't matter (most, if not all, states have this law).
Good, you found the equalizing clause. It wasn't so important for me to find it. I was suspecting something was there, but figured someone will want to look for me.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-22, 08:50 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Yep, reflectors are required on new bicycles being sold. Once the owner takes possession, he/she can legally remove them. Note too that headlights/taillights are only required starting a half-hour *after* sunset until a half-hour *before* sunrise. Most people, even cops, think it's a half-hour before sunset and a half-hour after sunrise. I've never seen a cyclist stopped for lack of a bell. The reason it's required equipment is that a cyclist is required to give a warning when overtaking a pedestrian on a path or sidewalk.
Old 07-28-22, 08:50 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
You can remove them after purchase. No bike in NYS is required have reflectors when being ridden in daylight.
+2
You could probably carry the reflectors in a saddle bag and install them only when it gets dark.
Old 07-28-22, 08:52 AM
njkayaker

Good, you found the equalizing clause.
It's the fundamental bicycle law. You can't really talk about aspects of bicycle law without being aware of it. Otherwise, you'll misinterpret the other laws (like the "not a vehicle" thing).

It wasn't so important for me to find it. I was suspecting something was there, but figured someone will want to look for me.
Interesting. You looked-up (found) a bunch of secondary laws but the basic one "wasn't so important to find".

This is actually the first time I've looked at any other states laws and found that a bicycle is not a vehicle there.
Your state also has the "equalizing" law.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-28-22 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-28-22, 08:58 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

It's the fundamental bicycle law.

Interesting. You looked-up (found) a bunch of secondary laws but the basic one "wasn't so important to find".
I was just looking up the topic of the thread. Found those incidentally. I guess I should have expected that someone would want to argue about something that isn't the topic of the thread and further derail it.

I would hope the things I pointed out would be just food for thought and others investigate for themselves without thinking they have to one-up the other person.
Old 07-28-22, 09:03 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Your state also has the "equalizing" law.
A bicycle is also a vehicle in my state. However you'll have to look that up. You really are pointless and tiresome!
Old 07-28-22, 10:07 AM
njkayaker

It's interesting to see what different states do for bike regulations. So I took a closer look at your's. This links to fuller set of regulations dealing with bicycles and cyclist.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/display/progr...fety_laws/laws

Interesting right off the bat that a bicycle in the State of New York is apparently not considered a vehicle. That's one difference I don't think I like at all. Being considered a vehicle is what gives me more rights to ride my bike where I desire and follow a standards set of rules with less if's and's or but's that both motor vehicles drivers and I will be aware of. How likely is it that a motor vehicle driver will know the differences a cyclist is supposed to follow on the road? Dumb motorist's notwithstanding!
I was just looking up the topic of the thread. Found those incidentally. I guess I should have expected that someone would want to argue about something that isn't the topic of the thread and further derail it.

I would hope the things I pointed out would be just food for thought and others investigate for themselves without thinking they have to one-up the other person.
You really went off the tracks with this nonsense.

Except what you "pointed out" was misleading.

A bicycle is also a vehicle in my state.
So what? It doesn't matter!

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-28-22 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-28-22, 10:54 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Time spent thinking about reflectors for daytime cycling is time wasted.

Requirement for bells on bikes was dropped from Indiana law within the last few years.
Old 07-28-22, 11:37 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
It varies from state to state, but Michigan states that cyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as drivers of vehicles. The law stops short of actually defining a bicycle as a vehicle, though.
Old 07-28-22, 12:23 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 702 Posts
The NYS legal system has 6" x 6" jammed through it's eye socket right now, and this minuscule splinter is just silly business.
Old 07-28-22, 12:38 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
It varies from state to state, but Michigan states that cyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as drivers of vehicles. The law stops short of actually defining a bicycle as a vehicle, though.
Wish MI would adopt the Idaho stop, & not some hybrid version of it. So many of the "modern" traffic signals with the button have the button placed beyond arms reach off the pavement & typically surrounded by debris on the ground (broken glass, metal shards) . Most of those buttons don't function
Old 07-28-22, 12:46 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Law & Order: Bicycle Victimhood Unit
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 07-28-22, 07:51 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
A horn? Reflectors on wheels? Is it 1978?
Old 07-29-22, 02:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
A bicycle is also a vehicle in my state. However you'll have to look that up. You really are pointless and tiresome!

I disagree. He is tiresome and pointless, not pointless and tiresome.

That may be too subtle--I'm parodying the level of his arguments.
Old 07-30-22, 12:07 AM
Ttom

Bikes: Kona Sutra SE

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 34 Posts
Seriously?

I see people doing everything wrong on a bike in front of the police and they do nothing. If you do get stopped by a cop that probably just means he is ticked off today, tag your it, in that case he will make up whatever feels good to him.
I should mention I do not live in NYS.

Last edited by Ttom; 07-30-22 at 12:12 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.