Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-22, 11:02 AM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Arguing over clothing still I see. Get ya handbags out!

Larry might be onto something with the riding shirtless.
Old 09-01-22, 11:02 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
We've been over this, before, IIRC. You say that you won them some time in the nebulous past, you link to a full page of a given manufacturer's wares, not to the specific garments in question and certainly not to pics of the jerseys themselves. We don't know if they're MTB, Road, Club Fit, Race Fit, etc. My assumption, and I think that it's a pretty safe one, is that these are entry-level, club fit (and possibly not properly sized) jerseys that are nothing special.
OK...So now I don't know how to pick out the proper jersey size? WTF?!

Anyway...in my experience fit, form, function, quality just isn't any better on more expensive jerseys. Even on long 75-100 mile rides the Amazon stuff works great.

The only reason we have higher priced jerseys is because cycling enthusiasts are a niche market full of people with disposable income that are willing to spend that much and the companies that sell these jerseys know that and price accordingly.

Padded shorts are definitely a "get what you pay for" thing...mine vary in price from $75 -$100 a pair. But jerseys, mountain bike shorts, alleged cycling specific socks etc. just don't fall in the same category.

Last edited by prj71; 09-01-22 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-01-22, 11:03 AM
DonkeyShow

Originally Posted by Koyote
$20 plus $80 equals $100, which is a mid priced jersey.
In other words, you are arguing from a position of ignorance. We see so much of this on bf: people who think that their opinions trump everyone else’s, and that their preferences should be universal. Such an egotistical and childish fallacy.
Pockets = $100 now.

Aren't you one of those ppl who think their opinion trumps all? Hmmm...
Old 09-01-22, 11:06 AM
DonkeyShow

Originally Posted by prj71
You just don't understand shirts bro; It requires a massive mind and is incredibly complex.
Old 09-01-22, 11:08 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Post a pic and show us.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-01-22, 11:17 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6943 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
Pockets = $100 now.
Try to keep up. No one in this thread has made that argument. No one has suggested that the only difference between lower and higher priced jerseys is pockets.

​​​​​​
Aren't you one of those ppl who think their opinion trumps all? Hmmm...
Nope. I've never told anyone that they're wasting their money on $20 jerseys, nor tried to convince anyone to spend more.

You got anything else?

Last edited by Koyote; 09-01-22 at 11:24 AM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-01-22, 11:20 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
As cycling became more and more popular, the demand for jerseys increased...So some manufacturers and suppliers take advantage of this by increasing prices. Think about it...$100 for a polyester shirt?
You just flunked economics 101.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-01-22, 11:27 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4929 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
"Proper size" for you might be a different set of parameters than someone else.

I have about a dozen jerseys in my closet. Each one has variations in the way they fit my body, and as such, some are more preferred than others. A couple turned out to be mistakes, don't get worn, and I will sell them off at some point. A couple others were great when I got them (compared to my other options at the time), but have been surpassed by others purchased later due to better fabrics or other details that are an improvement in some way. A someone who tends towards a more "racer" fit, but has an "ex-racer" body, finding the right balance between being snug and being a sausage casing is one of the details I pay attention to. Tightness of the sleeves, sleeve length, and how the sleeves are finished, are also things I pay attention to. So is the cut at the bottom of the jersey. One jersey I have I really like everything else about it, except that the cut in front is just a bit shorter than I prefer.
Old 09-01-22, 11:35 AM
DonkeyShow

Originally Posted by Koyote
Try to keep up. No one in this thread has made that argument. No one has suggested that the only difference between lower and higher priced jerseys is pockets.

​​​​​​

Nope. I've never told anyone that they're wasting their money on $20 jerseys, nor tried to convince anyone to spend more.

You got anything else?
You are rather hostile and annoying. Welcome to the ignore list.
Old 09-01-22, 11:51 AM
Koyote

You are rather hostile and annoying. Welcome to the ignore list.
If this is the quality of your contributions -- two false assertions and an insult -- then yes, by all means, please ignore me!

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You just flunked economics 101.
​​​​​​That's a little harsh -- I'd give a C, maybe a C-minus.

From an Econ 101 perspective, some of these posters refuse to acknowledge the substantial product differentiation that accounts for the price differentials among some of the apparel under discussion. While the persistent price differentials themselves are prima facie evidence of the product differentiation, it's actually pretty easy to see the differences between a cheap and an expensive jersey -- in the quality and types of textiles, quality of the stitching and zippers, pocket designs (stability, durability), aesthetics, etc -- not to mention other forms of differentiation such as warranty, crash replacement or repair service, shipping and return costs, etc. Those are all forms of product differentiation for which some consumers are willing to pay higher prices.
Old 09-01-22, 11:55 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,602 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
I've bought plenty of cheap stuff which turned out to be a waste of money because the reason why it was cheap is because it is a bit crap. To wit, two carbon fiber out front Garmin mounts from Aliexpress which broke under the weight of a Edge 1030 plus and a bike light, three cheap CF bottle cages from Aliexpress which eject bottles over potholes (on the other hand the only slightly more expensive CF bottle cages from Decathlon are great).

Club trisuits turned out to be the same quality as upper end of Aliexpress stuff but for more money, however high end stuff is a cathegory by itself and the Castelli trisuits are my favourite cycling / triathlon wear.

I've used Brooks saddles for a while on a touring bike, and they were in my experience, a bit crap. The tensioning mechanism was poorly made on two (necessitating pliers to tension it alongside the supplied tool because the bolt would freely spin) and in the end a Specialized Power turned out to be a more comfortable saddle which costs a similar amount and is durable and much lighter.

Velotoze shoe covers. They're not bad, they just break after two uses. What else... hm. There's probably more stuff which turned out to be a bit crap in retrospect. Wool jerseys? Meh.

Mostly the more expensive and more mainstream stuff turned out to work better, with exceptions here and there. Sometimes cheaper stuff exceeded expectations - mostly I have to give a shout out to Decathlon, their upper end kit is really quite good.
Appreciate your candidness. Not many will say they bought crap and regretted it as well as were disappointed by some of the more expensive stuff. I know that in my poorer days, I could only afford cheap stuff, but now those days are over, I still appreciate a bargain as long as it functions well and shows good longevity. Have to agree 100% on Velotoze. Was massively disappointed by a couple of their products and the hassle using them. Also agree about the values to be found at Decathalon. Am wearing a pair of their excellent cargo shorts right now and have other of their products which I have been very happy with. Will have to look into their bottle cages, since mine are $6 specials not worthy of my ride. All the best.

Old 09-01-22, 12:20 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
So we can all pay for the design, materials, style and quality we feel is best. A quality jersey from Rapha can be had for $60, or a higher priced one with different materials, style or features can be purchased if desired.

Why are those who prefer cheap stuff always angry that there are many options at various price points for those of us who don't prefer the cheap stuff?

Hold on there--I'm an absolute tightwad when it comes to gear, and I am not the slightest bit angry that you guys spend money on stuff I don't want.
Old 09-01-22, 12:33 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4929 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Appreciate your candidness. Not many will say they bought crap and regretted it as well as were disappointed by some of the more expensive stuff. I know that in my poorer days, I could only afford cheap stuff, but now those days are over, I still appreciate a bargain as long as it functions well and shows good longevity. Have to agree 100% on Velotoze. Was massively disappointed by a couple of their products and the hassle using them. Also agree about the values to be found at Decathalon. Am wearing a pair of their excellent cargo shorts right now and have other of their products which I have been very happy with. Will have to look into their bottle cages, since mine are $6 specials not worthy of my ride. All the best.
I've had cheap stuff work out great, and cheap stuff be awful. Same with expensive stuff. Sometimes those determinations have been completely subjective, sometimes not. Sometimes I will pay more than I need to (or should) for personally justified reasons that few people would agree with. Guess what? It's my money.
Old 09-01-22, 12:36 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
I just ordered a jersey from Rapha, which is closer in price to the $20 Amazon jersey than to a $100 "expensive" jersey. If it turns out to be a good jersey, does it vindicate cheap or expensive jerseys?
Old 09-01-22, 12:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I just ordered a jersey from Rapha, which is closer in price to the $20 Amazon jersey than to a $100 "expensive" jersey. If it turns out to be a good jersey, does it vindicate cheap or expensive jerseys?
Yes.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-01-22, 12:56 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Post a pic and show us.
LOL. I need to model my shirts for you on BF now because you don't believe me?

Sick and twisted dude.
Old 09-01-22, 01:05 PM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Hold on there--I'm an absolute tightwad when it comes to gear, and I am not the slightest bit angry that you guys spend money on stuff I don't want.
Correction to my original post: There are some who prefer cheaper gear that don't get angry and repeatedly state their opinion is fact. Thank you for being a reasonable person.
Likes For NumbersGuy:
Old 09-01-22, 01:07 PM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts
The Sora group set.
Old 09-01-22, 01:16 PM
Koyote

Post a pic and show us.
My best guess:

Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-01-22, 01:17 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
LOL. I need to model my shirts for you on BF now because you don't believe me?

Sick and twisted dude.
I believe that we are on different pages. I believe that you won jerseys. I believe that you think that they're high quality expensive jerseys, but it is also my suspicion that a) we probably have very different expectations and b) you may not have a good frame of reference for what others want and expect out of their apparel.

A pic showing what you believe to be expensive and well-fitting would go a long way to getting on the same page - we may be talking apples while you're talking oranges.

Side note: I'm not sure how a pic of yourself would qualify as "sick and twisted."
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-01-22, 01:18 PM
Koyote

No fair. You bought it from the sale section, and it's the Core jersey. But yeah, it'll be nicer than any Amazon branded jersey.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-01-22, 01:41 PM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
i will agree to anyone who said pockets cost more, my specialized set of kit with 8 pockets between the jersey and shorts ran me 210. and once again i want to thank everyone from bike forums who gave me their leftover kit back when i was really poor and getting started and couldnt afford kit. as for stuff being in stock, I was piecing together a campag groupo yesterday, and it is pretty much out of stock every where i looked except for alibaba.

and in this pic, about every fit you see, is the proper fit, because they are comfortable, even at the world naked bike ride, the kit fit is right, because thats the towel they wanted

https://flic.kr/p/MPtnh
Old 09-01-22, 02:00 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Side note: I'm not sure how a pic of yourself would qualify as "sick and twisted."
Punctuation is important.
Old 09-01-22, 02:38 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
Correction to my original post: There are some who prefer cheaper gear that don't get angry and repeatedly state their opinion is fact. Thank you for being a reasonable person.

I stay reasonable as long as the phrase "well, if you're only riding 12 mph for 5 miles on a MUP, I suppose anything is adequate" or its like doesn't appear. It's invariably uttered by someone who rides less/slower than I do.

I've noticed that the people who buy more expensive stuff who actually seem to know a lot about cycling and ride well also know a lot of people who don't buy expensive stuff who also know a lot about cycling and ride well. It's almost like there's more than one way to do things.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-01-22, 02:42 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by boozergut
The Sora group set.
Especially the levers--those things suck.
Likes For livedarklions:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.