Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Early Brifter Bikes - 7,8, and 9 Speed
Reload this Page >

When Does 10, 11 Speed Become “Early”

Notices
Early Brifter Bikes - 7,8, and 9 Speed Not vintage, not new, but still loved!

Old 09-22-22, 06:52 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 127 Posts

I love the look of the bikes in this forum so I visit frequently. My two bikes, a 2007 Marinoni road bike and recent Surly Cross Check built up as an all-road bike, both have Shimano 11sp drivetrain. I called a local shop the other day to ask about future availability of mechanical 11-sp and there was some uncertainty that made me feel uneasy. Feeling is that the mechanical groups will be phased out, maybe soon, which isn’t surprising. So I’m wondering when this forum turns to “mechanical groups” or goes up to 10 or 11 speed? I’ve never had to hunt down parts though I’m hoping for at least the next five years acquiring 11-sp parts won’t be a big pain.
Old 09-23-22, 06:29 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Maybe ask on C&V ? Their experience with friction components and wheels without discs and straps with cleats, etc may be relevant.

Who makes the decision? Usually the market.

Lots of 2x8, 2x10 speed bikes being sold in the world. Don’t kid bikes under $500 still represent the greatest % of unit sales?

Percentage of $3500+ bikes is what?
I don’t know, nor subscribe to Bicycling Retailer or the industry business sources.

The leading edge (most industries) is loudest. With ebikes things will likely evolve again. Should every bike have turn indicators?
Old 09-24-22, 02:54 PM
Schlafen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
I love the look of the bikes in this forum so I visit frequently. My two bikes, a 2007 Marinoni road bike and recent Surly Cross Check built up as an all-road bike, both have Shimano 11sp drivetrain. I called a local shop the other day to ask about future availability of mechanical 11-sp and there was some uncertainty that made me feel uneasy. Feeling is that the mechanical groups will be phased out, maybe soon, which isn’t surprising. So I’m wondering when this forum turns to “mechanical groups” or goes up to 10 or 11 speed? I’ve never had to hunt down parts though I’m hoping for at least the next five years acquiring 11-sp parts won’t be a big pain.
Shimano Tourney was introduced in 1971, yes it's 50 years old. and still fitted to new bikes.today.you wil probably switch to well electronic before 11 speed mechanical spares run out.
Likes For Schlafen:
Old 09-25-22, 02:15 AM
Schlafen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 62 Posts
Phone typing bollox, had to fix that, can't edit for some reason.

Shimano Tourney was introduced in 1971, yes it's 50 years old and still fitted to new bikes today. You will probably switch to electronic shifting well before 11 speed mechanical spares run out.
Old 09-25-22, 06:54 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 257 Posts
Considering I can still get, through the shop where I work, parts for 6 speed systems without a problem it is likely 11 speed mech stuff will be available for some time.
Old 09-25-22, 03:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I don't think 11 speed is going away anytime soon. I can still find 6, 7 and 8 speed stuff and while for new stuff not usually much of quality I can still find it easily. Most of the parts you will need are easy to get and while electronic grupppos are becoming more popular cables aren't going away.

As far as this stuff becoming early it will take 20 years or so.
Old 09-27-22, 05:17 AM
Noonievut

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 127 Posts
Thanks, I feel better now