Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Compass Tire Hype: Warning

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Compass Tire Hype: Warning

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-18, 02:25 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
What did it? Something poking out of the curb?
If Compass tires are anything like Paselas, there is zero protection of the sidewalls. Any abrasion will cut threads and the sidewalls will blow out. My experience with years of Pasela riding is that the sidewalls hold up very well in just about all riding conditions, but rubbing the chainstays or, worse, a light touch of the brake pad will destroy those tires in short order. Solution? Know and don't. Easy. (Apparently, this applies to curbs also.)

Ben
Old 03-08-18, 02:39 PM
bikiola
royal dutch of dukes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
If Compass tires are anything like Paselas, there is zero protection of the sidewalls.
from my limited understanding/reading, they are better-than. Dunno!
Old 03-08-18, 03:54 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
If Compass tires are anything like Paselas, there is zero protection of the sidewalls.
Compass tires have no protection layers, and the sidewalls are actually thinner than Paselas (since the casing fabric is less coarse).

I haven't had any problems with the sidewalls of Paselas or Compass tires, but if someone was grinding them against curbs while slowing the bike, it wouldn't exactly surprise me if blowouts ensued...

Originally Posted by bikiola
Love this thread and especially @SquidPuppet's writing as well!

Has anyone had specific experiences with the 26x2.3" tires - the Rat Trap? I would be using them (as my moniker indicates) in NYC for daily commuting and once the weather is nice, many tours around long island, the city and upstate (into Vermont).

Currently run Big Apples 26x2.35, which I actually really like, but they feel slow and sluggish. Was hoping to get these for faster more fun ride (I have no idea what supple actually means). My biggest concern is flats... Looking around the net, there's little about the wider tires and lots of complaining about the narrower (see this from another site:
I run the Rat Trap Pass ELs on my gravel bike.

I do think there may be some truth to Heine's claims that low pressures reduce puncture flats. There was one time that I rode them tubed for 20 miles on pavement when they were covered in thorns (after riding over a mile or two of grass covered with thorny branches), without anything driving through and causing a flat. And they generally seem to flat less often than my skinny high-performance racing tires. The flats that have occurred have been very slow leaks, except for my most recent flat which involved a gnarly glass shard.

I do think that they'd do poorly with tubed setup in a place with a very high number of thin stabby things, like areas with goatheads; in this case you'd definitely want them set up tubeless.

"Supple" basically means flexy.

Last edited by HTupolev; 03-08-18 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-08-18, 04:31 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts

Has anyone had specific experiences with the 26x2.3" tires - the Rat Trap? I would be using them (as my moniker indicates) in NYC for daily commuting and once the weather is nice, many tours around long island, the city and upstate (into Vermont).
That reminds me: I was going to ask @SquidPuppet if his RTP's had come in yet.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-08-18, 04:48 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts

Currently run Big Apples 26x2.35, which I actually really like, but they feel slow and sluggish. Was hoping to get these for faster more fun ride (I have no idea what supple actually means). My biggest concern is flats... Looking around the net, there's little about the wider tires and lots of complaining about the narrower (see this from another site: I'd try meth before running these tires again). So, please convince me! Life is short, I want the best ride I can get, but I can't have flats all the time on the way to work... Especially curious about standard/ultralight casing on the wider widths. Thanks in advance mates.

(EDIT - weird, my link to the r**t site was removed for some reason. if you're interested in that thread, something search for the phrase "Hands down the worst tires I've ridden: Compass Stampede Pass Extralights aka paperthins", its quite an interesting thread).
Weird that they disappeared your link AND won't let you say the word red it.

Been noticing some other shenanigans lately. People being banned without any update of the "banned users thread" and mods come in and threaten to lock a thread if you discuss someone who is banned.

TruthBomb was apparently just X-ed out of existence even though the banned users thread said it was only a 2 week suspension.

And I'm sure this post will get deleted because I've spoken of that which shall not be named. Or something. Even though it's not in the Rules and Regulations post.

I want to try Compass but I don't want to spend $77 on something that can't handle some of the flat-causing things where I live. Maybe if they gave me some to try as a field tester.
Old 03-08-18, 05:23 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
That reminds me: I was going to ask @SquidPuppet if his RTP's had come in yet.
I have family members who give me gift cards for holidays. In mild frustration they always say, "Sorry it's so impersonal, we just have no idea what to get for you. You are tough to shop for. And you never drop any hints."

Problem solved. One rock, two birdies. KaBoom!

Guess what's going on my Birthday Hint List for August? That's right baby, in the EL flavor too. Don't you be scrimping on my gifts.

Please and thank you.
Old 03-08-18, 06:01 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
I've just bought a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 26"x2" today for an old Bridgestone mountain bike that I've customised with drop bars ....

I really wanted Compass Rat Trap Pass .... after reading your post, I'm sad now and should have bought the compass tyres

Oh well, next time ... when the Schwalbe's need replacing, I will get the Rat Trap Pass .... only thing that concerns me is the puncture resistance (I commute 40km per day, but it's only on Asphalt/tar roads with a few potholes here and there)... I hat punctures and loose money if I'm late for work
Old thread I know..

Did those Marathons ever wear out? I thought that was a myth that they did
Old 03-08-18, 06:07 PM
nightfly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Are narrower Compass tires worthwhile? Thinking of replacing my 28c Paselas with something like the Compass Chinooks but am a little hesitant because of price and durability. Wondering if the benefits are not as great on narrower tires. Also considering the Clement Strada LGG (cheaper not as nice) or the Challenge Strada Biancas (slightly cheaper) if I can get the 30c's on my Rush. Thoughts?
Old 03-08-18, 06:26 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,616 Posts
Originally Posted by nightfly
Are narrower Compass tires worthwhile? Thinking of replacing my 28c Paselas with something like the Compass Chinooks but am a little hesitant because of price and durability. Wondering if the benefits are not as great on narrower tires. Also considering the Clement Strada LGG (cheaper not as nice) or the Challenge Strada Biancas (slightly cheaper) if I can get the 30c's on my Rush. Thoughts?
I can hardly wait for my Vittoria Randonneurs to wear out so I can put Challenge Paris Roubaixs on my winter wheels as well.

Never ridden Compass anything.
Old 03-08-18, 06:53 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by nightfly
Wondering if the benefits are not as great on narrower tires.
Suppleness is just as crucial for narrow tires as for wide ones. Although, Compass isn't quite as interesting in the narrow-tire market since there's more competition.
Old 03-09-18, 10:57 AM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I just put Compass Steilacooms on my gravel bike. Only pavement riding so far, where they are smooth, fast, and cush but with a little hum from the tread.

No report on off-pavement riding; the dirt and gravel are too squishy yet.

**I've used Compass/Grand Bois 700x26, 700x32, and 650x38 already, and I have a set of lightly-used Barlows (700x38) for dry summer riding.
Old 03-10-18, 01:43 PM
LewisQC

Bikes: Specialized tricross, Intense Spider comp, Salsa Blackborrow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim_Iowa
I just put Compass Steilacooms on my gravel bike. Only pavement riding so far, where they are smooth, fast, and cush but with a little hum from the tread.

No report on off-pavement riding; the dirt and gravel are too squishy yet.

**I've used Compass/Grand Bois 700x26, 700x32, and 650x38 already, and I have a set of lightly-used Barlows (700x38) for dry summer riding.
Are you running them tubeless?
Old 03-11-18, 09:12 AM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LewisQC
Are you running them tubeless?
Not yet, I have tubes in them to shape them for now. And I may not go tubeless for the moment; I'm not sure if I'm going to keep these tires on or switch to Barlows once the dirt is dry (and the Barlows I have are pre-tubeless).

I haven't been doing tubeless on any of my bikes lately, because I've been swapping tires a bunch. The studs have been on and off my fat bike 3 times this winter.
Old 03-11-18, 11:38 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Looks sweet, @Tim_Iowa.
Old 03-12-18, 02:31 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
<blah blah snipe>

I started shopping for lighter replacements. I couldn't find any 100% slick tires with gum/tan walls in 700c x 35mm. Black wall, yes. Or gum wall with tread, yes. Dammit. More research and shopping. I finally reached the much loathed conclusion that the Compass tire was the closest I could get to what I wanted. It has tread, but it's almost nonexistent. Dread set in. The prices are ridiculous. Stupid prices.<blah blah snipe>
and then.....

Thanks.

I got the Jon Bon Pass 700 x 35 in the "Extra Light" flavor. I've read that the "Standard" version is noticeably less comfortable. 52 gram difference between the two, FWIW. $20.00 difference too.

I want these...

I am confused, the Extra Light flavor is black sidewalls? I thought you wanted gumwall**********
Old 03-12-18, 02:54 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by Metieval
and then.....

I am confused, the Extra Light flavor is black sidewalls? I thought you wanted gumwall**********

Standard model
  • Clincher, folding bead
  • Tubeless-compatible
  • Tan sidewalls
  • Low rolling resistance
  • Excellent grip
  • Superior comfort
  • Light weight
  • Classic appearance
  • Clincher tires with the ride of a good tubular
  • Maximum pressure with tubes: 90 psi (6.2 bar)
  • Maximum recommended pressure – tubeless: 60 psi (4 bar)
  • 355 g

Extralight model
  • as "Standard" model, but with:
  • Ultra-light, ultra-supple casing
  • Choice of black or tan sidewalls
  • Further improved comfort
  • Ultra-low rolling resistance
  • 303 g
Even says Extralight on the sidewall

Last edited by SquidPuppet; 03-12-18 at 03:01 AM.
Old 03-13-18, 12:31 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
not so confused now...
Old 06-27-18, 09:50 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
They ride so well it messes with my head. .
I just bought a pair of Compass 700C x 38 Steilacooms.

Everything you said is ... true.

WTF?

There is no apparent penalty to be paid for riding knobbies on pavement, even when climbing steep hills. Off the road, these things are truly remarkable.

Everything my WTB nanos are not. (These gave me a 2.5 mph improvement on road vs. my nanos.)

I just set these up with butyl inner tubes, arbitrarily set the rear pressure to 40 PSI and the front to 30 PSI. I haven't even started to dial them in yet, and eventually I want to try them tubeless. But right out of the bag, they are a stunning revelation, right up there with the first time I saw the ocean, the first time I saw the Grand Canyon, the first time I had sex, dropped acid, saw the active site of my favorite macromolecule at 1.2 Å resolution, you get the idea ...

I tried a Lauf bike (True Grit with a Lauf fork) a week ago. These tires are what that bike should have felt like, but in reality they are far better.

The scientist in me is embarrassed to admit that my skepticism was completely misplaced.

cf: https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/...n-a-road-tire/

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 06-27-18 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-28-18, 07:56 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by wgscott
right up there with the first time I saw the ocean, the first time I saw the Grand Canyon, the first time I had sex, dropped acid, saw the active site of my favorite macromolecule at 1.2 Å resolution, you get the idea

I'm glad you are enjoying them.

The only negative is that I'll never again be able to shop for reasonably priced tires.

Last week I mounted some Rat Trap Pass extra lights on my klunker, rode up and down my street a few times and fiddled with the pressure. Yesterday I went for my first real ride on them, about 25 miles. I feel like a knucklehead putting $172.00 worth of tires on a cheap bike, but I'll assume that you can appreciate my decision. Lemme tel ya, 54mms of Compass EL is like having sex in the Grand Canyon while on acid.

Old 06-28-18, 08:32 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
@SquidPuppet, thank you for elevating the writing here on BF. I wish I could learn as much from you as @wgscott has.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-28-18, 08:43 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

@noglider: I thought I was being downright inarticulate, by comparison, when conveying my giddiness.

The tires are indeed quite mind-boggling.

I made the tactical decision to put a set on my wife's bike first, in anticipation of the standard reaction to my jubilant enthusiasm from that pessimistic naysayer and incorrigible vulture of ill-omen. Being British, her upper lip is virtually paralytic with rigor mortis, parting only enough to emit derision and skepticism, punctuated by choice tidbits of bitter and sarcastic commentary. But even she recognized the improvement, and all was well in the family until she found the LBS sales receipt and realized the price I had quoted her must have been in Pounds Sterling, not worthless California dollars.

When I told her it was the most plush ride I have ever experienced with my clothes on, she was characteristically impassive.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 06-28-18 at 08:52 AM. Reason: NSA introduced typographical errors when I wasn't loking
Old 06-28-18, 08:45 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by noglider
@SquidPuppet, thank you for elevating the writing here on BF. I wish I could learn as much from you as @wgscott has.
I thought wgscott's post was brilliantly written. He has a knack for pacing and timing his deliveries.

On the subject of the tires, his 2.5mph gain is crazy good, and I believe it. In all seriousness, I will be dropping a tooth on the rear cog on the bike I posted above. It's silly how far the bike will coast without losing much speed. The only place my old ratio was OK was on mild inclines or mild head winds. Pretty much useless on flat ground.
Old 06-28-18, 08:50 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by wgscott
@noglider: I thought I was being downright inarticulate, by comparison, when conveying my giddiness.

The tires are indeed quite mind-boggling.

I made the tactical decision to put a set on my wife's bike first, in anticipation of the standard reaction to my jubilant enthusiasm from that pessimistic naysayer an incorrigible vulture of ill-omen. Being British, her upper lip is virtually paralytic with rigor mortis, parting only enough to emit derision and skepticism, punctuated by choice tidbits of bitter and sarcastic commentary. But even she recognized the improvement, and all was well in the family until she found the LBS sales receipt and realized the price I had quoted her must have been in Pounds Sterling, not worthless California dollars.

When I told her it was the most plush ride I have ever experienced with my clothes on, she was characteristically impassive.
@noglider, that's solid gold right there ^.
Old 06-28-18, 08:58 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
OK I believe the tires feel as good as you say, but 2.5 mph improvement? How can you be sure? That's a huge claim.

When the Steilacoom came out along with its sales copy, I thought it does sound like a breakthrough if true. Now, if it is really true, people should be bellowing about it from rooftops. I'm not doubting you, I'm wondering how to get the word out.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-28-18, 08:58 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

I thought wgscott's post was brilliantly written. He has a knack for pacing and timing his deliveries.
Thank you. Though I am unworthy of your praise, I am grateful nonetheless.

On the subject of the tires, his 2.5mph gain is crazy good, and I believe it. In all seriousness, I will be dropping a tooth on the rear cog on the bike I posted above. It's silly how far the bike will coast without losing much speed. The only place my old ratio was OK was on mild inclines or mild head winds. Pretty much useless on flat ground.

Similarly, during my on-road shake-down test ride, I realized I had forgotten to shift to the smaller front chainring while hammering up one of the steeper sections. I still lack the vocabulary to convey adequately my bemused bewilderment.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 06-28-18 at 09:03 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.