Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you click it with a Krikit?

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 01-23-21, 09:20 AM
gcb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Curious as to whether others have had this experience. In the past, I have always set my Gates timing belt tension with the Gates iPhone app but recently obtained a Krikit gage. I'm finding the Gates timing belt tension is considerably different depending on whether I use the Gates iPhone app or a Krikit gauge to set tension. I have two tandem bicycles equipped with Gates CDX timing belts. The belt tensions are considerably tighter if set at the recommended value using the Gates iPhone App vs using the recommended setting using the Krikit Gauge. (I am operating the Krikit gauge according to instructions; one finger, middle of belt span, etc.)

Examples (note: all measurements represent average values of 4 measurements taken with the crank rotated 90 degrees each time):

EXAMPLE 1 - BELT TENSION WAS SET USING KRIKIT GAUGE STANDARDS
Average tension measured using Krikit Gauge = 47 lbs (within 45-48 lbs recommended range)
Average tension measured using iPhone app = 25 Hz (well below 60-65 Hz recommended range)

EXAMPLE 2 - BELT TENSION WAS SET USING iPHONE APP STANDARDS
Average tension measured using Krikit Gauge = 114 lbs (well above the 45-48 lbs recommended range)
Average tension measured using iPhone app = 63 Hz (within 60-65 Hz recommended range)

I have tested this with 2 iPhones, 2 different Krikit gages, and 2 tandems. Always resulted in the same discrepancy between iPhone app and Krikit settings. I have come to the conclusion that the Krikit is giving me a “better” reading. The belt is less tight than with the iPhone app, but there is no ratcheting or slop in the belt and it does not feel like it is putting more pressure on the bearings than need be.

Anyone else notice this discrepancy between Krikit vs Gates iPhone app tension?
Old 01-23-21, 11:38 AM
bobh123

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I found using the app to be inconsistent and frustrating to use. I use the Krikit exclusively. It is difficult to read the Krikit, however, with its almost-invisible markings on the gauge and the place where the lever crosses the gauge often being ambiguous. It isn't well designed to read, but seems to be sufficiently consistent and reliable.
Old 01-23-21, 01:27 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
I don’t have a Kriket. I’ve adjusted my CDX timing belts to 40 Hz and never had any problems. 60 Hz always felt way too tight. Sounds like I could reduce tension even further if I wanted. The advice I received when I bought my first belt was to adjust tension so that you can hear a low bass tone when the belt is strummed, implying that hearing anything at all was good enough. Most people can’t hear below 25 Hz, so that’s consistent with what you’ve found.
Old 01-23-21, 02:19 PM
Bellman

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Don't use a device of any kind - just adjust by feel. Back in the early days (11 years ago when we started using belts), when there was no center track, I'd set them pretty tight. Nowadays with the center track, I keep them looser, but still tight enough to keep quiet and smooth.
Likes For Bellman:
Old 01-25-21, 09:58 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Bellman
Don't use a device of any kind - just adjust by feel. Back in the early days (11 years ago when we started using belts), when there was no center track, I'd set them pretty tight. Nowadays with the center track, I keep them looser, but still tight enough to keep quiet and smooth.
This. Tight enough that it doesn’t skip, which is not that tight, and you’re good to go.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 01-26-21, 01:16 PM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
this. Tight enough that it doesn’t skip, which is not that tight, and you’re good to go.
+1
Likes For Alcanbrad:
Old 01-28-21, 01:36 PM
PaulGrun

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
I gave up on the Gates iPhone app after my finger got raw strumming the belt trying to get any kind of a reading at all, much less what seemed to be reasonably consistent, and now just use the Krikit gauge. I am of the (uniformed) opinion that the tension doesn't matter too much just as long as the belt is tight enough that it doesn't skip but not so tight that the pedals don't turn smoothly.
I initially had the tension set too tight, so on our first couple of rides with a new bike it took me a few minutes to figure out that that new sound I was hearing wasn't the frame creaking ... it was the belt skipping. Tightened up a bit and haven't had a lick of trouble since.
Old 01-31-21, 05:24 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 364 Posts
This thread made me curious enough to pul out the krikit that came with our new tandem. To the extent I’m reading it correctly( agree with BobH about the ambiguity), the tension I set by feel on both our tandems is about 45 pounds.

I bet we could go lighter. But the tight enough to not skip, loose enough to not drag approach has worked for us for 13 years now.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.