Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Speed Sensor mounting alternative - O-Ring?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-21, 06:06 PM
OkFine

Bikes: Bianchi Sempre Veloce eTap, Poseidon X, Cannondale F5,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts

When mounting the Wahoo speed sensor on my bike, I found that the asymmetrical hub on the rear wasn't really suited for a sensor to bridge the gap so I planned on putting it on the front, but the front hub is a smaller diameter than what Wahoo's OEM rubber mounting called for so it slipped around the hub. I trimmed the rubber latching portion off and used a standard O-ring around the hub. Mounted well and looked as good as factory, but in the week the bike sat there unridden the o-ring snapped.

Has anyone else had to adapt the sensor to a smaller diameter hub? I'm not displeased with the O-ring idea; I would just like one that was more pliable/less prone to breaking. Any thoughts?
Old 01-24-21, 06:32 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
How slender is your hub? I have a Wahoo sensor on my front wheel and I've had no issues with the supplied fastener.
Old 01-24-21, 06:38 PM
OkFine

Originally Posted by WhyFi
How slender is your hub? I have a Wahoo sensor on my front wheel and I've had no issues with the supplied fastener.
I haven't measured with calipers, but the supplied mount from Wahoo was very loose. This small of a diameter is the only "downside" to Boyd's Skyuka hubs I've found.

It's entirely possible that the o-ring I purchased was older and brittle, because I can't imagine them being a frequenly restocked item at this hardware store.
Old 01-24-21, 07:34 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by OkFine
I haven't measured with calipers, but the supplied mount from Wahoo was very loose. This small of a diameter is the only "downside" to Boyd's Skyuka hubs I've found.

It's entirely possible that the o-ring I purchased was older and brittle, because I can't imagine them being a frequenly restocked item at this hardware store.
My hub looks to be in the region of an inch in diameter, but it was still a healthy stretch to get the band on there (I remember because it's a pain in the ass doing that through the spokes). I don't recall - did the Wahoo come with two sizes of bands?
Old 01-24-21, 07:53 PM
OkFine

Oh this one isn't approaching an inch in diameter.

Sadly it only came in one size. It could have been very simple for Wahoo to have done ladder rungs in the attachment to fit a wider range of hubs, but I guess this isn't that common of an issue.
Old 01-24-21, 08:40 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Perhaps silicon O-rings work better than standard rubber.
Old 01-26-21, 09:36 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Post a pic of your hub and how you are mounting the sensor. I too run the wireless speed sensor on the front tire and I had to stretch it to fit. That would have to be one skinny hub.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 01-26-21, 02:42 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Why not get a strip of rubber to wrap around the hub (or anything to increase the diameter) and then install the sensor over that?
Old 01-29-21, 12:31 PM
Chubby715

Bikes: Cervelo R5

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 17 Posts
Have you contacted Wahoo support for a solution? It never hurts to ask. They were very helpful when the screen died on my Elemnt Bolt. BTW, my sensor is also mounted on the front wheel but I'm riding Zipp.