Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I Said I Would Never EVER Buy An E-Bike...but

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I Said I Would Never EVER Buy An E-Bike...but

Old 06-28-21, 06:54 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Like they say "Never say never."
Likes For alloo:
Old 06-28-21, 07:12 AM
Rider51

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, S-Works Camber, Eddy Merckx Ti-Ax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I used to be anti e-bike, for all the same reasons as everyone else. Then, I got a job in a bike shop during the pandemic, and decided to open my eyes. E-bikes weren't what I thought, and when I started to see, and talk to, the cross section of riders coming in, I realized they had their place. Not just couples, which is a big plus, saving relationships. But also those getting older, or dealing with injuries, and can't ride as much or far. Commuting instead of driving is also a big one. It's so big, I'm considering buying one for this very reason. Make the world a little better.
Likes For Rider51:
Old 06-28-21, 07:26 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
It bothers me to see young, healthy kids riding them like motorcycles, and I also fear the day when traditional cyclists will be looked down upon by those with the battery power to speed by them, but I think e-bikes have arrived at just the right time, when Baby Boomers are desperate to keep moving and stay healthy.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 06-28-21, 08:19 AM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I'm glad I'm not alone in this. It makes me really happy to see her hair blowing in the wind, smile on her face, still putting in her full effort but actually GETTING SOMEWHERE now. However, it also sucks to suddenly be the slow one. After Saturday's ride, I found myself making a million excuses not to ride with her on Sunday!
Just have to pick up the pace. It's either that or get used to it.
Likes For OldRailfan:
Old 06-28-21, 04:11 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Originally Posted by OldRailfan
My equal half bought an e-bike advertised as "commercial build". Sturdy, but not really fast i.e the pedal assist is limited to 23 kmh. Now I have to "step on it" on inclines, It's the cat's meow on flat terrain where she keeps it to 20 - 22 kmh and I'm just along for the ride.
I promised myself an e-bike for my 80th birthday (2025), until then it will be "sweat it out"!
As it goes... SWMBO was all hot to trot after seeing the e-bikes her friends ride. Short of the story, the one year old just didn't look all that snazzy and the dealer where she bought had another "can't pass that up" sale. Picked it up this morning, put it together and went for a test ride.
We have the ideal topo for that right in the neighbourhood; 10% grades a bit of flat and the perfect 3 k loop.This Quest mid-motor has a 34T chain ring, 11-34 Shimano Altus cassette (8 speeds), 8 steps of pedal assist, disc brakes etc.
On the 10% grades in gear 4 with full (8) pedal assist .... 22kmh .... no sweat. Top speed on the 6% downhill .... 54kmh.
I already "reserved the ride" on our minimal grade rail trail. .... looking for a steady 30+ kmh pace.
Old 06-28-21, 06:13 PM
BianchisOnly

Bikes: 1983 Bianchi Nuova Racing 12 Vel, 1985 Bianchi Centenario, 1988 Bianchi SuperLeggera, 2017 Bianchi Infinito CV (Ultegra), 2017 Bianchi Infinito CV Disc (Red eTap)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I'm in the exact same situation - I have no (real) interest in an e-bike for myself, but got one for my wife as a Christmas present and it's been great for getting us out and riding together. Plus it makes me work more when she suddenly starts pulling away from me without warning! Best part is that she's now confident enough to ride on her own, and getting interested in longer rides with me. There's no downside to this scenario that I've come across yet!
Old 06-28-21, 06:18 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by BianchisOnly
I'm in the exact same situation - I have no (real) interest in an e-bike for myself, but got one for my wife as a Christmas present and it's been great for getting us out and riding together. Plus it makes me work more when she suddenly starts pulling away from me without warning! Best part is that she's now confident enough to ride on her own, and getting interested in longer rides with me. There's no downside to this scenario that I've come across yet!
I may have said this already, but the downside of her suddenly pulling away from me is that she's not such a steady rider and she hasn't mastered riding around automobile or bike traffic in all these years. Being too far behind to warn her of a potential danger ahead is really, really stressful.
Old 06-28-21, 06:28 PM
BianchisOnly

Bikes: 1983 Bianchi Nuova Racing 12 Vel, 1985 Bianchi Centenario, 1988 Bianchi SuperLeggera, 2017 Bianchi Infinito CV (Ultegra), 2017 Bianchi Infinito CV Disc (Red eTap)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I may have said this already, but the downside of her suddenly pulling away from me is that she's not such a steady rider and she hasn't mastered riding around automobile or bike traffic in all these years. Being too far behind to warn her of a potential danger ahead is really, really stressful.
Yeah, I can see that as well. My wife is likewise not fully comfortable riding on streets with cars - though she's gotten much better about it, I still have to "remind" my wife that sidewalks are for people. From that standpoint, she's almost TOO cautious. Cross-traffic hasn't been an issue for her (yet), mostly just feeling like she's pinned between parked cars and traffic - stuff I take for granted. At least her rebellious nature has calmed down enough so she'll wear the helmet we spent time and money on - small wins!
Old 06-29-21, 07:29 PM
tdipail

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 14 Posts
Once an e-bike is in the garage do the other non e-bikes just sit?
Likes For tdipail:
Old 06-29-21, 09:49 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,452 Times in 1,128 Posts
My wife and I solved the slow partner / fast partner dilemma thirty years ago with a tandem. Still riding it 40 to 50 miles a week at ages 69 and 71. I'm not sure there is an ebike in my future: I get too much enjoyment from tiring myself out and getting places under my own power. Besides, I enjoy walking, but we shall see...
Brent
Old 06-30-21, 03:44 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I'd like to take one for a ride, I bet they're fun. But actually buying one would never enter my thought process. I have a sport bike so I'm good there.
Old 06-30-21, 09:26 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
As I have posted elsewhere, the argument about e-bikes is over. People have voted with their money, and e-bikes are everywhere. Already on a 25 mile ride around town, I will see several on the bike path.

On of my friends that laughed at me for cycling has bought one for himself and his wife. In less than a year he already has over 2000 miles on it.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 06-30-21, 11:39 AM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by rydabent
As I have posted elsewhere, the argument about e-bikes is over. People have voted with their money, and e-bikes are everywhere. Already on a 25 mile ride around town, I will see several on the bike path.

On of my friends that laughed at me for cycling has bought one for himself and his wife. In less than a year he already has over 2000 miles on it.
It makes me sad to see young, healthy people riding them around like mopeds, but for people our age (I am 58) and older, I think they are brilliant.
Old 06-30-21, 02:39 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Age 61 here.

This thread brings home to me how super fantastically fortunate I am to be able to ride my ride. I’ve had the immense benefit of an assist motor since 1993. I don’t use it all the time, but almost all of my favorite rides include it. It’s an older model than the super light ones out there now, in fact it weighs 124 lbs, but is capable of putting down some serious wattage. It is self maintaining and is SUPER diligent about making sure it remains strong and fit. It also keeps me smiling and serves as the general brains of the operation even when not on 1 of the 2 extra long specially configured bikes it helps get down the road.

One of those 2 bikes I bought from the estate of an old friend widely known among local riders, who had amassed several hundred trophies, cups, medals etc from his days on the racing scene. “Bicycle Bill” suffered for years from lymphoma, and toward the end of his life he had an e-bike so he could still ride with friends without slowing them down. For him, and for people in his shoes, it was/is brilliant.

I worked all last night and had to get some sleep, so missed todays ride with our usual partners in crime. They sent me a pic of the rest stop on their 40 or so mile ride. Sitting around the table are folks aged 65, 68, 70,71,70,73,73, and I believe 72. Got there under their own power. Sorry, but I find that uniquely admirable. Now, any one of them or of us could wake up in the morning with the onset of what put Bicycle Bill on an e-bike. Let’s hope not. But I think the “kids” sitting around that table are the brilliant ones.

Of course it goes without saying that getting people off the couch and out of the house, and cars off the road, are very very good things. So there's that, too, I get it.

My opinion only, and not meant to dump on any parades and also definitely worth less than 2 cents.
Old 06-30-21, 03:55 PM
Papa Tom

Excellent post, Joe. I don't have one for myself yet, but I am no longer a "Never e-Biker" now that I've seen the world it has opened up for my wife and for our rides together.
Old 06-30-21, 08:44 PM
dhender02

Bikes: Felt Z85 & Trek 7.3FX

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Normally my wife & I will rent bikes when we're on vacation. She really doesn't ride much other than when we're on vacation on a bike tour. Anyway, our last vacation I rented her an e-bike and I had a "regular" bike. She actually enjoyed it, and love the fact she was able to keep up with the group. I'm thinking of getting her one so she can ride here at home.

Like others have said, when the time comes, I will definitely get one so I can continue enjoy riding. Hopefully, that won't be anytime soon...
Old 07-02-21, 01:08 PM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
And here's your ebike section. https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-bikes/
I am curious. Why would you post that?

Last edited by unterhausen; 07-02-21 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-02-21, 02:11 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
Originally Posted by probe1957
I am curious. Why would you post that?
Probably! We do have an ebike section and using it seems to agree with ebike enthusiasts as well as those who aren't. As you know, there is much discussion and controversy as to the status of ebikes within the cycling community. Opinions range from "motors are the same as gears" to "ebikes are just low powered motorcycles, nothing to do with cycling." Nobody wants to rehash all this every time there is a post about an ebike. There is an understanding here on BF that traditional cyclists don't go to the ebike section and stir this up. Ebikers know they have a happy place where they can discuss their hobby w/o having to defend themselves against charges of slackerism and diminished manhood in every thread. Hope this satisfies your "curiosity."

Last edited by unterhausen; 07-02-21 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-02-21, 02:21 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I am off my bikes for a couple weeks because hips and shoulders were not designed to be slammed into the asphalt at 20 mph.
Although I do not desire or see a motorized bicycle in my future at 57 y/o, circumstances change. For now I am hiking to have some aerobic exercise. I just cannot visualize an e-bike delivering enough of a workout to justify the purchase. I will either hike or ride a bit slower with shorter distances. No shame in that. We age.
Old 07-02-21, 05:54 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
I bought my wife an e assist bike 5 years ago so we could ride together. Doing so allowed her to ride with me and do her hardest ride which was 35 miles with 3400’ of climbing. Since then she has done several rides like that. If an e-bike gets someone riding or keeps someone riding, then great.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 07-02-21, 05:59 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,820 Times in 2,978 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I just cannot visualize an e-bike delivering enough of a workout to justify the purchase. I will either hike or ride a bit slower with shorter distances.
You are free to put out exactly the same human wattage on an e-bike as you do on a regular bike. You just go faster and farther that's all, which may or may not matter to you. I would personally only consider an e-bike for road riding if I was really struggling to complete the climbs.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-03-21, 11:46 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
You are free to put out exactly the same human wattage on an e-bike as you do on a regular bike. You just go faster and farther that's all, which may or may not matter to you. I would personally only consider an e-bike for road riding if I was really struggling to complete the climbs.
Exactly... Most people seem to not realize that... Now, having said that, most people are people and will take the easy way out almost every time...
Old 07-03-21, 12:07 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Originally Posted by 350htrr
Exactly... Most people seem to not realize that... Now, having said that, most people are people and will take the easy way out almost every time...

Not me, no e-bike for me prior to my 80th birthday; 3+ years to go.
But I do get to tinker with SWMBO's new e-bike, just to make sure everything is in proper adjustment.. Fun on our 3 K test loop with the up to 16% slopes.
Old 07-06-21, 04:53 AM
Papa Tom

From the OP: We went out again this weekend. She's a little more comfortable with the bike now, so she's not just blasting off and leaving me in the dust every two seconds. I did notice, though, that, of the hundred-or-so people on the bikeway, a much older man and I were pretty much the only two cyclists riding without a motor.
Old 07-10-21, 12:59 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by tdipail
Once an e-bike is in the garage do the other non e-bikes just sit?
No. Each bike has its place.

Originally got the ebike for commuting to work, but then covid put a damper on that. Usually go for the ebike for store runs, especially when you need something from the hardware store to finish up a project. The other good reason is when it looks like rain and I might need to get back in a hurry. Bike has fenders, racks, kick stands, don't need to worry as much about weight with it. Typically ride regular bikes for longer rides.

Every ebike made has adjustable assist levels. Like said earlier you can put out the same effort as a regular bike, you will just have better range and don't need to plan routes as carefully.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.