Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Do short trips count for cadio?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Do short trips count for cadio?

Old 06-21-22, 03:04 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by slickrcbd
Unfortunately, Chicago has issued a "heat warning" that may become a "heat emergency". I drove my car to pick up a prescription today even though it's only a mile. It's just too hot to walk in 90 degree heat. Tomorrow it may break a hundred.
Normally I'd take the bike, unless it is raining, icy, or over 80 degrees. The latter is too common in the Chicago suburbs.
It's supposed to be in over 85 for the next week :-(. No bike riding for me.
Although I recall I used to ride my bike about 3/4 of the mile to the public pool in this weather when I was a kid, I'd be REALLY hot when I got there, and I used to stay until the pool was closed in the hopes it would cool off a little in the evening. I never went anywhere else in this kind of heat even then.
You can still exercise indoors with a huge fan and wetting your shirt and cold water bottle within reach. I do it when temps outside is 100 F without experiencing any problems even without airconditioning.
Old 06-26-22, 07:07 PM
slickrcbd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I meant that I wouldn't be taking the bike when it's 90 degrees. I'm exercising indoors. The problem is that mom's on Coumadin and keeps the air set uncomfortably warm. She used to be like me and preferred lower temperatures until they put her on blood thinners.
How bad is it? I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt and uncomfortably warm and she's got either a sweatshirt, sweat-jacket, or sweater on and complaining about being cold in the same room. She used to prefer even cooler temperatures than me!
She is having health problems. .
Old 06-26-22, 08:20 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
There are some big studies done in 90s is Germany. Internal medicine Dr's found big benefits when monitoring people of various sizes and abilities. They found a key indicator was the point of "Breaking a Sweat". One unusual set of test subjects were people who were in great shape. They found that they could spend the day at the gym but if they did not "Break a Sweat" they had little benefit from thier workout. Now does that mean that when I "Break a Sweat" walking back to the car in the Dairy Queen parking lot I did a work out? ...Ha

I do know that when testing serial blood sugars in Diabetics the Break a Sweat factor is a major point. I have personally seen multiple times a blood sugar drop 20-50 points just at the "Break a Sweat" point. I found it odd that the sugar dropped at the Break a Seat point rather then the point of Max heart rate or VO2. I am sure there are more accurate and recent studies on this factor. I'll try to look um up and post here if I find anything new...
Old 06-27-22, 08:16 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by slickrcbd
I meant that I wouldn't be taking the bike when it's 90 degrees. I'm exercising indoors. The problem is that mom's on Coumadin and keeps the air set uncomfortably warm. She used to be like me and preferred lower temperatures until they put her on blood thinners.
How bad is it? I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt and uncomfortably warm and she's got either a sweatshirt, sweat-jacket, or sweater on and complaining about being cold in the same room. She used to prefer even cooler temperatures than me!
She is having health problems. .
I'm not sure. 90F is my typical workout environment (so I might be quite used to it), also indoors. However, our flat is quite well ventilated. Sometimes I don't even use fan because strong winds goes straight through our flat!

I do wet my shirt before workout. And it will stay wet and keep me cool for at least one hour when I'm pedaling hard. If you don't have wind blowing through your room, you definitely need strong fan to keep cool.
Old 06-28-22, 10:41 AM
goose70

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
It all counts

I'll parrot what others have said about walking if its that close.

I went from an active job (roughly 12-15,000 steps per day) to a sedentary job - (maybe 3000 steps) - all other things being equal , nutrition, cycling , etc. i gained 30 pounds and am fighting like heck to get it back down.

Base activity level is very important even if we dont consider it exercise
Amen to that. I work in downtown Washington, DC, but live in the 'burbs. In DC, most people walk, whether from their apartment to the office, from their office to the Metro, etc. It's very unusual for me to find a fat walker downtown. In the 'burbs, nobody walks. They all get in the car and drive. Granted, the gyms are packed with these same people, but they then get back in the car and resume their sedentary life. The difference in body comp between the 'burbs and downtown is striking.