Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Video: cyclist broadsided

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Video: cyclist broadsided

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-22, 03:12 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Crash2Much
Dickerson Pike or Donaldson Pike don't remember which Nashville TN people walking after dark are killed several times every week.
Not even close to that bad https://www.newschannel5.com/news/co...dickerson-pike
But, yes, a lot of people driving cars act like they shouldn't ever have to stop for pedestrians. The problem is not for the most part with the cyclist or the pedestrian.
Old 09-05-22, 04:32 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,588 Times in 1,223 Posts
Named after Eric Dickerson? Probably were he got his talent avoiding collisions.
Old 09-05-22, 07:29 PM
daaave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I see cyclists running red lights all the time. I have never seen a police officer ticket one either, which is probably why so many do it.
Old 09-06-22, 10:28 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Crash2Much
People try to cross the busy highway after dark
Blame for that typically needs to be shared - on the one hand, there are plenty of road layouts that are extremely hostile to local residents on foot, for example routing a major arterial between housing and something such as park or what passes for local stores that the people who live there often want to access, with official pedestrian crossings often being sparse enough to nearly double the length of someone's walk.

On the other, just deciding to cross where the bad design doesn't support that is a risky move.

Originally Posted by daaave
I see cyclists running red lights all the time. I have never seen a police officer ticket one either, which is probably why so many do it.
Across the river from where this happened, plenty of red light tickets get handed out to cyclists in NYC, often in places that have been notorious spots for that for years now.

It would seem that the ticketing is treated as bad luck rather than changing habits.

Some of those spots are similarly places of bad design - but there's a cost to pretending the world is other than the way it actually is.
Old 09-06-22, 12:44 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by daaave
There is a huge problem activating triggered lights, or triggered left turns. So, some riders get a bit lax about the lights. Or lights that are just red with no cars anywhere in sight.

One issue is there are three types of riders.
  • Experienced riders.
  • Foolish riders.
  • And inexperienced riders that just copy the other two.

I think the young man that got hit in this thread falls in the third category. He may ride quite a bit, but lacks the judgement to safely maneuver through a red light. He apparently didn't even look for traffic.

So he may think he is copying what a more experienced rider might be doing, but in fact is doing just the opposite.
Old 09-06-22, 02:02 PM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
There is a huge problem activating triggered lights, or triggered left turns. So, some riders get a bit lax about the lights. Or lights that are just red with no cars anywhere in sight.

• Experienced riders.
  • Foolish riders.

I think the young man that got hit in this thread falls in the third category. He may ride quite a bit, but lacks the judgement to safely maneuver through a red light. He apparently didn't even look for traffic.

So he may think he is copying what a more experienced rider might be doing, but in fact is doing just the opposite.
I also have that problem with Motorcycles not trigging lights to change. I'll ride through a red light if I consider it save. Why wait for the intersection to jam up with cars, when I can go when there isn't any. I do the same on foot.
Old 09-06-22, 08:38 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

• Experienced riders.
  • Foolish riders.

I think he falls in the foolish category. Did you see the video? Just to his right was a car waiting at the same red light. So what makes his judgment better than that of traffic law? What gives him the privilege to disregard what applies to everybody else in that intersection? Answer: His own foolish mind.
Old 09-06-22, 11:46 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
I run a red once in a while but I look first. That's a failed suicide attempt, IMO.
Old 03-08-24, 09:52 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 789 Posts
The conclusion of this thread. She got out of jail, but her legal problems are not over.

Likes For work4bike:
Old 03-08-24, 11:13 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
The conclusion of this thread. She got out of jail, but her legal problems are not over.
From the end of the video: "As for Andrew Black, he's fully recovered but intends to file a million-dollar civil suit against DeGise along with the city, county, and state for his physical injuries."

That boy's cheese has slid off its cracker. Could he get a little something from DeGise's insurance company? Possibly, but there is no way to hold the city/county/state culpable for negligence. I was 0% at fault for the two times I got hit, and my settlements were low five-figure amounts. This guy is smoking something powerful if he thinks he'll get anything close to seven figures.
Old 03-08-24, 11:34 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 246 Posts
I would counter sue for $5 million for running a red light, EXTORTION, defamation of character, CAUSING an accident, RECKLESS use of a moving vehicle, public endangerment, causing mental distress, and FRAUD. What a total dope.
But hey, the chances of an unbiased jury there is ZERO.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 03-08-24 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-09-24, 12:35 AM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Both, the cyclist, and a motorcyclist, ran the red. They are both lucky it wasn't fatal.