Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Electrolytes

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Electrolytes

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-22, 01:53 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
I really like Skratch Labs electrolyte powder to add to the water bottles. No artificial colors or overly sweet sugars.

Their site https://www.skratchlabs.com/products...31854462042183

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-23-22, 02:23 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Cramps are a great mystery. While many people experience them as being related to warm weather and sweating, the existing studies of cramping in athletes have uniformly failed to show any relation to fluid or electrolyte deficits. Some aspect of fatigue seems to be a better explanation.
I can feel the cramps developing before they kick in - rolling hills with lots of back and forth between low-gear grinding and high-gear spinning, when it's hot... if I stop and rest and drink and pop an Ecap, I can hold them off longer.

This study says there's a lot going on, not a single cause, and not perfect... but electrolytes can help delay the onset of Exercise Associated Muscle Cramps (EAMC)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1150229/
Conclusions: Consumption of a carbohydrate-electrolyte beverage before and during exercise in a hot environment may delay the onset of EAMCs, thereby allowing participants to exercise longer. However, it appears that dehydration and electrolyte loss are not the sole causes of EAMCs, because 69% of the subjects experienced EAMCs when they were hydrated and supplemented with electrolytes.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 08-30-22, 01:26 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
The problem is not with electrolytes during a singe day's ride. It is rather a problem with dehydration as it results in a thickening of the blood and reduced circulation which resulted in the symptoms you experienced.

I go by the color of my urine to easily determine if my body needs more water. Studies have shown that the amount of water needed varies widely with individuals and so drinking X quarts of water a day provides no measurable benefit.

Electrolytes are important but you get enough with a good diet with green vegetables and fruits (bananas). Gatorade is heavily adultrated and whether in a plastic lined can or a plastic bottle it contains BPAs which are seriously detrimental to ones body. But Gatorade deserves an A+ for great marketing.