Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Valve stem exploded

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Valve stem exploded

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-22, 02:21 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Valve stem exploded

4 hours after a 13-mile ride, the valve stem of the front tube exploded, splitting unevenly length-wise. Oddly it still held 29 psi (I inflate to 100.) I had replaced the tube after a flat earlier in the morning, but it was an old Kenda (700x23/25). I've never had a stem explode before.
Old 09-14-22, 02:58 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5776 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,425 Posts
I assume (hope) it was one where the stem is mostly rubber molded around a short brass valve at the end.

If so, it's not unheard of. These are somewhat prone to breakage from things like side stress when pumping, or getting scored by the rim when pushed through.

I've always hated this design and prefer valves that are brass all the way to the tube. However brass is more expensive than rubber, and even half an inch adds up when talking about millions.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-14-22, 05:34 PM
Arthur Peabody

Originally Posted by FBinNY
I assume (hope) it was one where the stem is mostly rubber molded around a short brass valve at the end.
Yes. I can't imagine an all-brass valve splitting length-wise.

These are somewhat prone to breakage from things like side stress when pumping, or getting scored by the rim when pushed through
I've broken them. I keep on patching until a patch won't help. I've had tubes explode just sitting around; this is the first time it's been the valve.

I've always hated this design and prefer valves that are brass all the way to the tube.
The prestas are like this; I've never seen a schrader that was; I've also noticed that they're the same price.
Old 09-14-22, 08:47 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
4 hours after a 13-mile ride, the valve stem of the front tube exploded, splitting unevenly length-wise. Oddly it still held 29 psi (I inflate to 100.) I had replaced the tube after a flat earlier in the morning, but it was an old Kenda (700x23/25). I've never had a stem explode before.
I'm having trouble envisioning this. Is this a Presta or Shrader stem? The stem exploded, yet the tube can hold 29 psi air? By exploding, I assume you mean the material physically separated and ejected like shrapnel. Do you have a picture?
Old 09-15-22, 11:15 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
This seems like something we need to see to believe. At least I do. How 'bout a pic?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-15-22, 11:16 AM
Arthur Peabody

Originally Posted by MudPie
I'm having trouble envisioning this. Is this a Presta or Shrader stem?
Schrader. I can't imagine a Presta's stem exploding.

The stem exploded, yet the tube can hold 29 psi air?
Yes! Odd, no?

By exploding, I assume you mean the material physically separated and ejected like shrapnel.
No, more like a balloon exploding. I heard a loud report, like unto a gun shot, found the stem split, as it would have in an explosion.

Do you have a picture?
No: no camera.
Old 09-15-22, 11:17 AM
Arthur Peabody

The valve stem exploded again this morning, this time cut at its base. I built this wheel 2015 October 28, so I'd think it was good. I replaced the rim strip with a plastic Velox 2017 November 22 - though it is tight. Why am I having trouble now? Have I become careless? I've been inflating tubes for 60 years.
Old 09-15-22, 11:19 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Are you saying a replacement tub also failed at the valve stem? You need to check the rim hole for a sharp edge or burr.
Old 09-15-22, 06:51 PM
Arthur Peabody

Originally Posted by redcon1
Are you saying a replacement tube also failed at the valve stem?
Yes.

Originally Posted by redcon1
You need to check the rim hole for a sharp edge or burr.
I did. Why would it have acquired one after 7 years?
Old 09-15-22, 08:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
With no images or better descriptions I don't see how we can tell you what EXACTLY happened. I have seen more than a few Schreader valve stems, that are the common rubber/molded in type, develop a blister from the inner metal separating from the surrounding molded rubber "jacket". This blister can open (blow out), or not (and that's a funny thing to see, a goiter on one's valve side)

As to what might cause this I can only think of two reasons. One is a faulty stem molding, not unheard of but fairly uncommon and far less to be repeated by the next tube. The other is bad valve use. If the valve stem is wagged or pulled a bunch its internal bonding to the rest of the tube can be damaged. Others might have more experience or understandings. Andy
Old 09-15-22, 11:09 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 1,268 Times in 875 Posts
I've gotten a "blister" on a stem before.
Since yours still held some pressure, it did not "split lengthwise".
You had a longitudinal blister that popped.
Old 09-16-22, 01:23 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
For cuts at the base of a Schrader valve, it is often caused by the valve being crooked.

When installing the tube, make sure the valve exits the hole straight up. If not, pull the tire around until the valve is straight before inflating.

Riding with low pressure can also cause the tire to slip and pinch the valve.

A slow leak potentially could also present as a slipping tire and crooked valve.
Old 09-16-22, 02:21 AM
ign1te

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Such a visual event and no pictures??? Please give pictures.
Old 09-16-22, 07:18 AM
Arthur Peabody

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
With no images or better descriptions I don't see how we can tell you what EXACTLY happened.
Have some pictures.

As to what might cause this I can only think of two reasons. One is a faulty stem molding, not unheard of but fairly uncommon and far less to be repeated by the next tube.
I discarded the bad stem hypothesis after the second occurrence.

The other is bad valve use. If the valve stem is wagged or pulled a bunch its internal bonding to the rest of the tube can be damaged.
As I noted, I've been installing tubes for 60 years. I know I've damaged some through carelessness and riding through tough brush. I've been careful with these, haven't ridden in brush. It also hasn't happened to the rear tube.

The pump, a 15-year-old Serfas FP-50 has gotten hard to remove: could a problem with the pump head cause this?

This is the valve that separated. I had to tear the remaining attached bit to remove the tube from the rim. It didn't cut at the base as I initially reported.

This is the valve that split. The split is hard to see.

This is the valve that split with a toothpick opening the split.
Likes For Arthur Peabody:
Old 09-16-22, 07:28 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
The pump, a 15-year-old Serfas FP-50 has gotten hard to remove: could a problem with the pump head cause this?
Yes, having to use excessive force to remove the pump could tear the valve stem in some cases.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 09-16-22 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-16-22, 09:06 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I had a worn out presta air chuck on my floor pump that did start pulling presta valves out of the tubes. I replaced the chuck and hose for about $4.50 USD and it's still working well 7 years later.

However with Schrader valve tires, another issue might be that you don't put enough air in them and the valves don't stand perpendicular to the rim. So the stem is put under some stress where the angled stem intersects with the hole in the rim. Make certain your valve stems stand upright.
Old 09-19-22, 04:55 AM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
I suspect a combination of the old pump and a sharp bit on the rim that normally doesn’t touch the valve stem but cuts it when you’re wrestling the pump off. So maybe feel around the hole in the rim for any sharp edges to smooth out and also get yourself a new head for the pump.
Old 09-19-22, 06:19 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
The prestas are like this; I've never seen a schrader that was; I've also noticed that they're the same price.
If you're talking metal all the way to the tube, several companies make tubes with Schrader valves like this. Continental is one (who at least brands their own name on the tube), and is my go-to for this reason: Conti tube on Amazon
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 09-20-22, 09:37 PM
Arthur Peabody

Thanks. I've never seen an all-metal stem on a Schrader, not even for my pickup.
Old 09-20-22, 11:06 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 89 Posts
All metal stems were quite common in French bikes in the 1960s & 1970s bike boom. They weren't fused to the inner tube. They had a flange base that was inserted in to a pre cut hole in the tube and then a washer and threaded nut was run all the way down the stem to clamp it in place. My guess is you could at one time buy inner tubes without valve stems and reuse your metal stems. Post ww2 had some major economic effects in some European countries and this is just the sort of savings I'd expect then. Metal based valve stems wouldn't sit well in narrow rims and would get tiny bulges on either side of the valve and blow out inside the tire.

I had a valve stem blow apart like the first photo in post 14. My wife and I rode our tandem one day last year. The next day I found the front tire flat and the part of the stem laying on the garage floor. Just happy it didn't blow while we were riding. Perhaps there was a bad batch of tubes from some factory.

bolted in metal stems are the norm on aluminum automotive wheels where the metal is just too thick for the press in rubber stems.
Likes For rickpaulos:
Old 09-22-22, 08:09 PM
Arthur Peabody

Originally Posted by rickpaulos
All metal stems were quite common in French bikes in the 1960s & 1970s bike boom. They weren't fused to the inner tube. They had a flange base that was inserted in to a pre cut hole in the tube and then a washer and threaded nut was run all the way down the stem to clamp it in place.
I may not understand. I can't imagine a valve that one could insert into a tube withstanding much pressure.

happy it didn't blow while we were riding. Perhaps there was a bad batch of tubes from some factory.
Definitely. It happened while sitting at home, at least 4 hours after last ride, twice for me. It seems too much of a coincidence but I can't imagine a mechanism.

bolted in metal stems are the norm on aluminum automotive wheels where the metal is just too thick for the press in rubber stems.
They're tubeless, right?
Old 09-22-22, 08:11 PM
Arthur Peabody

FWIW I 'reamed' the head of the pump (it's a cheapie with a non-replaceable head) with the butt end of a Bic pen - I didn't want to use a drill bit - and now it attaches to stems normally. I guess it just needed some pushing out.
Old 09-23-22, 09:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

FWIW I 'reamed' the head of the pump (it's a cheapie with a non-replaceable head) with the butt end of a Bic pen - I didn't want to use a drill bit - and now it attaches to stems normally. I guess it just needed some pushing out.
This makes me think you are using a frame pump instead of a floor pump.

If so, then I'm imagining that since the frame pump attaches directly to the valve body you are simply rocking the stem back and forth with every stroke of the pump and simply wearing out the stem against the hole in the rim.

And if that is the case, maybe you should consider getting a floor pump. Though if you insist on a frame pump, a while back I saw that they were making hose adapters you could attach to the frame pump. That might give enough relief to the valve stem to not have to endure every bump of your pump stroke.

And personally I'm not opposed to a cheapie floor pump. Mine cost less than 10 dollars at Walmart or Target circa 2008 or '09 when it was bought. Still works fine, though I did replace the hose and chuck a while back.

Also, if it is indeed a floor pump you have, while you say you can't replace the head you probably can replace the chuck (head) and hose together. Most chucks for frame pumps are sold with the hose already attached to the chuck. And they usually easily detach from the pump body with a clamp band or ferrule that unscrews.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-23-22 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-23-22, 10:50 AM
Arthur Peabody

It's a floor pump I bought for $16 at REI in 2009. It came with a lifetime warranty! I'll have to check it out. I bet replacement parts cost more than a new pump. I'm happy with my fix for the moment.