Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

7th gear chain skipping

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

7th gear chain skipping

Old 09-23-22, 08:32 AM
brian61

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
7th gear chain skipping

After replacing a 32-12 Dnp freewheel with a 34-11 and upgrading the Shimano Tourney derailleur with an Altus I have a persistent but random small chain skip in 7th gear. The bike is a Lectric X Premium. The skipping only occurs about one time every one or two miles. Pedaling hard in 7th won’t induce it. In an effort to fix it I’ve replaced the chain, the derailleur hanger and swapped the Tourney derailleur back in. Using the Park Tools video, Ive repeatedly made every derailleur adjustment possible. Backing the B screw completely out helped reduce the skipping but didn’t eliminate it. I’m just now learning bicycle mechanics and sure could use som help sorting this out. TIA.
Old 09-23-22, 08:44 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Did you install a locking designed for an 11 tooth cog? If you reused the old one from the old cassette that could cause skipping
Old 09-23-22, 08:55 AM
brian61

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks but not sure what you mean by a locking? It’s a freewheel and not a cassette.
Old 09-23-22, 09:17 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Check the chain. A tight link? You said you changed it but if you joined it with a riveter (vs a quick link) you may have left the riveted links binding a little which would show up first on the cog that requires the most link "bend". I drive the rivet through to its correct protrusion on the far side of the link which leaves a touch more rivet on the near side, then place the link over the middle position on the riveter where the far plate is not supported and press the rivet to equal to its neighbors on the near side, putting the play back into the links. Shop mechanics often simply flex the chain side to side to get that play back.
Old 09-23-22, 09:23 AM
brian61

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks, but I used a quick link and have repeatedly checked the chain for tight links but there are none. I’m really at a loss and am wondering if the new freewheel might be defective. When I put the 32-13 freewheel back in the skipping stops. I’m also wondering if an 11 tooth 7th might be too small, but other XPremium owners have used a 34-11 without issue.
Old 09-23-22, 09:24 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Then there is the RD adjustment nobody wants to check, hanger alignment.
Usually the symptoms are more pronounced, but it’s worth a check.

Barry
Old 09-23-22, 09:39 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
You've replaced the DR hanger, you've checked the chain, the wheel is obviously aligned in the frame, and you've adjusted the DR repeatedly, including the 'B' screw. I'll assume you also adjusted the 'H' screw to allow the chain to fully seat on the smaller cog. That actually happened to me once not that long ago. Does it not skip in the stand? I ask because you mentioned that putting power to it didn't induce it to happen more frequently. If you use that 11t as much as I do, you need to figure it out. Don't give up, there's a reason for the problem. Good luck
Old 09-23-22, 09:40 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Being that you changed out the freewheel, do you know if this freewheel is intended to be used with e-bikes?

Even if it is, I see a lot of issues people are having with e-bikes that to me seems like they involve faster wear of parts that don't normally wear fast for non-e-bikes. And one of the bad habits I feel some or many e-bikers get into is accelerating in too high a ratio gear that causes more wear on those affected parts.
Old 09-23-22, 09:52 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by brian61
Thanks but not sure what you mean by a locking? It’s a freewheel and not a cassette.
Sorry, I missed the freewheel part mainly because freewheels with 11 tooth small cogs are very rare
As well, 11 tooth cogs wear out very quickly if used most of the time
Old 09-23-22, 10:22 AM
brian61

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What is an RD adjustment? I’ve tried adjusting the barrel adjuster and the high and low limit screws. Thanks
Old 09-23-22, 10:23 AM
brian61

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How adjust hanger alignment? Does that imply the frame might be bent?
Old 09-23-22, 10:38 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
A properly aligned der hanger will allow the der cage to be "in plane" with the cogs, the two pulleys will be vertically in line with the cog that is in use. When the pulleys/cage is off line the chain can catch the cage plates, ride up and off the pulley teeth and/or the indexing (having the pulleys directly below the desired cog after each shift) can be off and this means the stupid chain thinks it is being told to try shifting.

After installing a new hanger one should confirm its alignment. Additionally one should check the der's range of movement WRT the cog set (with the limit screws).

Don't assume that the only place a chain can catch an adjacent sprocket is only at the back. Stuff can happen at the crankset too. Andy
Old 09-23-22, 10:54 AM
PTbiker

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Well, I have a "similar" problem - although the new chain skips when pedaling mildly - and it's due to the 7th cog of the freewheel being worn out.
Old 09-23-22, 10:54 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
How adjust hanger alignment? Does that imply the frame might be bent?
The Wheel is held in the frame.
The Freewheel (or cassette) is attached to the wheel, and turns true with the wheel.
The RD (Rear Derailleur) is connected to the Frame by the Hanger (replaceable or not, it's still a hanger)

It is the job of the Hanger to hold the RD in the same plane as the wheel.
If the hanger is bent (and some are, even from new) then the RD cannot function correctly.

The Hanger Alignment Tool is a gauge and lever combined.
The gauge is used to check that the RD mounting bolt hole, is aligned to the wheels rim, within 1/8".

My local bike store charges ~$25 if you have the RD already removed and don't expect them to realign/adjust the RD settings

After a couple store visits I purchased the tool, which made my cycling buddies very happy!

Barry
Old 09-23-22, 11:10 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
I have no clue about a washer behind the freewheel or if it even plays a part in any of this, but I found this thread on your brand of e-bike...

https://electricbikereview.com/forum...eewheel.39763/

John
Old 09-23-22, 11:40 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 956 Posts
When I put the 32-13 freewheel back in the skipping stops.
So it's the 11-34t freewheel then. I suggest you use the 11-34t freewheel a bunch more. Sometimes it just takes some breaking in to smooth the rough edges. Unfortunately the quality for these 7s freewheels are not the best currently. They take some breaking in.
Old 10-10-22, 10:19 AM
brian61

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks to all who replied here. After trying again to adjust the skipping problem away, even replaced the chain and freewheel, I posted the following on the Lectric Facebook X Premium group: 7th gear skipping has been driving me crazy for 1300 miles. In an effort to solve it I have upgraded the derailleur to an Altus, installed a new DR hanger, shortened the chain, three times replaced the freewheel and replaced the chain 2x. I have given up trying to get 7th gear with a 34-11t freewheel to work. Though with that freewheel, I did manage to get the skipping reduced to one small skip every 5 to 20 twenty miles. So damn random! This was somewhat acceptable but still annoying. Yesterday, after putting around 600 miles on the 34-11t freewheel and chain, I swapped in an OEM 32-12t freewheel that Lectric sent me under warranty along with a new KMC E8 chain. Am hoping that it will solve the problem but I am not that confident it will. After installing it yesterday I went for a 36 mile ride and had one small 7th gear skip at the 21 mile mark. I readjusted the H limit screw, 1/2 turn, to move the chain slightly outboard from the wheel and it didn't skip again. Will be doing a longer ride today to see what happens. Here are some things I learned trying to figure this out: 1. When I first put the 34-11t freewheel on it skipped in 7th gear once every mile or two. I discovered that the derailleur hanger was slightly bent. After replacing it with a new hanger ( I had straightened the old one 2x previously) the skipping only occurred, as stated above, 1x every 5 to 20 miles. I rode like this for around 400 miles until I removed that freewheel yesterday. 2. Shortening the chain helped but did not eliminate the problem. I used the Park Tools Easy/Hard chain sizing video. With a 34t freewheel the chain was 124 links and with a 32T freewheel its now 122 links. 3. Backing the B screw out moves the upper jockey wheel of the derailleur up toward the sprocket which puts more chain on the 7th gear sprocket. This helps but also does not solve the problem. If you do this you must reset the H limit screw and reindex the derailleur. 4. Using a 32-13t freewheel seems to solve the problem. I used one for about 400 miles and the chain never skipped in 7th gear. However I was unhappy with the cadence in 7th gear so I tried again a 34-11t freewheel with the results described above. 4. There is a whole school of thought among the DIY community that says to avoid 11 and even 12t 7th gear on a mid drive motor, there is just too much torque and the chain will skip in 7th gear. 5. Stay out of PAS 4 and 5 in 7th gear with an 11 or 12t 7th. There is just too much torque and you will quickly wear out the freewheel and the chain. If, like me, you are not a bike mechanic and you've never had a mid-drive ebike, it takes a good while to really learn how to ride the bike in a manner that preserves the drive train. Am hoping the OEM freewheel I put on yesterday will solve the issue but, like I said, I've already had one small skip. If anyone with more knowledge than me has any suggestions, I'm all ears.
Old 10-10-22, 01:44 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Which gears do you normally use when you start off from a stop?
Old 10-10-22, 01:50 PM
brian61

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
3rd - 5th depending on the circumstance.
Old 10-10-22, 03:14 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

3rd - 5th depending on the circumstance.
Assuming first gear is the biggest tooth count cog that gives you the lowest ratio. And considering it probably only has 7 gears on the rear with big steps in ratio between each gear, then starting in 3rd might be reasonable. But starting out in 5th gear is probably putting a lot of wear and tear on the cogs, chain and motor that wasn't intended.

With electric motors it's more like a steam engine. You just smoothly surge ahead and all seems well when it's not really. That's why steam locomotives had an Engineer. Because he knew how much torque could be put on the various parts of the locomotive. And the engineer carefully controlled the amount of steam being let into the cylinders as the train accelerated and for any other times.

If you were doing this with a gasoline engine or entirely with your own legs, you'd be aware of the stress because the gasoline engine would be bucking or stalling out and your legs would be groaning with pain well before you put too much force on the gear train. Unless perhaps you are built like a professional sprinter. But you probably aren't, but the e-bike lets you ride like one.

Last edited by Iride01; 10-10-22 at 03:19 PM.
Likes For Iride01: