Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Conversion: Dahon Espresso to Drops & STI's

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-13, 10:36 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts

I have long thought about doing this, and now that my wife crashed the Dahon and busted up the left shifter, I think I might as well have the thing apart and see what comes of it.

I have all the parts I need except the front canti hanger, and possibly a new lighter crankset. The handlebars I have ar 46cm, which is wider than I like, but I might make do.

Older Sora 8 speed STI's.

Old Shimano Cantis from my wife's bike (will give her bike the V-Brakes and re-set the pull on her adjustable brake levers.) New pads.

New 8 speed cassette to replace the 7-speed cassette I now have on the freehub.

Old rear brake cable hanger.

Old 8 speed "STX RC" RD.

Deore Top swing/Top pull RD (48T max)

much higher angle (but shorter) stem.

A 700c skinny conversion is also possible, especially with a new fork, but I think I still want fenders and my studded tires for winter.

Someone else's example:

Dahon Espresso Road Project - ready to go by schoccaland, on Flickr

Maybe I should go with bullhorns+ STI rather than drops... but the more I look at that skinny tire version... I have a 5500 105 9 speed set just waiting to be put on something.

Which way should I go? Part of the issue I face is being six foot four and needing to get the bike as "big" as possible.

Commute is 1 mile to train, 1.5 train to work. 16 work to home if I want to get the ride in. When I ride the whole way home on the bike as built, I'm beat by the end from the weight and lack of hand positions.

Last edited by Standalone; 10-14-13 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-15-13, 10:25 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I must say that I am impressed by that Espresso conversion. I want one.

Concerning your question: Fit and comfort are primary for a long ride. Do you think that this bike could be adapted to fit a 6' 4" tall person for a 16 mile ride? I question that. What is the frame measurements. What size would you normally ride in a road bike, 64"?
Old 10-15-13, 11:27 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

61cm-67cm. Most comfortable on my Panasonic 66x59, a nice ride on centuries.

Part of the idea is to give more hand positions for the long ride.

And I have ridden that 16 mile ride home on the bike as pictured. Sometimes with studded tires. Sometimes with a topeak kiddie seat. Sometimes I rode both ways on an extracycle, with a kid on the back for the last seven miles.

Kids are out of daycare now so I don't have to include that in my commute. But I miss it-- it got me in fantastic shape.

I do need a longer seatpost, though-- maybe a 400mm w/ setback.

But really, where else am I to go for a large-enough ride that folds fast for the train? Part of the reason it's wearing Conti T&C 2.1"s is to make the bike ride a little bigger and bulkier than it would on the 1.5" tires that came stock.

I started out bike commuting riding a little 16" Dahon Curve D3 10 miles/day!

Last edited by Standalone; 10-15-13 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-11-13, 09:09 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Done. Old Ritchey OCR rear wheel with an 8 speed cassette + some old Sora 3x8 shifters + a crankset from a throwaway cannondale from the neighbor kid (for which I found a new fork -- it's getting the old drivetrain from the Espresso.)

New FD, rear cantis, cables, tape, and housing from the LBS.

Terry aero saddle from a box o parts in some CL deal or other...

I'm psyched.

Old 11-12-13, 09:32 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Nicely done, sir! I very much like the triple (but I'm a triple kinda guy, so that's not surprising).
Old 11-12-13, 10:38 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Originally Posted by cplager
Nicely done, sir! I very much like the triple (but I'm a triple kinda guy, so that's not surprising).
A triple is nice on a folder b/c you don't want to mash really hard on the flexible and admittedly creaky aluminum folding frame. I rarely use it, and hate adjusting the FD, but at the end of a long day, I want those low gears to spin up the hills on the way home -- just in case.

Also, I was thinking that doubles don't play well with the frame, which is rather wide at the chainstays.

It's great with that new MTA commuter rail station that just opened up near my home in West Haven!
Old 12-19-13, 12:51 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Snowy commute.

Old 12-19-13, 01:44 PM
darukhan

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well done Standalone... that's a really nice conversion!
Old 12-20-13, 05:46 PM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I admire what you have done, it is an attractive bike. A full size road (wide tire commuter) bike that folds! How do you like it? Does the Espresso frame allow the concept to work. I have a chance to buy used espresso and was considering doing what you have done. I just wondering how you felt about the quality of the ride/frame and whether the results met your expectations. How does it ride?
Old 01-15-14, 11:42 AM
schocca

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zebede
I admire what you have done, it is an attractive bike. A full size road (wide tire commuter) bike that folds! How do you like it? Does the Espresso frame allow the concept to work. I have a chance to buy used espresso and was considering doing what you have done. I just wondering how you felt about the quality of the ride/frame and whether the results met your expectations. How does it ride?
Pretty close to a regular bike.

I own the 700c hoofed Silver Espresso in the picture (Dahon Espresso Road Project). Thanks for the comments about my bike and hello to all on this thread! :-)
- Mine now has a RS80 C24 wheelset + Duranos for the English roads + Road racer MkII mudguards
- Weight is 10Kg. This is significantly lighter than the standard Dahon Espresso build which makes it very nice to ride.

- I use it a lot for commuting across East London and on the train. Clocked up over 3K Miles so far with it.

I helped advise on a Dahon Jack road conversion here - https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/is-...3#post-2753335
- He used a recent Sora groupset for the build. He also uses a regular road bike and says the ride is pretty close to his regular roadie.

If anybody wants the parts recipe for the Sora version, I'm happy to post an Excel spreadsheet with the parts I recommended.

Best regards,

Schocca.
Old 01-15-14, 11:57 AM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by zebede
...full size...
are you havin' a giggle?

Old 01-15-14, 11:59 AM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by schocca
I'm happy to post an Excel spreadsheet with the parts I recommended.
please do!
Old 01-15-14, 01:04 PM
schocca

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Parts list for the Sora Dahon Jack road conversion spreadsheet (Dropbox public link) - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20black%29.xls

Come back to me if this link does not work. Obviously the weblinks/prices are based re UK sources/£, but it will give you an idea.
Additionally re the crankset - I would pay extra and go to a full Sora crankset (inc BB) if you can - Just one thing less to worry about.

Disclaimer -> I hold no responsibility if your adventures go bad! But I would like to see pictures if it all works out ok!

Last edited by schocca; 01-15-14 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-17-14, 04:12 AM
DR03K

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Loving this conversion. I'm slowly doing somethign very similar. I own a pininfarina folding bike, which is pretty much a re-badged Dahon Espression.
The only modifications i've done so far are Saddle / Pedals (Shimano Combination spd) / Ergon 2 Grips on handle bar (temp solution until I change to drop handbars).

My intentions are to convert to drop handles, but potentially retain the 26" wheels using slicks, along with the stock brakes.

My question: If I kept my entire groupset as is and simply added drop handbars and Shimano Tourney A073 7 Speed Triple STI Lever Shimano Tourney A073 7 Speed Triple STI Lever Set | Evans Cycles

Would these be compatible with the current 7 speed cassette / RD / FD of the stock Dahon espresso?... would it be a simple transfer across?..

Thanks
Dan
Old 03-26-14, 12:57 PM
schocca

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It all depends on what the current groupset is. The Dahon version comes with SRAM kit. Road STIs with MTB RDs normally have compatability issues. You need to search the forums. The problem I have is that the kit you are talking about is pretty low level, so I doubt that you will find much regarding suitability.

It's normally always worth upgrading to a full road STI set... the experience is significantly better (and lighter). My Espresso bike has Tiagra 2012. The black Jack was done with the latest Sora, which has a very good rep nowadays. I had the same conversation with the guy who did the Jack conversion. In the end, once your start to go road, it's worth the effort to go all the way.

On another point is weight. A road bike is light, the Espresso/Jacks weigh about 14-16Kg. You might have a bike with drops, but the weight is still chunky (and the wheels will be heavy and slow). If you put thought in the road kit, buy kit with weight listed, then you can get it down to 10.5Kg easy.

I hope that helps. Schocca.
Old 04-01-14, 02:09 AM
DR03K

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It all depends on what the current groupset is. The Dahon version comes with SRAM kit. Road STIs with MTB RDs normally have compatability issues. You need to search the forums. The problem I have is that the kit you are talking about is pretty low level, so I doubt that you will find much regarding suitability.

It's normally always worth upgrading to a full road STI set... the experience is significantly better (and lighter). My Espresso bike has Tiagra 2012. The black Jack was done with the latest Sora, which has a very good rep nowadays. I had the same conversation with the guy who did the Jack conversion. In the end, once your start to go road, it's worth the effort to go all the way.

On another point is weight. A road bike is light, the Espresso/Jacks weigh about 14-16Kg. You might have a bike with drops, but the weight is still chunky (and the wheels will be heavy and slow). If you put thought in the road kit, buy kit with weight listed, then you can get it down to 10.5Kg easy.

I hope that helps. Schocca.
Thank you for the tips.
I'll definitely be taking your advice on board and eventually get a decent groupset and do the job properly.

In the interim, I've added drops/new stem (These two I snagged in CRC clearance) and Tektro RL520s levers (bought cheap from ebay) .. these are drop levers designed to work with v-brakes.
I've even retained my microshift twisters, mounted on a thorn accessory bar... which surprisingly works really well, despite the abomination.

Anyhow, happy with the setup for now, but 105/tiagra groupset is definitely on the cards!
I think i'll try source the parts cheaply over-time and then make the transition.

I do potentially have access to 105 brakes, FSA SLK carbon crankset, 105 RD, sora FD, Sora STIs
But the kit looks well used.

With regards to mounting the brakes, did you have to file-out more space to fit the connecting bolt in the front fork?

Couple of pictures

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140325_105044.jpg (88.3 KB, 332 views)
20140325_105115.jpg (90.3 KB, 349 views)

Last edited by DR03K; 04-01-14 at 02:23 AM.
Old 04-14-14, 03:22 AM
schocca

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the colour scheme... looking good! :-).

For me, as I was going 700cc, I replaced the front fork completely with a carbon/alloy version designed for road bikes. That saved a lot of weight and improved the ride (carbon reduces the vibrations from the front wheel). The fork version I used was this:
Wiggle | Columbus Tusk Carbon Fork | Forks

Columbus also do trekking versions of the fork (with V brake fit points) if you want to keep the 26" wheels...
Old 04-21-14, 01:21 AM
DR03K

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the colour scheme... looking good! :-).

For me, as I was going 700cc, I replaced the front fork completely with a carbon/alloy version designed for road bikes. That saved a lot of weight and improved the ride (carbon reduces the vibrations from the front wheel). The fork version I used was this:
Wiggle | Columbus Tusk Carbon Fork | Forks

Columbus also do trekking versions of the fork (with V brake fit points) if you want to keep the 26" wheels...
I was thinking about changing the front fork, but was hesitant due to loosing the folding fastening mechanism on the front. (Stock magnets are weak so its not a deal breaker, but I've since added rare earth magnets that are about 5x stronger).

I understand you have part train commute? How do you handle securing the bike during transit?
Old 04-23-14, 11:56 AM
schocca

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DR03K
I was thinking about changing the front fork, but was hesitant due to loosing the folding fastening mechanism on the front. (Stock magnets are weak so its not a deal breaker, but I've since added rare earth magnets that are about 5x stronger).

I understand you have part train commute? How do you handle securing the bike during transit?
The larger wheels keep the folder together. To be honest, I'm not really bothered by the magnet, I use my helmet via my drops to tie to the train internal fixtures. The rear wheel stays pretty still for most of the journey.

The biggest issue with the front forks is the headset bearings. When you change out the fork, keep the existing headset bearings/seat in good condition, you may need them for the new fork.
Old 05-29-14, 03:46 PM
DR03K

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The larger wheels keep the folder together. To be honest, I'm not really bothered by the magnet, I use my helmet via my drops to tie to the train internal fixtures. The rear wheel stays pretty still for most of the journey.

The biggest issue with the front forks is the headset bearings. When you change out the fork, keep the existing headset bearings/seat in good condition, you may need them for the new fork.
Thanks. Just poured some money into this project.
Shimano R501 wheelset
Carbon road fork
Tektro caliper brake set with long reach adjustable.
Tektro RL340 levers
Plus components for single speed conversion.

My commute is about 3 miles to station, 4 miles in london and then back.

Should get a better workout with the clutter free single speed setup ;-)

Shall post pictures once complete.
Old 06-04-14, 06:17 AM
DR03K

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Project completed. Runs really well.
Attached Images
20140603_115741_resized.jpg (92.0 KB, 353 views)
20140603_115752_resized.jpg (98.2 KB, 342 views)
20140603_115800_resized.jpg (94.5 KB, 331 views)
20140603_115811_resized.jpg (96.5 KB, 339 views)
Old 06-05-14, 06:23 AM
schocca

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That looks cool - can you post this on lfgss.com (in the projects area) as well?
Old 06-05-14, 06:26 AM
schocca

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And can I ask how much it weighs?
Old 08-22-14, 04:09 AM
DR03K

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bottom Bracket Problem.

And can I ask how much it weighs?
Sorry, only just noticed this reply! - my apologies.

I've actually taken the next step now and gone ahead with the full geared conversion, similar to your own schocca.
I've used mainly 9 speed sora RD/shifters/gears - fsa crankset and the cyclocross FD (10 speed top pull).

Only issue I'm having is with the bottom bracket. Did you change the stock bottom bracket on the dahon?

It would appear the spindle length on mine is too long for the FSA crankset, the FD cage doesn't swing out enough, even with limit screw fully out.

Any suggestions on the correct BB to use?
Old 08-22-14, 10:13 PM
jimboach

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the idea and was considering one of these but I didn't like the flat bar. I'd reconsider that stem, however. Do you just like the positioning? The first conversion above, I think had it right. Nonetheless, it's a huge improvement over stock. Well done!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.