Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do various "wide" shoes compare?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-26-21, 06:41 PM
pakossa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

I have pretty wide feet, at least 115mm, best I can measure. I have an old pair of Sidi "Megawide" 45eu (MTB/spd cleats), which fit good, but are getting really worn. I ordered Lake wide mx176, which are definitely too narrow. Are the new Sidi's as wide as the older ones? I see Shimano has a few models labeled "wide." How do those compare to the others? Any other options for wide feet?
Old 10-26-21, 09:07 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Different Lake shoes have different fit: https://www.lakecycling.com/pages/fit-matrix
MX176 are listed as narrow width shoes...
Likes For Oso Polar:
Old 10-27-21, 07:14 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Fizik now have some very wide fitting shoes. I also have fairly wide feet (112 mm x 281 mm) and I find the Fizik R4 Wide is very generous in my size. The toe-box in particular is huge.

Edit: I see you mentioned Shimano. I previously tried their standard fit shoes and they were way too narrow for me. I didn't try their wide fit, but I read that they are not that much wider.
Old 10-27-21, 07:21 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I have had some luck with Lake shoes .... I have duck feet, so nobody really makes wide enough shoes, but some Lake models are okay.

Hard to buy shoes online unless you like returning stuff.
Old 10-27-21, 07:27 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Lake CX301 in size 46 wide is the most ridicilously comfortable, lightweight shoe I've had. The upper is very slipper-like which I find to be very comortable (but it doesn't keep your feet locked up very tight with the single boa dial, so if you're looking for that it's not ideal) It's also permeable to water and wind, so if you have cold feet these are cathegorically not for you outside summertime - I don't have that problem so I wear them all year around, albeit with shoe covers when it's really wet or close to zero.

Love them, myself.

Foot width is, best I can measure (it depends how exactly do you measure it), around 112mm, and the shoe initially felt a slight bit wider than neccessary for me, but I've gotten used to it since.
Old 10-27-21, 07:41 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20804 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Lake has three or four different lasts (foot bed shapes, essentially); some are wider than others and some are available in additional Wide and Extra Wide widths. Check their fitting chart - https://www.lakecycling.com/pages/sizing-chart

As far as shoes on the market in general, most brands don't do an actual Wide shoe - they're primarily High Volume. IOW, the foot bed shape is the same as their regular shoes, but they give you more generous shoe uppers to let your foot "spill over" the sides of the foot bed. Sidi, Shimano, Giro, etc - they're all still doing HV, as of the last time I checked a couple of years ago.

In addition to Lake, Bont does actual wide shoes.
Old 10-27-21, 07:55 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I've been through all the brands and all the wide shoe options. I ended up with custom and semi-custom Riivos. They are expensive but were well worth the cost.

After that, Lake is really your best bet. You do need to look at how wide each last is. The higher end Lakes are narrower than some of the lower end models - even in the wider widths. Lake also offers wider options than Bont. Lake's customer support is also great at answering questions and helping you determine what size is best for you. For example, some models have heat moldable heels, so if you have narrow heels (like me), you can still get a comfortable fit without heel slip.

As WhyFi noted, several other brands offer "wide" versions. I have not been a fan. They generally have the same width outsole as the regular version, but with more material to allow your foot to "spill over." This was fine for easy riding, but I found that once I really started hammering, my foot moved all over the place because the excess material made things unstable. Also, in several instances, I found that the edge of the outsole caused a pressure spot on my foot that was uncomfortable.
Old 10-27-21, 01:55 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
My Lake 303 winter boots in wide are not as wide as my Shimano XC7 mt. bike shoes. Im sticking with Shimano from now on
Old 10-27-21, 02:21 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts
I have Lake CX238s and S-Works 7s in wide sizes. They are very different shoes built on different lasts. Both are “good,” but I like the S-Works better. The guy I bought them from couldn’t use them at all and was happy with Bonts. Find a last which fits your foot. Subjective opinions are not going to help you.
Old 10-28-21, 03:14 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I have had some luck with Lake shoes .... I have duck feet, so nobody really makes wide enough shoes, but some Lake models are okay.

Hard to buy shoes online unless you like returning stuff.
bet you are a good swimmer.....
Old 10-28-21, 04:23 PM
83cannondale

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 83 Cannondale, 70s Raleigh International, 70s Bob Jackson, 70s Gitane tandem, 2018 Trek Domane SL7, Giant Yukon MTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
SPD cleats in a wide?

I have the same problem.. made more complicated by using SPD cleats. Been using sidi wide but research tells me they use their standard last but just give more material so wide feet can get in...
I occasionally do randonneuring events so can be on the bike 12+ hours for several days. Sometimes 24- 40 hours straight in worse case scenarios.
I've been getting numbness in little toes so figure it's time for an upgrade.. Anyone know of SPD shoes with wide last? I'd prefer something that looks more racey than touristy.. Maybe a cross shoe..? I don't know if it makes s difference but I'll be 70 next month..
ThanksT
Old 10-28-21, 05:10 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20804 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by 83cannondale
I have the same problem.. made more complicated by using SPD cleats. Been using sidi wide but research tells me they use their standard last but just give more material so wide feet can get in...
I occasionally do randonneuring events so can be on the bike 12+ hours for several days. Sometimes 24- 40 hours straight in worse case scenarios.
I've been getting numbness in little toes so figure it's time for an upgrade.. Anyone know of SPD shoes with wide last? I'd prefer something that looks more racey than touristy.. Maybe a cross shoe..? I don't know if it makes s difference but I'll be 70 next month..
ThanksT
Lake does plenty of SPD shoes. Many models have a CX (road) and MX (SPD) variants.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-30-21, 11:08 AM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I bought a new pair last month and found that a size 44 would vary in length depending on the model of shoe. Even with Shimano the sizing was not consistent and I ended up buying a size 45. I bought at least 8 pairs of shoes online and then sent back the ones that did not fit. REI made this easy in my case as I could return the shoes to the local store.

In general German lasts tended to be wider and Italian ones narrower than American ones but now with all the shoe production now in China it becomes a trial and error process. You can read shoe review on Amazon and REI and see which shoes people with wide feet found comfortable. You may need to go up one size in length to get the width you need.