Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Not a good way to start 2022 - Bernal's crash

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-22, 09:17 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4367 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts

Apparently he hit a *parked* bus? Broken femur, patella, and more.

Medical officials said Bernal suffered several injuries, including trauma to his neck, thorax, and leg. An X-ray released to the Colombian media revealed a fractured femur for the 2020 Giro d’Italia winner.
https://www.velonews.com/news/road/b...llowing-crash/

There's no way he'll be in form in time for Le Tour. Who is plan B for Ineos? Yates? Carapaz?
Old 01-25-22, 12:38 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
lost track of all the gc sausage fest guys for ineos. haven't looked at the tdf course yet but the trend has been dipping in regards to tt stages.

if that's still true, thinking ayates and gthom will be support bros and they'll hoist carapaz into the top spot. pretty sure i'm forgetting a gc rider or two...

throw hayter and pidcock in there and you're pretty much set.

**edit** forgot about amador, van baarle, tgh and sivakov (long off-season obvs). any mix of the above mentioned will be formidable. personally, hoping
tgh and sivakov get let off the tour leash and get to target the giro and vuelta. helluva one-two punch. and then you've still got martinez, richie, ganna and
kwiatkowski. thinking yatesie, ganna and gthom target the heaviest tt gt(s).

maybe bernal comes back in time for la vuelta. he's probably better suited for that anyway.

Last edited by diphthong; 01-25-22 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-25-22, 10:47 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by ooga-booga

maybe bernal comes back in time for la vuelta. he's probably better suited for that anyway.
At the moment it looks pretty bad. He's in intensive care, had spinal surgery that they think maintained "neurological integrity", as well as knee surgery and perhaps more to come.

fractured vertebrae, right femur, right patella, chest trauma, a punctured lung, and fractured ribs after colliding with a bus.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 01-25-22, 11:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
That is really unfortunate for Bernal. I'll wish him the best for his recovery.

As for Yates or Carapaz, I'd almost have to say Yates because he is older and seems to show more ability to temper his use of energy for early efforts of the ride knowing what he'll need for the end. Carapaz just seems to go all out too long and wears himself out before the race is close to the finish and just has enough energy then to make a show for the cameras.

Ineos still has plenty of talent to draw from. To me their bigger issue is whether they'll realize everyone now knows how to defeat what was previously a winning strategy and come up with some new strategy.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-25-22, 09:38 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by MinnMan
At the moment it looks pretty bad. He's in intensive care, had spinal surgery that they think maintained "neurological integrity", as well as knee surgery and perhaps more to come.
wow, didn't realize the damage was that extensive. best wishes to bernal on a complete recovery. looks like the entirety of competitive racing is probably off the table for his 2022.
Old 01-25-22, 09:50 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

is it 7 or 8 riders for the gt's these days? don't remember. anyway, this year's tdf has that opening 13km tt along with a penultimate tt stage of a not insignificant 40km.
haven't seen stage profiles after the most cursory of searches. grrr.
thinking ineos rolls out sivakov, martinez, gthom, ayatesie, van baarle (for the cobbles), ganna, richie and kwiatkowski. maybe richie gets swapped out for a flats/foothills plow horse.
Old 01-26-22, 11:27 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
His season is over. His career may be over even. He is lucky to be alive. Forget the injuries, the trauma on the body can kill someone.
Old 01-26-22, 11:55 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Yeah I was gutted to read that - he really caught my attention last Giro on the "strade bianca" gravel stage and even at strade bianca. Really great control on the gravel, really really disappointed to see this. "Good news" is the spinal surgery went well, he didn't have any hip or pelvis breakage. If Froome can recover as well as he did I hope Bernal will as well.

How about that mental aspect though? Going to be a long road there - hoping "in my feel good happy world" that maybe he gets some coaching from fellow Colombian Rigo - can't believe he still competes after all the terrible crashes he's had. Carapaz also had a nasty accident a few years ago, good to have that teammate support and advice.

... God knows G could add some insight

I was thinking of Richie Port appearing and maybe contesting the tour for ineos but he can't descend to save his life.
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 01-26-22, 12:12 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Lemond came back after a 12 ga shotgun blew his chest apart. That other American recovered from cancer.

The big unknown with Bernal's injury is the extent of damage to his thoracic spine. That he has mobility in all 4 limbs is good news. Based upon what I have read from other athletes with similar/exact injuries, he could be back onto a trainer within 2 months and training hard in 4 months if the femur break was clean. I am old as can be and I broke my trochanter (hip), 5 ribs, scapula, clavicle, humerus in three pieces (compound), and elbow in 5 pieces. I was riding in one month (29 days) and 4 months later, I am still in pain but can ride.

I would not count him out for the La Vuelta in late Summer. I'm praying for him
Old 01-26-22, 02:32 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 453 Posts
Dios mio. Que lastima. I think the prognostications are uninformed at this point and casual injury parallel comparisons are absurd. I hope he gets his life and health back. Anything else will be gravy. I hope he gets some gravy, too.

ooga-booga , it's been a heckuva winter, no? I think they're still running 8 in a GT team but WTFDIK?

I thought Richie was pulling the plug this year on Le Tour, and maybe on all of it after some early season races. Though perhaps I'm having a senior moment and flashing back to Cadel. It looks like they're having a little Tourito Down Under right now with a few World Tour personalities, but it's not a proper race. Covid and all.

Ineos has plenty of depth. A little light on Slovenians, though. And unfortunately now down a Colombian, too.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 01-27-22, 08:18 AM
Gyro

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts

I knew a guy that road into the wall of the this building head on. I have to idea how fast he was going, the run up to the wall isn't that long. He didn't have anywhere near the injures Bernal has. His crash brought about a complete change in his personally. Had divorced, left his job and moved away within months of his expected recovery time. God know what Bernal will have to go through mentally to come back.
Old 02-07-22, 06:45 AM
GrainBrain

Not a bad way to start my Monday morning. If Bernal can stand up maybe I too can get off the couch and into work.
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 02-07-22, 03:06 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
Terrible. Just terrible!!!!!
Old 03-14-22, 10:06 PM
MinnMan

Lot's of stories afoot about Bernal's recovery, which seems to be going better than anybody could have hoped. I guess it's possible he could race by the end of the summer. Maybe not in top form, but still, that would be grand....

https://cyclingtips.com/2022/03/ineo...ing-this-year/
Old 03-14-22, 11:48 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

hoping post #2 still works. would love to see him thrash la vuelta participants. plan for the worst, hope for the best...
Likes For diphthong:
Old 03-15-22, 04:55 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by slcbob
Dios mio. Que lastima. I think the prognostications are uninformed at this point and casual injury parallel comparisons are absurd. I hope he gets his life and health back. Anything else will be gravy. I hope he gets some gravy, too.

ooga-booga , it's been a heckuva winter, no? I think they're still running 8 in a GT team but WTFDIK?

I thought Richie was pulling the plug this year on Le Tour, and maybe on all of it after some early season races. Though perhaps I'm having a senior moment and flashing back to Cadel. It looks like they're having a little Tourito Down Under right now with a few World Tour personalities, but it's not a proper race. Covid and all.

Ineos has plenty of depth. A little light on Slovenians, though. And unfortunately now down a Colombian, too.
My injuries were pretty severe and I'm three times Bernal's age. I guess my 2 month guess was too conservative. I still would not count him out for the Vuelta.....in 2022. We don't know how much pain and if he can train hard yet
Old 03-15-22, 05:38 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
My injuries were pretty severe and I'm three times Bernal's age. I guess my 2 month guess was too conservative. I still would not count him out for the Vuelta.....in 2022. We don't know how much pain and if he can train hard yet
I'm glad there's something to gloat about.

I still stand by my point and think arm chair recovery prognostications are Jeanne Dixon material. But she got it right every now and then. May good news continue to flow as Bernal tries to get back on a bike.

Not to be the guy betting on the Don't Pass line and casting a pall on the fun craps table, but right now I'll offer anyone that wants it 2 to 1 odds betting that Bernal doesn't finish in the top 10 of La Vuelta. And hope I lose.

P.S. and I hope your recovery continued or continues so that you're riding without pain, GhostRider62 .
Likes For slcbob:
Old 03-15-22, 08:46 AM
GhostRider62

I'm glad there's something to gloat about.

I still stand by my point and think arm chair recovery prognostications are Jeanne Dixon material. But she got it right every now and then. May good news continue to flow as Bernal tries to get back on a bike.

Not to be the guy betting on the Don't Pass line and casting a pall on the fun craps table, but right now I'll offer anyone that wants it 2 to 1 odds betting that Bernal doesn't finish in the top 10 of La Vuelta. And hope I lose.

P.S. and I hope your recovery continued or continues so that you're riding without pain, GhostRider62 .
As the pollyanna here, we should all recognize that even us armchair athletes heal much quicker and better than our armchair ridden friends and family. Someone like Bernal would be off the charts in healing capacity compared to middle aged people who often eat poorly, drink alcohol, and maybe smoke things. Even many Docs don't understand this fact about athlete's healing capacity whether young or old.

A little doubtful of a top 10 but also recognize the peloton will be quite tired at the end of the season and Bernal would be fresh. If I was a betting man, I'd take the 2 to 1 odds, assuming he elects to enter. Let's hope
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 03-15-22, 08:58 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Concur on his freakish powers. Need to be factored in to any guesstimate, as should medical details. And luck/chance.

No "elects to enter" caveats on the bet! Straight up!!

We can PayPal money to GrainBrain for escrow. Too many temptations in SoCal for ooga-booga with that loot burning a hole in his jersey pocket. Nothing in Kansas Iowa to spend it on. Except maybe a ticket to San Diego. Wait a minute. Maybe there's a flaw in the plan.

Last edited by slcbob; 03-15-22 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Kansas, Iowa, whatever. ;)
Old 03-15-22, 12:06 PM
MinnMan

There are different variables at play, including age, but Chris Froome is instructive here. Another young athlete with superior physiology and conditioning. Probably his primacy in the peloton was already finished at the time he crashed, but since Froome came back he's been not much better than pack fodder.

On the other hand, we have Fabio Jakobsen. Let's hope Bernal's comeback is more like Fabio's than Chris's
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 03-15-22, 09:30 PM
GrainBrain

I almost don't want him to ride the Vuelta or any GT right away. Too many stupid crashes, gotta be 100% on top or you get hurt bad, thinking of Valverde last year - that was probably unavoidable. Landa and Mohoric in last year's giro. Ugh that stupid opi/omi sign lady.

We can PayPal money to GrainBrain for escrow. Too many temptations in SoCal for ooga-booga with that loot burning a hole in his jersey pocket. Nothing in Kansas Iowa to spend it on. Except maybe a ticket to San Diego. Wait a minute.
I thought I'd absolutely take the money and run, but you know I saw your geographical error and decided to go on my ride before replying - unheard of in our winner takes all world! that makes me pretty trustworthy right? Level headed and all? No worries about Madoff madness ... Plus it's spring and ultra pastoral - Beyond Beethoven
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 03-16-22, 07:02 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
I thought I'd absolutely take the money and run, but you know I saw your geographical error and decided to go on my ride before replying - unheard of in our winner takes all world! that makes me pretty trustworthy right? Level headed and all? No worries about Madoff madness ... Plus it's spring and ultra pastoral - Beyond Beethoven
That was very fair and balanced of you. And very Iowa to caucus on a ride before casting your vote. Send us your deets so we can start throwing money at you!