Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Teledyne Titan Saloon.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Teledyne Titan Saloon.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-19, 11:05 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 828 Times in 537 Posts
Wow!, didn't know that Follis actually imported the Teledyne Titan.
Old 02-17-19, 11:06 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Who knows, that uber rare Skarin track Titan could be in a secret bike collection in countries like Japan, where it is also rumored that a lot of stolen famous artwork are now secretly hidden away in collections (Yakuza?).....
The theft happened at a restaurant not too far from the Encino Velodrome. Roof bike rack, a number of riders went, usually parked the cars in view when seated for post race eats. Who knows.
Old 02-18-19, 02:45 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by dparks

000263 - Dura Ace 1st gen components. Titanium fork was replaced with steel. It now has an aluminum fork. Purchased off Craigslist in 2017 ... $50! I have only ridden it about 6 times. Many more rides planned in 2019 - I am retiring!
Wow! Nice score and build.

Perhaps tag RobbieTunes here and hopefully make the Coppi event Autumn 2019.
Old 02-18-19, 02:54 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Cool advertising from TT,..... but wondering about that last pic.....
Supposed to be stress analysis on the frame..... but where is the stress coming from??
Smoke and mirrors. Probably to divert the Russians whom supplied the tubing, thinking was exclusive to be used in bicycle production.
Old 02-18-19, 03:27 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Wow!, didn't know that Follis actually imported the Teledyne Titan.
I'm confused. Why would someone import something already made here?
Old 02-18-19, 03:42 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

!!

Originally Posted by crank_addict
Wow! Nice score and build.

Perhaps tag RobbieTunes here and hopefully make the Coppi event Autumn 2019.
If someone told me there would be any rideable Titans at Coppi, much less two, much less a possible three, I'd have laughed.
Old 02-18-19, 07:49 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Old 02-18-19, 11:38 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
Follis Titan 1975

Hi crank addict.
Thanks for posting all of this really great stuff. This add for Follis is my favorite out of the bunch.
: Mike
Old 02-19-19, 08:32 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Preview of coming attractions, 3ttt Record stem, 3ttt Superleggero Gimondi bars, Modolo Pro levers, cork bar end plugs.

Total weight 697 grams, I'm looking for the plastic body levers from the Modolo Flash so I can loose another 50 grams off the assembled weight.

Old 02-19-19, 09:11 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,372 Times in 1,578 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
Preview of coming attractions, 3ttt Record stem, 3ttt Superleggero Gimondi bars, Modolo Pro levers, cork bar end plugs.

Total weight 697 grams, I'm looking for the plastic body levers from the Modolo Flash so I can loose another 50 grams off the assembled weight.

Nice looking! For some reason, I really like the Record stem... I've got one in the parts box with the stickers/decals in fine shape.

That bar must be for going fast... hardly any flat section on top! Very close to being a track bar??

Steve in Peoria
Old 02-23-19, 01:27 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Great stuff but a bit of caution using any stem having conical lock with the Titan fork. Have seen a few -online- with bulge damage or split from overnighting.

For that reason alone, I decided to go with a very light unknown French (possibly Phillipe, CTA - Atax??) having a wedge lock. The only negative was a heavy cast steel wedge so I made a lightweight replacement. I put a thread insert into a piece of aluminum round stock and turned to diameter, angle cut to match the stem. Its also longer than other typical stem wedge to evenly distribute forces. Also using an aluminum draw bolt. I've yet to replace the bar pinch bolt, likely will be Ti.

I suppose to many this is all silliness but to me its tinkering fun. An hour here, an hour there...

Last edited by crank_addict; 02-23-19 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-23-19, 02:48 PM
Nemosengineer 

Great stuff but a bit of caution using any stem having conical lock with the Titan fork. Have seen a few -online- with bulge damage or split from overnighting.

For that reason alone, I decided to go with a very light unknown French (possibly Phillipe, CTA - Atax??) having a wedge lock. The only negative was a heavy cast steel wedge so I made a lightweight replacement. I put a thread insert into a piece of aluminum round stock and turned to diameter, angle cut to match the stem. Its also longer than other typical stem wedge to evenly distribute forces. Also using an aluminum draw bolt. I've yet to replace the bar pinch bolt, likely will be Ti.

I suppose to many this is all silliness but to me its tinkering fun. An hour here, an hour there...
Hi crank_addict
Agreed that steer tube is a problem, I"m thinking my solution is a thin wall, close fitting steel sleeve with a dab of Loctite on the exterior of steer tube in the expander zone to spread out the forces. Your idea is a good one I will take a look around the bay and see if I can find a nice French stem.
I look at this the same way, Its a pleasant way to spend a few hours and it's nice to be here among like minded people.
Old 02-23-19, 02:51 PM
crank_addict
Banned

I think to be at the max with the Alpine Special gearing. ;")

Super wide range Teledyne 'Alpine Special'

Old 02-23-19, 03:16 PM
crank_addict
Banned

The wall climber now has 175mm length cranks to lower the saddle height, CG and possibly increase leverage. (It will never see crit racing.. please now..) Decided not go with the Avocet pedals but rather some stealthy light quill type in the works.

On the punch list: custom stitch bar wrap, glue tubulars, pedals, trim skewers and custom Ti rack.

Non drive side teaser
Old 02-23-19, 03:40 PM
Nemosengineer 

Brakes...
Weinmann Carrera's, this brakeset showed up and fits like a champ, has a nice finish and is good looking, but... Amazing heavy for a brakeset sold as top end parts, so for reference here are the numbers. Reach 45 to 58 mm, and weight just under 400 grams for the set.

Without tire guides and cable adjusters, better but still heavy, steel fittings/bolts everywhere, 339 grams

No big loss, the next attempt at a brakeset is first generation Mafac LS coming from France in nice condition, whenever it shows up. The numbers look like this, reach 44 to 56 mm, weight around 340 grams with tire guides and steel bolts. Better and French . With a healthy dose of titanium bits and deletion of the tire guides these calipers should go under 300 grams for the set. More news as it happens.

Old 02-23-19, 03:43 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 828 Times in 537 Posts
Actually, the lightest stem I own is a Cinelli 1R, with an aluminum wedge, Ti shaft wedge bolt and Ti bar wedge bolt.
Much lighter than all the French stems I had owned so far.
I don't think the 1R came standard with a Ti shaft wedge bolt, but was surprised when the used 1R stem arrived and it had it. Should still be very light with the standard steel bolt too.

Last edited by Chombi1; 02-23-19 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-23-19, 04:03 PM
crank_addict
Banned

No big loss, the next attempt at a brakeset is first generation Mafac LS coming from France in nice condition, whenever it shows up. The numbers look like this, reach 44 to 56 mm, weight around 340 grams with tire guides and steel bolts. Better and French . With a healthy dose of titanium bits and deletion of the tire guides these calipers should go under 300 grams for the set. More news as it happens.

These are something I wouldn't mind trying on my Peugeot PSV to replace the stock Weinmann 605.
Nothing really bad about them but just want racey French.

The CLB Pro's are beauties but way beyond my budget.

Funny thinking about brakes for these Teledyne Titan's with stock forks. All one needs are speed reducers and nothing over powered. Flexy as the Modolo Pros are and with Kool Stop pads, its most scary looking down at the 'automatic variable wheelbase'...lol.
Old 02-23-19, 04:08 PM
Nemosengineer 

The wall climber now has 175mm length cranks to lower the saddle height, CG and possibly increase leverage. (It will never see crit racing.. please now..) Decided not go with the Avocet pedals but rather some stealthy light quill type in the works.

On the punch list: custom stitch bar wrap, glue tubulars, pedals, trim skewers and custom Ti rack.

Non drive side teaser
Your titan looks amazing!!! I like where your going with this, I really like the "Alpine Special" naming. This is a preview of the (secret weapon) pedals, MKS Custom Nuevo with titanium spindles, NJS straps, and Ale alloy clips (correct length screws are in the mail).

Old 02-23-19, 04:45 PM
Nemosengineer 

I think to be at the max with the Alpine Special gearing. ;")

Super wide range Teledyne 'Alpine Special'

Your gearing range is really impressive. Your low low and high high are very close to the gearing of my Bob Jackson, and and a really good selection of ratios. you have made some excellent choices. I like your choice in rims.

Old 02-23-19, 05:22 PM
crank_addict
Banned

^Thank you and I humbly admit though, jealous of yours and others builds here!

That bailout will rarely be used but the tall range will be fun in the pack. The Shimano barends are silky action -most pleased how it all works with these crude, non profiled cogs.

Easy to get caught up in the weight weenie thing but its NOT easy to do as yours, being period correct. I'm cheating.

My goal is finding that sweet spot of vintage yet take advantage of some later bits. Less focused on weight though a criteria of sub 18 lbs..

The scale shows it exactly at 18.2 completely built, less bar wrap but with a temporary set of test pedals. A rack will bump it but my planned pedal set expected at 220 gram total (clips + straps incl.). Other components are not the lightest though I've been trimming them with ally and Ti hardware. The bb is a killa Omni Racer. Ti bolts.

Drillium won't look right for this one, and now thinking of milling the two larger chainrings, (rid of the drilled).

Work in progress....
Old 02-23-19, 05:31 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Actually, the lightest stem I own is a Cinelli 1R, with an aluminum wedge, Ti shaft wedge bolt and Ti bar wedge bolt.
Much lighter than all the French stems I had owned so far.
I don't think the 1R came standard with a Ti shaft wedge bolt, but was surprised when the used 1R stem arrived and it had it. Should still be very light with the standard steel bolt too.
Some came standard with an aluminum quill bolt... ( silver anno ) lighter than Titanium...
The weight weenie special Super Record rear mechanism was the one year they came with aluminum, not titanium pivot bolts...
but I digress...
Old 02-23-19, 05:49 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Super stuff. Love the custom decals on the Alpine Special.
I'm envious that I'm done, and can't keep tinkering.
You guys sure are getting the hours worth of fun.

I just noticed one of my brake levers is bent.
Maybe I'll go Suntour.

Also got in an endless band Superbe Pro FD
Shifters to match, would go on the band already there.
This constant thought of change is, well, constant.
Old 02-23-19, 11:08 PM
crank_addict
Banned

1975 weight weenie dream build by Eugene Sloane

Old 02-24-19, 08:05 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Pretty cool. I feel better, as I beat his price, but not by much. I may get my cracked frame repaired and "go for it." ( No rules other than cheap and light.)
Old 02-24-19, 08:51 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,372 Times in 1,578 Posts

that's a fun article! Was this a magazine article? It almost has the look of a newspaper column.

Any idea what the "Composite Sports" frame was? It mentions that it was built of aluminum tubes wrapped with carbon fiber.
Poking around my archives, I notice that an article on the Graftek frame mentions a few other makers of carbon fiber (-ish) frames....
Composite Development, Composite Sports, and O.F. Mossberg

It also mentions that Raleigh had prototyped a similar frame in 1968, but never went to production.

The page from the article is below.

Steve in windy Peoria

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.