Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Kona sutra 2010 vs Trek 510 2022

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-08-22, 07:15 PM
gab11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I've ordered myself a 2022 trek 520, and it should be arriving any time now. The bike is priced at $1899

Since placing the order, I've come across a 2010 Kona sutra which has done less than 100kms. It presents as brand new.
It's in immaculate condition. The seller wants $1300.

My question is, should I op for the Kona and save $$$
It's older, but will do the job I need it to do, or should I just go with modern tech and enjoy treks lifetime frame warranty?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-09-22, 11:43 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
i don't think you would gain much from the Trek other than LBS support. The 520 price seems high for a Sora bike with outdated axle specs. However, if you aren't confident you can get the Kona to fit and work properly, LBS support is a major plus.
Old 01-09-22, 11:19 PM
Cdst

Bikes: 2008 Kona Coilair Deluxe, 2012 Kona Sutra, 2019 Pinarello Dogma F10, 2021 Ibis Ripley

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by gab11
Hi all,

I've ordered myself a 2022 trek 520, and it should be arriving any time now. The bike is priced at $1899

Since placing the order, I've come across a 2010 Kona sutra which has done less than 100kms. It presents as brand new.

It's older, but will do the job I need it to do, or should I just go with modern tech and enjoy treks lifetime frame warranty?

I assume you’re getting the fully equipped Sutra, fenders, racks and all. The two bikes are both 3x9 drivetrains and mechanical disc brake equipped. The trek has integrated shifters while the Kona has bar end shifters. The trek can fit 2” tires and comes with 38mms. the Kona’s rims can’t take wider than 32mm tires but if you swap wheels the frame can fit wider… at least that was the limit on my 2012 Sutra’s original wheel set.

are either of these a big deal to you? Kona spec’d the bar end shifters to simplify maintenance when you’re touring in the middle of nowhere. The narrower tires however, are falling out of favor. If you want wider tires then the cost of a new wheel set will eat up most or all of the $600 you save.
Old 01-10-22, 08:17 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
The Kona Sutra probably didn't cost that much new in 2010. I'd be hard pressed to want to pay more than 300 for it.

Though everything looks good on it and might be running well, you'll need to accept that it might be a money pit if stuff needs replacing after you put it to work for you. So if you feel you want it, then make an offer realizing that it's old, with old components.
Old 01-10-22, 11:02 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,691 Times in 972 Posts
By any measure, even in showroom condition, the Kona is overpriced. It sold brand new in 2010 for $1200, it shouldn't sell now for any more than half that price even given current scarcities.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 01-10-22, 11:04 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Which Trek 520? There are two offered for the same list price. One has a rear rack and lower grade shifters. I think. I have to look.

The Trek will come with a warranty and has newer components. Both have disc brakes which is good. It really come down to the shifters.
Old 01-10-22, 11:31 AM
Cdst

Bikes: 2008 Kona Coilair Deluxe, 2012 Kona Sutra, 2019 Pinarello Dogma F10, 2021 Ibis Ripley

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by gab11
Hi all,

Your profile shows your country as AU. Are the numbers you have given in AUD?
Old 01-10-22, 10:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Probably none of the above. The Kona maybe has a little better drivetrain components and is at least a steel fork instead of some silly aluminum thing but it is very expensive for such an old bike that wasn't a really high end bike. The Trek has a few advantages at least warranty wise and maybe some parts are slightly improved or at least a little more tire clearance but I don't know that either one would really be a top contender.

What are your plans for the bike? That might help someone find a bike suitable for you? Also if you do plan on touring or doing some heavy duty commuting, I would find something already set up with a dynamo, I cannot speak the praises of generating your own power and powering lights anytime you are moving. No more charging batteries (unless you go for a Plug V which has a small bank so you can effectively charge a modern smartphone via dynamo without causing issues) and you will always have light so long as you are moving and usually will have a stand light for a bit when you are not. I said "I don't want it, it will add weight blah blah blah" and ended up spending more and a lot of time to get it set up afterwards than if I had just done it the first time on my Co-Motion. Granted there are a few things I wish I had done from the get-go which I didn't but I wanted to save a small bit of money and it was my first custom (semi) frame and I really didn't have the knowledge I have now.
Old 01-11-22, 01:30 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,671 Posts
People buying bikes for touring tend to buy one bike and stick with it longer than people buying racing bikes. Given that fact, and that touring with heavy loads is hard on bikes, Trek's warranty alone would sway me in favor of the 520. The 520's greater tire clearance is a definite benefit as well.

As to Trek using an aluminum fork for the 520, they are following the lead of long-established European touring bike manufacturers in that regard. Quoting from this article:

"Aluminium is a dirty word in the bike travel world, but the thing is – broken aluminium forks that are designed for the purpose of touring are about as rare as hen’s teeth. Almost all European touring bikes employ aluminium forks on their builds, and it follows that if this material was inherently unreliable or dangerous, manufacturers would’ve switched back to steel over a decade ago."

Finally, in addition to the proven durability of aluminm forks (and the undeniable weight savings of 318 grams compared to the 520's previous steel fork), the increaed torsional rigidity means that the loaded bike will have much less of a tendency to "wallow" under you while climbing out of the saddle or descending at speed. That sounds like a small factor, but it'll loom large on extended trips with heavy loads.
Old 01-11-22, 03:48 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Cdst
Your profile shows your country as AU. Are the numbers you have given in AUD?
It would appear so.

https://www.trekbikes.com/au/en_AU/b...?colorCode=red
Old 01-15-22, 03:34 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 199 Posts
Actually, the Kona is BETTER spec'd then the Trek is! The Trek comes with crappy Sora/Alivio, the Kona comes with Deore which is a better touring derailleur system. Both the Kona and the Trek weigh darn near the same as well. If I had my choice of just those 2 bikes, I would get the Kona in a heartbeat over the Trek due to the amount of money I would save, which I then could spend on better camping gear, or make improvements on a bike to customize it for my needs better than factory stock.
Old 01-25-22, 12:52 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 311 Posts
As stated above, the used Sutra is priced too high, and the cost disparity might not be enough to justify going that route. If you could get the seller to around 1000 (AUD/$/?) on the Kona, then I would go that way.
Old 01-25-22, 08:05 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 199 Posts
By the way, I have a steel Masi Giramondo with a steel fork, the fork does NOT "wallow" under load. New forks on bikes these days are built for disk brakes, they have beefed up the fork to handle the disk. I use to have an old 85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, and that also had a steel fork, much skinnier steel fork then what they use today, it didn't "wallow" either with 60 pounds of load. They use to tour all over the world on those now vintage bikes with weights approaching 100 pounds and I've never heard of a touring person back then experiencing wallow. What did happen back then if they didn't use 40 spoke wheels was to get wheel flex but the 40 spoke option took care of that; they also had some problems with the rear stays swaying at high speed, but on my Schwinn I switched out the aluminum rear rack for a Tubus steel rack and never had any more issues with swaying, today's bikes use beefer rear stays which eliminated that issue, but my Masi came with steel racks anyways.

I don't think aluminum is much of a problem these days, Koga makes a world expedition bike for hauling very heavy loads and it's all aluminum; but I doubt the Trek AL fork is up to the same standards as the Koga, in fact just looking at the two forks you can tell the Koga is better, but that doesn't mean the Trek is a bad fork however Trek knows it cannot handle a load well so there is only two eyelets (one on each side) for carrying a smaller rack intended for lighter loads on the front, whereas the Koga is design with 6 eyelets (3 on each side) for carrying larger front rack and full size panniers, just as the Kona and my Masi is equipped as well. Both the Kona and the Masi

More reasons why the Kona is better than the Trek, that steel fork on the Kona will never remotely wallow, just as mine hasn't.