Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Old 04-23-20, 06:58 PM
the_pan_handle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robmac123
The Backer prices are still on the Kickstarter website. I tried to post the link but this forum won’t let me. Just google Helix Kickstarter bike and you’ll find it.
So twice the price then. Ouch
Old 05-13-20, 04:13 PM
RatonLaveur

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So apparently the last order session was completed. Do we know how many bikes were shipped yet?

I can't find reviews besides one from mid 2019 here and a couple of videos by the same person. Is the bike getting reviews?

Do we expect accessories to come in now?
how about the effect of grime in the helical hinge? Problem? Mitigations?

It's quite puzzling, i was expecting that as soon as production would be set the bike would be unleashed in the world. But the helix website is essentially the same as before.
Old 05-13-20, 05:16 PM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
The update was reportedly going to be posted sometime today. I’m just as puzzled as you are as I simply would like Helix to keep the lines of communication open. We shouldn’t have to continue sending email messages reminding them to post updates. A recent image in the activity stream shows a lineup of around 20 or so bikes waiting to be shipped out. I have no idea if any of them are part of the limited production numbers that always appear to sell out at full retail price.
Old 05-13-20, 06:31 PM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I think Peter would do better if he was not bothered with distractions ( questions ). Want your bike sooner? Leave him alone.

He doesn't owe anyone anything. He has proven himself to be an upstanding person with excellent vision.

I didn't expect a bike. I told him he didn't owe anyone anything and I would support him regardless of the Kickstarter bikes.

Please give thanks in these difficult times.

Thanks
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 05-13-20, 07:26 PM
pbutcher2000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Helix Customer Interaction

Originally Posted by downtube
I think Peter would do better if he was not bothered with distractions ( questions ). Want your bike sooner? Leave him alone.

He doesn't owe anyone anything. He has proven himself to be an upstanding person with excellent vision.

I didn't expect a bike. I told him he didn't owe anyone anything and I would support him regardless of the Kickstarter bikes.

Thanks
Yan
Yan, I am sorry but I disagree with you. Peter does owe his backers something, he owes them a bike.

There is no doubt that he has created something quite special and no doubt that he is committed to creating the best product that he is capable of. However, lots of people pledged their hard earned cash to support his initiative. 2 years later, getting an update every 6 weeks is massively unacceptable. It takes 10 minutes to post an update. I would rather an update a week, with real facts rather than a post every 6 weeks. This total disregard for customers would be a death knell for any business. You cannot view customer interaction as bothering or effecting productivity. No customers, no product.
Like I said, Peter is creating something very special, but having a business that does not interact with customers will never be successful long term.

Hire a part timer, reach out to customers, tell them what is happening, encourage their support, beg for their patience ... Create a brand of customer loyalty ... Don't ignore them .. My bike will be delivered in May according to the portal. Not a chance, March 2021 is way more likely, which I am OK with ... Just interact !!! No excuse, under any circumstances not to ..

Lecture over ...
Likes For pbutcher2000:
Old 05-13-20, 08:33 PM
Batstar

Thanks
Yan
My correspondence with Peter and the team have always been professional and well-mannered in tone and their response has encouraged me to stay in touch which I have been doing so on an occasional basis. I don't consider that too much of a distraction. I do realize how busy they are in these trying times but I also feel that it's not asking too much too much to engage their customer base with updates from time to time. Wasn't that the intent of the portal? The delivery date for my bikes was also scheduled for May but I too will faithfully wait for that day to be revised.
Old 05-13-20, 08:54 PM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
You paid $1300ish 3-4 years ago. I don't believe backers paid him enough to create a factory and hire his own employees. He claimed that he invested $1 million of his own funds into this project. Therefore I would not be so demanding.

Additionally Kickstarter rules are clear. He owes backers nothing.

I worked at a startup where early VC investors were worried about the company folding. So they constantly called and emailed everyone until it folded. Kinda ironic.....I would keep quiet and show some appreciation.

Thanks
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 05-13-20, 09:45 PM
Batstar

Duly noted. FWIW, I am not a backer but retained my bikes through the pre-order process.
Old 05-14-20, 09:29 AM
RatonLaveur

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was merely expressing surprise at the general silence. Every single bike he delivers is a victory. The bike has seen major overhauls since the successful kickstarter campaign, but only a few member are privy to all the good efforts and cool/tough/technical decisions. I understand that at the moment he is selling out his survival offerings interspersed with backer fullfilments. Perhaps engaging too hard in social media/marketing might bite him back... perhaps...i just feel like there could be more noise from their side. They have a product. They intend to sell don't they?
Old 05-14-20, 01:40 PM
ImplodingVoice

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone attempted fitting 20" wheels onto a Helix bike?
Yes, it was designed to utilize a 24" wheel; is 20" possible?
Old 05-14-20, 03:18 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Its a disc brake bike, so it is possible to put smaller wheels.

But moving to 20" ETRTO 406 instead of 24" ETRTO 507 would lower the bike of about 50mm when using the same width of tires (using wider tires 50 or 55mm in ETRTO 406 is probably not possible), bottom bracket and pedals 50mm lower is a lot lower.

There is also the possibility to move to 20" ETRTO 451 but as far as I know there are only narrow tires like 28mm in ETRTO 451 so it will lower the bike of about 35mm. There are few tires available in ETRTO 451 which is a major drawback.
Old 05-15-20, 09:41 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
You paid $1300ish 3-4 years ago. I don't believe backers paid him enough to create a factory and hire his own employees. He claimed that he invested $1 million of his own funds into this project. Therefore I would not be so demanding.

Additionally Kickstarter rules are clear. He owes backers nothing.

I worked at a startup where early VC investors were worried about the company folding. So they constantly called and emailed everyone until it folded. Kinda ironic.....I would keep quiet and show some appreciation.

Thanks
Yan
So with your anecdote you are implying that the company you worked for went broke because the VC investors phoned a lot? Seriously? You do know the difference between correlation and causality right? Of course you do, you have a PhD in math. So here I just shake my head.

While it is true that Helix doesn't owe a bike to the original investors, they do have the right to question what is going on in the company as they are investors. They put capital into a company and at the bare minimum he owes them communication. If they are lucky they get a bike at the end of this. You say "show some appreciation" and I say, it goes both ways. Peter should show some appreciation by keeping his backers fully aware of what is happening in the company. They should not have to beg for information.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 05-15-20, 10:35 AM
termv

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My 2 cents

I have to fully agree word for word what the previous respondent wrote.

In addition, if one does not communicate, the more likely a Kickstarter project will not be fully funded next time such event takes place.

People at least occasionally do remember past events!
Old 05-16-20, 08:07 PM
MrFlamey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The update was finally posted, but precisely because it was so long in coming, it was a little disappointing. If the exact same update had been broken into two or three smaller updates it would probably have been better, and I really don't understand why writing a couple of paragraphs about the current state of things one a week or even every two weeks is proving so difficult. There was some more talk about accessories and an electric version, as well as news about the ultralight components, which I am definitely NOT getting.

Another thing mentioned in the update is that we'll be getting updated delivery estimates soon, which I am predicting be once again extremely optimistic given the number of bikes that need to be made and delivered. If the estimate is again unrealistic, and comes after waiting a whole month with nothing, then I might consider cancelling my order and just getting a different bike, since I know from my order number that at the current rate of production I'll be waiting another year before I get my pre-ordered bike. It would be sad to give up on something I got so excited about, but I don't know how much more waiting I can take if I'm being constantly teased with more optimistic dates.

On the other hand, I might just buy a gravel bike and keep waiting on the helix. Let's see what the next update holds.
Likes For MrFlamey:
Old 05-17-20, 06:22 AM
AvnerBen

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFlamey
...On the other hand, I might just buy a gravel bike and keep waiting on the helix. Let's see what the next update holds.
That's just what I did... Just found a used high quality gravel bike at a ridiculous price. Considering there is no overseas bike trip this summer, I can now wait the year or so left for my helix patiently.

According to the update, the production rate is now 70 bikes per month, aiming at 90, with 400 delivered so far. The expected boost due to improved processing has turned out to be too optimistic, requiring additional investment. With my bikes in the 1200's, a year seems realistic indeed.

Most of the accessories have been designed and they are described in detail in an appendix in the portal. This includes mud guards, racks and (thru axis) trolly attachment. Carrying bag was mentioned in the update but does not appear in the appendix. The rear rack is seat-post mounted (rated 20kg), with optional stays (double that). Electric assist (back wheel drive) is also under design.
Old 05-17-20, 06:40 AM
Jipe

Besides the mandatory mudguards, the most interesting accessory is the front bag as on the Brompton and its not there.

A seat post rear rack on a folder is annoying, it must be dismounted each time the bike is folded.

A fixed rear rack as on the Brompton or a folding one as on the Birdy are better but not as easy to use as a front bag.
Old 05-17-20, 07:03 PM
MrFlamey

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AvnerBen
Most of the accessories have been designed and they are described in detail in an appendix in the portal.
Do you mean in the upgrade guide in the support section? I don't see much info on the portal other than support and the update blog thing, but I am a preorder customer, and don't get full access to the portal, which considering the waiting time is so insane is a bit lame. I had access to the forum at the beginning, but it was later removed for some reason, which was a bit sad considering that this thread and that forum are the only place I know of to chat about this bike :/

I'm looking forward to hearing more about the backpack, since that's one of the more interesting ways to carry the Helix. Although, since I always have a backpack when bikepacking, it could be inconvenient if it isn't made of soft material that can be folded and attached to something when not in use. I have a soft carry case for my Tern Verge x10, which works great for taking it on the train, but is crap for carrying the bike and doesn't protect it at all. If Peter can make a carry case that protects the bike to a reasonable degree, makes it easy to carry (both as a backpack and hand luggage type case) AND folds down or rolls up when not in use that will be amazing.

Yeah, I'll probably just keep waiting and look for a gravel bike. One of my colleagues keeps telling me about his, and I'm somewhat sick of my Verge, especially with Covid19 limiting the places I can take it.
Old 05-18-20, 02:04 AM
AvnerBen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFlamey
Do you mean in the upgrade guide in the support section? I don't see much info on the portal other than support and the update blog thing, but I am a preorder customer, and don't get full access to the portal, which considering the waiting time is so insane is a bit lame.
Yes, it is in the "upgrade guide". I am also on pre-order and I can see it.

If Peter can make a carry case that protects the bike to a reasonable degree, makes it easy to carry (both as a backpack and hand luggage type case) AND folds down or rolls up when not in use that will be amazing.
I sign on that. In fact, this is one of the toughest challenges for my Brompton tours. The best bags I had so far were the Vincita two wheels model, but it turned out to be fragile (had to throw them after two trips) and still took some valuable space on the rack. The Vincita newer model looks promising though, featuring four wheels and it clamps to the front luggage block!. That's a great idea, provided it can still take ten kilos of luggage in this position (otherwise, I must take everything on the rack, which is not a good idea). For all I know, this bag does not serve also as backpack, but perhaps that may be done...

...Yeah, I'll probably just keep waiting and look for a gravel bike..
Look for posts on the local gravel bike Facebook page. Apparently, (at least here, so it seems) some people buy a gravel bike for the wrong reason, and later are ready to get rid of it for a fraction of the price.
Old 05-18-20, 10:57 AM
@johnoliva1

Bikes: '94 Litespeed Ultimate, Litespeed SS, 72 Raleigh Super Course, 73 Raleigh Super Course SS, 81 Panasonic DX2000 chrome, 74 Panasonic Sport modded, 86' Mongoose ATB Chrome modded, 97 Specialized Stumpjumper modded

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Hey Helix, im interested if you're reading, once you have some US dealers and I can try one. Thx! - John
Old 05-18-20, 02:27 PM
AvnerBen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by @johnoliva1
Hey Helix, im interested if you're reading, once you have some US dealers and I can try one. Thx! - John
So far you can only buy straight from helix. Next offering due June 2nd.
Old 05-27-20, 01:54 PM
theerandyman

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Easy To Get One...

Originally Posted by AvnerBen
So far you can only buy straight from helix. Next offering due June 2nd.
I see at least 4 for sale, mostly 11-speed's, listed as new, on Craigslist (SF Bay) and e-Bay. All below current list price. A new 10-speed sold on eBay awhile back for $2,800. I don't mean to be snarky but it's easier to obtain an actual bike than it is to fine a comprehensive review.
Old 05-27-20, 03:47 PM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
The craigslist seller is definitely marking it up to the current list price. Good luck to the seller. If the price wasn't so high, I would consider driving over the bridge to check it out.
Old 05-27-20, 04:13 PM
theerandyman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Toplicht
There was an unopened 10-speed in swedish “Craigslist” for 2600USD.
For a long while. Just when I bought mine at the top price. Argh.
I believe that the owners who are selling them now have every right to profit from their early commitments. My point was that one of these bikes can be obtained right away at a non-inflated (relative to current list) price. Some sellers are reluctant to ship them (a little ironic considering that portability is clearly a selling point) but I trust this could be worked out via a bike shipping service. I just wish there were some honest, expert, reviews...
Old 05-27-20, 05:08 PM
theerandyman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Beautiful Review

"It’s a masterpiece, a gem that comes from an introvert company with higher engineering skills than social abilities."
I run It everyday for five months and being quite rough with it. So far everything holds.
Installed Son lights and Velogic dynamo USB charger. New brakes.
50mm rise bar. ETC. New drive train is comming next. The stuff that’s on it is basic. My experience is that those things holds for a year or two if you use the bike daily.

Excellent, economic, choice of words. Sounds like my kind company... Thank you.
Old 05-28-20, 03:34 AM
Jipe

Originally Posted by theerandyman
"It’s a masterpiece, a gem that comes from an introvert company with higher engineering skills than social abilities."
This statement is really a joke !

The kickstarter launch was a pure social communication and marketing exercise from a guy with very little technical knowledge.

The huge delay before that the bike building phase really started was due to this lack of technical knowledge with the search for a viable technical solution and the trial of several unfeasible technical solutions (remember the idea of gluing the frame tubes instead of welding).
Likes For Jipe:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.