Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Views on bike insurance

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Views on bike insurance

Old 04-28-22, 03:53 AM
Oyster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Views on bike insurance

Hi Bike Forum community,

Long time and avid cyclist here. I had a new bike stolen from me a couple of years ago and unfortunately, I didn’t have renters insurance at the time, which meant I had to fork out nearly $2k for a new bike. Lesson learned, I thought. Two years later, my new bike was also stolen. Fortunately, this time I did have renters insurance! So I made a claim for theft and after having to provide what felt like an unnecessary amount of information via physical mail, I was informed that (a) the maximum payout for a single item under my policy was $1,500 and (b) my deductible was $1,000. This meant a total payout of $500 for a $2,000 bike… so much for insurance.

A quick survey of close friends in the biking community made it clear to me that this was a very common occurrence. Way too many people just didn’t have the right protection, especially when bike theft is so common. I thought there must be a better option and began to explore specialty insurance, but found the options super limited, with websites, technologies, and processes that felt very outdated. This journey led me and my fellow co-founders to think there must be a better way to cover people’s most important belongings. So we launched Oyster Our mission is to democratize insurance by making insurance for valuable items (such as bikes) more accessible and affordable.

What are people's thoughts on bike insurance? Do you have specialty bike insurance? Do you cover it on your homeowners or renters? Do you self-insure? We want to build the best insurance company we can and would love to hear any thoughts or feedback you have regarding your experiences with existing bike insurance, any pain points you have experienced, as well as any features you would love to see.
Old 04-28-22, 09:19 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I don't have a bike worth more than 2500 so there is nothing specific for coverage that is probably worth the cost. You can do homeowners/renters but you already know how that works.

So no, nothing specific for bikes. But if I had a bike worth say 10K, then i would have it covered.
My suggestion would be visit with your insurance provider and adjust your policy and find a better place to store your bike too
Old 04-28-22, 09:24 AM
Oyster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi sdmc530 - thanks for the reply!

Out of curiosity, would you pay c.5% of the value of the bike on an annual basis? I.e. for your $2,500 bike, would you pay $125 a year to have it properly protected or would it need to be cheaper? Is it a question of price for you or just that you don't see the value of insuring something that costs only a couple of thousand dollars?
Old 04-28-22, 10:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
If you can't easily afford to replace your bike for any reason. Then you really need to go talk to an insurance agent and find out what is available.

However I personally wouldn't just get insurance for the bike only. It likely cost too much. So find out if there are other policies like renters insurance or home owners insurance that cover many things and give you more bang for your buck. At least with them you stand a better chance of it covering some eventual loss for you instead of the more unlikely event that you have another bike stolen.

At least for me, bike theft is very unlikely since I don't have to leave my bike anywhere unattended. Might also just consider getting bikes you can afford to replace. Usually as you get older you make more money. So that scale of what you can afford to replace slides up to high end bikes. So don't despair, you can have a enviable bike one day! <grin>

While you are at it, you should talk to the insurance agent about liability insurance. Yes, if you cause an accident and someone is injured or you damage property, then you are liable for paying their costs. That can also come bundled with other policies or you might consider an umbrella policy which can be or were inexpensive at one time.

If you have automobile insurance, some companies do include some protection for you on a bicycle and liability.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-28-22 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-28-22, 10:37 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 774 Posts
Bicycle insurance to protect all cyclists | Velosurance
Old 04-28-22, 10:53 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Going thought this in my mind as well. Last month my wife and I were headed to the local trail head with our two $3k carbon bikes mounted on our Kuat rack. Stopped at a ped crossing with flashing lights. The guy behind us stopped as well. But, the driver of on SUV behind him didn't the message and ran into the back of the car in front of him pushing that car into our car and destroying the two bikes, rack and damage to the car. The damage to the car is of course covered my car Insurance but the bikes and rack are not. The guy that was at fault has the state mininum Insurance for Florida ($10K) doesn't cover the total damages so my bikes are a lost cause. I looked into buying bike Insurance but the cost was around $500/year and would only cover one set of bikes (they use the serial numbers). So to cover all my bikes would be in the range of $1500/year. Have been driving all over the country carrying bikes for the past 50 years and this is the first loss. So our Solution is to self insurance. Good luck.
Likes For DowneasTTer:
Old 04-28-22, 12:08 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Yeah, probably because I am finically able to just replace the bike if I had too. I mean insurance for XXX dollars for a number of years will probably cost more than the depreciation of the current bike value. But yeah, I don't see the value in insurance for 2500 bike. Its just a reason to get a new one I don't insure my other sporting goods either. My hunting bow set up is 2K, if that goes bad, stolen, lost, damaged, whatever I will just replace. Even if I can claim on homeowners for the %3 deductible and a hit on the policy for a claim in the end its just not worth it short of a major dollar amount.

but if I hade a say a high dollar super bike, I probably would then insure it some how.

but that is just me
Old 05-09-22, 01:15 PM
Oyster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really interesting, thanks for all the insights! At Oyster we have partnered with leading bike retailers to make sure consumers have the choice to buy insurance when buying the bike. We definitely feel that having bike insurance separate from homeowners is the best solution for most people, but love to hear people's experiences and thoughts.

If covering on a homeowner/renter policy, I would definitely make sure you check: (a) what the deductible is; (b) what the maximum limit is: and (c) what coverages are included (theft away from home and crash damage are often not covered). We've sadly got many consumers who bought a policy with Oyster after having suffered from one of the above.
Old 05-09-22, 01:35 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
I wouldn't pay anything more than $1.50 a month for a full replacement (price of actual price + accessories at current comp new pricing) on anything of major brand under $7,500. Just my $00.02.
Old 05-11-22, 08:49 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
You really need to talk with an agent. Every state is different, ins companies are different. I have home owners insurance and replacement value. My agency was shocked when I told him the value of my wife’s and my bikes but he said we are covered.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 05-15-22, 11:58 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3854 Post(s)
Liked 6,448 Times in 3,188 Posts
Wish I could find insurance for $5k in bike value for $50/yr.
Old 07-18-22, 09:33 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
About 10 years ago, I had a bike stolen out of the back of the garage, when my wife had the door open while tending flowers. My homeowners ins paid for the bike in full, and covered the price of the tools I had in my trunk pack.
Old 07-19-22, 12:45 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
I bought a nice old bike for $75, put over $800 into it, and it's probably still not objectively worth more than a couple hundred. Should I get insurance?
Likes For Korina:
Old 07-20-22, 12:17 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Isn't it clear by now that the answer is not insurance? Only one post even mentioned bike security, and only in passing! To lose two bikes in one lifetime of the value of those in the o.p. ... ... I can't blame the insurance provider. Prevention is always better than cure. Take this to heart. Do not let any bike >$1000 out of your sight. Do not crash, even if you are wearing a MIPS helmet. Do not ride on streets with >45mph speed limits even if you have all the flashers and high decibel horns that can fit on your handlebars. PREVENT disaster, do not plan for it. Do not let it happen! It was worth it to me to upgrade our garage door opener to one that is WiFi enabled. I can monitor its status on my phone anywhere in the world. It will alert me if it opens for any reason, even if its my wife who did it. It will close itself automatically if it is left open longer than 15 minutes. Fatalism is not a good look.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 07-21-22, 12:53 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
The theft issue is just an extension of poor bike infrastructure in general.
Contrast this to the Dutch who are usually quite comfortable with the simple wheel lock.

The insurance companies avoid this by rating it at prices which are generally unattractive or unaffordable
but this is also reflection of the fact that they need a better participation in order to standardize it into something that they can rate.

Also consider the liability issue that electric bikes present because they are generally categorically not included in either automobile or homeowners/ renters policies.
This is an issue both in the liability and theft domains of the problem.

How is this different from Dodge City where you had to ride your horse with a weapon to avoid it from being taken?
Old 07-22-22, 06:43 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebikebike
The theft issue is just an extension of poor bike infrastructure in general.
Contrast this to the Dutch who are usually quite comfortable with the simple wheel lock.
The Dutch also seemed to be "comfortable" with (or at least used to) a very high rate of bicycle theft.
The attached PDF is from 2000.
Extract:
Bicycle Theft, The Dutch Experience
One of the greatest sources of worry and aggravation are the enormous amount of bicycle thefts that take place every year.
The widespread scale on which bicycles are stolen, and the manner in which they are openly sold on for relatively small amounts of money, point to the fact that this phenomenon appears to have become an accepted part of society.

The following quote below from a university magazine provides quite an apt example.

“I automatically assume that my bike will get stolen after a few months", says Rosanne B. resignedly. She is about to start her Psychology studies this year. She got her bike from a teacher in secondary school. Friends of hers that have been living in Utrecht for a while now, have already warned her that owning a bike in Utrecht is only a temporary pleasure, and when you lose it, you can always steal one back or buy an old heap from a junkie for “next to nothing.”

‘Everyone’ knows that he or she is buying a stolen bike ('fencing'), and yet they carry on doing it. There is little or no priority at all in tackling this problem as far as the police are concerned, and the members of the public hardly ever report bicycle thefts. It is precisely because of this moral slide that politicians want to get a firm grip on the situation, and deal with the problems thoroughly and effectively. Besides the theft of bicycles, there are also related matters that demand attention, such as reckless riding, poor illumination, and the general mechanical state of the bicycles themselves. The point can also be made that bicycle theft can lead to committing crimes of a more serious nature.

Here are some facts and figures:
total number of bicycles: 16,000,000 (1 per inhabitant!)
annual sales figures of new bicycles: 1,300,000
number stolen annually: min. 700,000 (of which 150,000 are reported to police)
average price of bicycle: 450 Euro
number of insured bicycles: 1,600,000 (estimate)
insurance company losses: min. 25 million Euro ( estimate)
total (material) damage: >> 50 million Euro ( estimate).
Google search indicates thefts of unassisted bicycles has been reduced but is still quite high; the theft trend appears to be shifting to stealing e-bikes https://ebiketips.road.cc/content/ne...therlands-3603
https://www.dutchamsterdam.nl/857-st...s-in-amsterdam
Attached Files

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 07-22-22 at 06:50 AM.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 07-22-22, 07:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The Dutch also seemed to be "comfortable" with (or at least used to) a very high rate of bicycle theft.
That's the first thing that popped into my mind when I read his comment. Bicycle theft in the Netherlands is quite prevalent.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-24-22, 03:33 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Great data and references. Many good links inside
Since security is a big part of encouraging implementation, action on this is a critical part of infrastructure.
QUOTE: DutchNews.nl:
Some Dutch people call bike theft a national sport.
Some 22,593 people reported their electric bikes stolen last year, a rise of 25% on 2020 and 75% on 2019, bike theft monitor SAFE has said, based on police figures.Reports of non-electric bike theft were down by 45% to 26,365
the researchers found. SAFE estimates the real number of stolen bikes to be at least eight to nine times higher, saying that many people may consider reporting their ordinary bike has been stolen to be a waste of time.
Most of the stolen bikes were parked in the street but in 1,900 cases thieves resorted to burglary or even took the bikes from people by force.

European Bike Stealing Championships 2015 video tested the speed of the local crooks in Amsterdam, Rome and Prague.
Bait bike was stolen in Amsterdam in 22 minutes, but there are more interesting data and curiosities about bike thefts in Europe infographics.

Stichting Aanpak Voertuigcriminaliteit The Vehicle Crime Approach Foundation (AVc) is a partnership of various public and private organizations
with the aim of combating crime in the transport sector as effectively as possible. is the source of that great paper

I was wondering if there is database of bike insurance companies, issues from their perspective, police data and academic work from the industry and urban planners?
I am putting one together , but it is vestigial at this point.

something like : https://www.velomondial.net/velomondi...EED/TINDEX.HTM

Last edited by bikebikebike; 07-24-22 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-30-22, 09:13 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Isn't it clear by now that the answer is not insurance? .........PREVENT disaster, do not plan for it. Do not let it happen! It was worth it to me to upgrade our garage door opener to one that is WiFi enabled. I can monitor its status on my phone anywhere in the world. It will alert me if it opens for any reason, even if its my wife who did it. It will close itself automatically if it is left open longer than 15 minutes. Fatalism is not a good look.
So what's your plan exactly? Run home when you get a garage door notification and confront the thief in the act?

Sometimes, stuff happens that you have no control over, no matter how many preventative measures you have in place. That's what insurance is for, to cover the costs of making it right when the unexpected happens.
Now, how likely a thing is to happen, and how much is covered, and how much it'll cost to provide that coverage is going to depend on you, your insurance provider, and your checking account. (What's the value of the item, how much do you want covered, and how much are you willing to pay for that coverage)
Old 07-30-22, 09:25 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
I bought a nice old bike for $75, put over $800 into it, and it's probably still not objectively worth more than a couple hundred. Should I get insurance?
That got me thinking; all of my bikes are like that. Nice, older bikes; some of which would cost far more to replace than I put into them, and some I've probably put far more money into than they're worth.
It'd probably be worth a phone call to my ins agent, just to know where my policy stands
Old 07-30-22, 09:31 PM
Esos1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Oyster
Hi Bike Forum community,

Long time and avid cyclist here. I had a new bike stolen from me a couple of years ago and unfortunately, I didn’t have renters insurance at the time, which meant I had to fork out nearly $2k for a new bike. Lesson learned, I thought. Two years later, my new bike was also stolen. Fortunately, this time I did have renters insurance! So I made a claim for theft and after having to provide what felt like an unnecessary amount of information via physical mail, I was informed that (a) the maximum payout for a single item under my policy was $1,500 and (b) my deductible was $1,000. This meant a total payout of $500 for a $2,000 bike… so much for insurance.

A quick survey of close friends in the biking community made it clear to me that this was a very common occurrence. Way too many people just didn’t have the right protection, especially when bike theft is so common. I thought there must be a better option and began to explore specialty insurance, but found the options super limited, with websites, technologies, and processes that felt very outdated. This journey led me and my fellow co-founders to think there must be a better way to cover people’s most important belongings. So we launched Oyster Our mission is to democratize insurance by making insurance for valuable items (such as bikes) more accessible and affordable.

What are people's thoughts on bike insurance? Do you have specialty bike insurance? Do you cover it on your homeowners or renters? Do you self-insure? We want to build the best insurance company we can and would love to hear any thoughts or feedback you have regarding your experiences with existing bike insurance, any pain points you have experienced, as well as any features you would love to see.
Is this a pyramid scheme? No offense but this sounds like a pyramid scheme 😅
Old 07-31-22, 04:26 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
That got me thinking; all of my bikes are like that. Nice, older bikes; some of which would cost far more to replace than I put into them, and some I've probably put far more money into than they're worth.
It'd probably be worth a phone call to my ins agent, just to know where my policy stands
Good luck; I hope you kept your receipts.
Old 08-01-22, 10:59 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
Oyster are you still looking at forming this insurance product? Long time, no post. Genuinely curious as to what you've learned.