Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Schrader stem to Presta pump adapter

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-22, 10:00 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts

I have a few Presta only pumps and occasionally need to pump up a Schrader valve.
Been searching for adapter but only able to find ones going the other way.
Any tips out there?
I fabbed one from a Presta extender and Schrader to Dunlop adapter, but it is leaky, hard to use and most inelegant
Old 10-29-22, 10:17 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Actually they do make a Presta pump head to Schrader valve adapter and one was included with a Performance house-brand mini-pump I bought years ago. I've never used it but presume it works and I keep it as an emergency tool to help someone else.

A Google search turned up this one: https://www.cantitoeroad.com/Schrade...valve-adapters
Likes For HillRider:
Old 10-29-22, 10:32 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
I carry a set in my flat fix kit. Actually used it twice. Here is another source...

Old 10-29-22, 10:46 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Actually they do make a Presta pump head to Schrader valve adapter and one was included with a Performance house-brand mini-pump I bought years ago. I've never used it but presume it works and I keep it as an emergency tool to help someone else.

A Google search turned up this one: https://www.cantitoeroad.com/Schrade...valve-adapters
+1 I've ordered those twice from them (to have them on every bike and to hand out perhaps). Not Alibaba prices. Very nice, Italian made. $9 each. Cantitoe Road ships promptly.

BITD (in fact, way back, when that Sheldon Brown character was just an eccentric who could probably strip a Sturmey- Archer blindfolded and used to come and hang with our shop mechanic, he and the mechanic had "damsel in distress" adopters they made from available parts in any bike shop. The rest of us made ourselves the same. (In the permanent hope we would find an attractive young lady with a flat.) That fall I had my head injury. The "distress" adopter ran away, memory of it and how to make it was lost and I went without for 40 years. Searched last spring and there it was!

Good that there is a cheap Asian variety so all can have them but I'll pay real money for Italian and a good US company selling it. (And it takes me a forget-ably short time to spend that amount of bucks on espresso.) (Edit: is AliEspress Alibaba? I may have that al wrong.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 10-30-22, 07:44 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider

Exactly what I was looking for. Google was just getting me drowned in the Presta-to-Schrader ones.
Pricey, but I would have paid twice that for one, the other day.
The Alibab one, was too short for my threadon Presta pump head, and needed the extender and teflon tape to seal well.
Thanks , guys

Last edited by bikebikebike; 10-30-22 at 07:53 AM.