Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hardware ID and replacement

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-22, 01:11 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts

I scrounged up some crusty Miche Primato pedals from my local Co-Op. A little polishing and new grease and balls make these nice, but I'm wondering if you mind folks can help me identify some hardware Miche chose for the bolts on what I'll call the 'toe clip fine adjustment plate'.

These pedals are using a M5 button head bolt with an unusual conical slotted circular nut. I've found a single image online from Vertex Industrial products in the UK, and that's it. What are these nuts called, and where can i find them?

Pedal model in question, regular old slotted bolt doing replacement duty.

PO used a regular nut for the regular bolt.

Bottom of pedal uses a countersunk hole for the nut

nut is slotted, round, and matches the countersunk recess in the pedal.

A better illustration of the nut. Matches ~ 10mm diameter of the M5 Bolt.
Old 11-04-22, 03:10 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5775 Post(s)
Liked 2,573 Times in 1,424 Posts
They're conical nuts, and are typically used where precise centering is desired, ie. auto lug nuts. They are not exactly rare, but not the most common either, so selection will be limited. Also, they might be specific to these pedals, in which an exact match is unlikely except from the maker (if they're still around).

Worst case is that you have to make or modify them on your own. This isn't all that hard if you have a power drill and bench grinder (or a real machine shop).

Start with a nut of the right thread and overall thickness. Chuck a threaded rod (screw with head cut off) into your power drill, screw on the nut, and run at low rpm while holding it at the right angle against the face of the grinding wheel. I suggest using some extra nuts behind the one being ground to improve clearance and avoid grinding the drill chuck.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 11-04-22 at 03:19 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 11-05-22, 07:42 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

FBinNY I think if it comes down to 'making' one, I'd start with a slotted circular nut if I could find one locally, or just buy a nut to fit a new set of 8mm long black oxide M5 button head bolts. There are these, from the UK, but they're not a match.
Old 11-05-22, 07:44 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

These are such an odd design choice.
Old 11-05-22, 08:40 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,856 Times in 2,305 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
These are such an odd design choice.
That was likely championed as a great aspect of these pedals when they were offered Andy
Old 11-05-22, 09:06 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5775 Post(s)
Liked 2,573 Times in 1,424 Posts
FBinNY I think if it comes down to 'making' one, I'd start with a slotted circular nut if I could find one locally,.....
IF

Often the key to a successful project is to use what you find, and improvise your way to what you need.

Workable in your hand, beats better in the bush.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-06-22, 08:04 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2745 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
FBinNY I think if it comes down to 'making' one, I'd start with a slotted circular nut if I could find one locally, or just buy a nut to fit a new set of 8mm long black oxide M5 button head bolts. There are these, from the UK, but they're not a match.
You might be able to find a spherical washer "close enough" to make minor modifications or bore out your old nut, use it as a washer, longer screw, and regular nut.

​​​​​​https://www.jwwinco.com/en-us/produc...RoCf0YQAvD_BwE
Old 11-06-22, 04:18 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Start with a nut of the right thread and overall thickness. Chuck a threaded rod (screw with head cut off) into your power drill, screw on the nut, and run at low rpm while holding it at the right angle against the face of the grinding wheel. I suggest using some extra nuts behind the one being ground to improve clearance and avoid grinding the drill chuck.
This ^^ would be easy!

I think if it comes down to 'making' one, I'd start with a slotted circular nut if I could find one locally
It would be easy enough to cut a slot in the nut before (or after) following FBinNY's suggestion. Just use a Dremel tool with a cutting disk. Steady hands!
Old 11-06-22, 05:52 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
You now have a great opportunity to justify the purchase of that mini-lathe you've had your eye on.