Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The Yellow Line

Old 11-07-22, 12:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I courtesy done begrudgingly is not courteous.

Honestly, if the look in someone's eyes is your focus, I think there's some misplaced sense of priorities. Generally, the interactions are too short for me to rate them on a courtesy scale.
Old 11-07-22, 12:59 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Honestly, if the look in someone's eyes is your focus, I think there's some misplaced sense of priorities. Generally, the interactions are too short for me to rate them on a courtesy scale.
Yeah I get that, but hogging 3/4 of the path and then scowling at the person for not bowing out of their way is entitled adult bullying plain and simple, and I'm going to call that as I see it.
Old 11-07-22, 01:09 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
What you're just described sounds like a typical elitist roadie club riders who seem to believe that their ride is more important and that they have a right to take over an entire path to themselves and do their unsanctioned imagineay races.
Sounds more like groups of rookies. Newbies. Amateurs on beach cruisers. Etc, etc.

Elite road club cyclists would all be wearing appropriate shades and thus OP wouldn't know if they were giving him dirty looks or not.
Old 11-07-22, 01:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Yeah I get that, but hogging 3/4 of the path and then scowling at the person for not bowing out of their way is entitled adult bullying plain and simple, and I'm going to call that as I see it.
Frankly, if they get out of my way in time, I'm not going to notice a scowl. I've been known to yell people back into their lane under such circumstances when they aren't moving back fast enough.. That closing speed is awfully fast.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-07-22, 01:17 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Sounds more like groups of rookies. Newbies. Amateurs on beach cruisers. Etc, etc.

Elite road club cyclists would all be wearing appropriate shades and thus OP wouldn't know if they were giving him dirty looks or not.
"Elitist" is not the same thing as "elite". I have seen people fully kitted out on nice bikes trying to paceline on MUPs. It's invariably a mess, and no one with a lick of sense would try it.
Old 11-07-22, 01:33 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

That closing speed is awfully fast.
Yes it is, In that video I was going about 18 and am guessing the other party was doing something similar. That's a ~36mph speed differential!
Old 11-07-22, 02:32 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
It stopped happening when I specified "passing" and "on your left" Just saying "left" or "on your left" doesn't cut it.

From what I've seen where I ride, bells confuse a lot of people. I think some of this is regional tradition. Most people around here don't say anything and don't ring a bell when they pass, which I find mind-boggling..
I normally call "passing on your left." Started that after one encounter with three ladies when I was ringing my bell -- two kept walking and the third stepped left to look over her shoulder to find out what was making that noise, like a bell.

That last encounter is one reason I stealth pass people who're plugged in with earphones. If they even notice I'm behind them, they won't know what to do. Just stay where you are and let me navigate around you!
Old 11-07-22, 02:41 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Are there MUPs with speed limits over 15?
Likes For philbob57:
Old 11-07-22, 05:15 PM
Airfehr

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
And just because I like sharing this one... notice how on the first pass I still shift to the right, because there's two of them and plenty of room for me to get by. The second one I still shift, but they are not only taking up both lanes, but the pedestrian lane as well. At first I figured they would squeeze in like the previous riders, but started hitting my brakes when it appeared they were just going to bulldoze right through.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOgtBrjoK88
That's what I'm talking about. It's never the noobs. It's typically a fully kitted group. Or some couple with e-bikers with dog trailers once in awhile. Those guys move way slow. The cyclists should know better but are to superior to have to give way.
Old 11-07-22, 06:05 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,423 Times in 2,824 Posts
Originally Posted by Airfehr
The cyclists should know better but are to superior to have to give way.
Hearsay your Honor with no tangible proof. Motion to dismiss.

Old 11-07-22, 06:39 PM
Airfehr

Originally Posted by rsbob
Hearsay your Honor with no tangible proof. Motion to dismiss.
Likes For Airfehr:
Old 11-07-22, 06:41 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by pdlamb
That last encounter is one reason I stealth pass people who're plugged in with earphones. If they even notice I'm behind them, they won't know what to do. Just stay where you are and let me navigate around you!
I once had an inline skater suddenly swerve in front of me right after I called my pass. After she picked herself up off the ground, I noticed she had earbuds in and said, "You should take your left earbud out" to which she replied, "No, I'm not hurt" (she had no idea what I said, thanks to the earbuds). I now watch for earbuds and pass very cautiously.

Originally Posted by philbob57
I don't know about speed limits of 18, 20, 25, etc. but most of the ones around here have no speed limit at all. Personally, I would favor a 15mph or 18mph speed limit on them. When I ride on them, I don't expect to be able to go fast, and I expect to slow down to get around traffic (including pedestrians and skaters) frequently. MUPs just aren't the proper venue for trying to beat your personal TT record.

That's what I'm talking about. It's never the noobs. It's typically a fully kitted group. Or some couple with e-bikers with dog trailers once in awhile. Those guys move way slow. The cyclists should know better but are to superior to have to give way.
The noobs have their own problems... weaving side-to-side without checking, stopping abruptly without warning, entering the path without checking for traffic. I guess at least those are simply ignorant and not blatant like the kitted path bullies, but it will still hurt just as much if they take you down.
Old 11-07-22, 07:07 PM
Airfehr

The noobs have their own problems... weaving side-to-side without checking, stopping abruptly without warning, entering the path without checking for traffic. I guess at least those are simply ignorant and not blatant like the kitted path bullies, but it will still hurt just as much if they take you down.
Agreed. These are the people I tend to scare when I say on your left. That is the 50% without ear buds. I almost never have that group being ignorant when we are traveling in opposite directions. Approaching from behind is another matter.
Old 11-08-22, 07:14 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
It's typically a fully kitted group. Or some couple with e-bikers with dog trailers once in awhile. Those guys move way slow.
Really? One extreme or the other?

Fortunately I land somewhere in the middle with the other 99% of path users.
Old 11-09-22, 01:25 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
And just because I like sharing this one... notice how on the first pass I still shift to the right, because there's two of them and plenty of room for me to get by. The second one I still shift, but they are not only taking up both lanes, but the pedestrian lane as well. At first I figured they would squeeze in like the previous riders, but started hitting my brakes when it appeared they were just going to bulldoze right through.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOgtBrjoK88
Im confused. in the first video you played chicken with the oncoming rider in an effort to stay out of the rightmost lane, and in the second clip you had a bunch of room to your right that you chose not to use
Old 11-09-22, 01:56 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Im confused. in the first video you played chicken with the oncoming rider in an effort to stay out of the rightmost lane, and in the second clip you had a bunch of room to your right that you chose not to use
Watch it again. In the first clip, I move over slightly but did not need to leave my lane because the oncoming riders moved into theirs with plenty of time. In the second clip, I move all the way over to the pedestrian lane but am still being faced by a rider who only moves over with less than 2 seconds left. A still from 36 seconds illustrates it well. As you can see, they are taking up every lane on the path.

Old 11-12-22, 10:55 AM
Airfehr

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Boo. Crappy troll. If you're going to troll at least try.
Likes For Airfehr:
Old 11-12-22, 12:05 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I wonder if there are regional differences to this behavior? Unfortunately many posters don’t state on their profile where they are located, but anyway, there are regions where people tend to be more considerate to others while in others, it’s more of a mob rule - get the heck out of my way.

When I frequently rode MUPs in the Seattle area, large groups would keep to the right, unless they could see I was moving far right to accommodate them riding three abreast. Never got dirty looks or anything else.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-12-22, 01:03 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
We have the Katy Trail State Park, the longest developed rail-trail in the US, and there is no posted speed limit nor do I find it in trail use guidance. However, electric bikes are limited to those with a maximum speed of 20 mph. That would also be about as fast as strong riders go when there is open space.

Trail guidance does specify the following:

TRAIL ETIQUETTE
As a courtesy, please notify other users when you plan to pass them from behind. Additionally, when traveling in a group, move to the right when meeting oncoming users.”

The MKT connector trail into town does have a 15 mph speed limit in the city limits and does specify in posted trail rules that cyclists should slow and signal a warning when passing. MKT rules allow “pedal-assist” bikes.

MKT trail guidance also says:

”Keep right, pass on the left, move off the trail when stopping.
• Be courteous, yield appropriately, announce your approach. Bicyclists traveling downhill should yield to uphill traffic.
• Be predictable, use hand signals, ….”

For the most part, regular trail users abide by these rules. I try to have some patience with new users who may not have all this sorted out yet. And sometimes even regular riders make mistakes and pass when there is an oncoming rider.

Otto
Old 11-12-22, 04:42 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by rsbob
I wonder if there are regional differences to this behavior? Unfortunately many posters don’t state on their profile where they are located, but anyway, there are regions where people tend to be more considerate to others while in others, it’s more of a mob rule - get the heck out of my way.

When I frequently rode MUPs in the Seattle area, large groups would keep to the right, unless they could see I was moving far right to accommodate them riding three abreast. Never got dirty looks or anything else.
Good point. I do know people who feel that large cities tend to be less polite because of anonymity, but you mention Seattle and that's a big city. I also wonder if the larger cities just mean you're bound to run into more people (polite and unpolite) and of course you'll notice the rude ones most.
Old 11-12-22, 09:30 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

One of our most used local MUPs had 15 MPH signs posted every 3 miles. They became so popular that that had to be replaced twice and finally the authorities just gave up and stopped putting them up.

Old 11-13-22, 07:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Most of the ones in my area have no speed limit.
One is posted at 25 mph.
Old 11-13-22, 10:14 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Are speed limits on MUP's even enforceable?
It seems unlikely that these would survive a court challenge.
Likes For msu2001la: