Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Shimano Japan factory fire

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-18, 11:34 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts

Saw the news of the factory/HQ/R&D facility fire.

Hundreds of employees evacuated as fire rips through Shimano factory and headquarters in Japan - Cycling Weekly

Fairly sure Nexus hubs are built there. I think all the models with more than 7 gears are/were manufactured there and the Nexus 7 production was split between Japan and Czech Republic although this was sometime ago so may have changed.

When Sram stopped producing hubs there was a huge increase in Nexus production as demand peaked so wonder if this will have an effect on pricing etc in the short term.

Old video of the factory here.

Old 03-28-18, 01:08 PM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
That is quite a factory there. I got a tour about a year ago. Interesting that it happened in the Anodizing area. Anodizing is a fairly nasty process, and was not on the tour.

Speaking of Shimano internal hubs. They have a sweet 5 Speed hub they produce and will only sell in Japan. They feel it will undermine the Nexus market I believe but my sense on it, they are making a big mistake not selling it in other markets. 5 Speed hubs are very practical and their build is lightweight and compact.

I hope all is well with the fire for them. Impressive factory. Very impressive.
Old 03-28-18, 01:29 PM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Originally Posted by L Arnold
That is quite a factory there. I got a tour about a year ago. Interesting that it happened in the Anodizing area. Anodizing is a fairly nasty process, and was not on the tour.

Speaking of Shimano internal hubs. They have a sweet 5 Speed hub they produce and will only sell in Japan. They feel it will undermine the Nexus market I believe but my sense on it, they are making a big mistake not selling it in other markets. 5 Speed hubs are very practical and their build is lightweight and compact.

I hope all is well with the fire for them. Impressive factory. Very impressive.
Maybe its a lighter duty model and wouldn't withstand the greater punishment us heavier Europeans and Americans would give it. Same as chinese retail spec frames vs the stronger US/EU spec frames which meet higher weight limits.
Old 03-28-18, 02:08 PM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
Maybe its a lighter duty model and wouldn't withstand the greater punishment us heavier Europeans and Americans would give it. Same as chinese retail spec frames vs the stronger US/EU spec frames which meet higher weight limits.
I think it has more to do with Market positioning. I think it is a better drive with fewer speeds than the Nexus... Also, the Nexus model generally supply the European and American market and are made in Europe. Duties out of Japan are high and likely difficult to get enough money for a Japanese market model into other markets.

For instance the Dahon Boardwalk is sold at a premium price with that drive in Japan. I was hoping it might be able to be used in a baseline Curl but heard it was not possible for "market" reasons. Japanese are not small folks necessarily at all.

But hey, Dahon did give a 280 weight rating to the Curl and 250 to the Vybe Tour with the Delta Line. Transmissions may have weight ratings too. Worth an inquiry perhaps.
Old 03-28-18, 06:58 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
It is available on Amazon, shipped from Japan

https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-HUB-N.../dp/B00I0RKOX8
Old 03-29-18, 01:52 AM
Bonzo Banana

Originally Posted by L Arnold
I think it has more to do with Market positioning. I think it is a better drive with fewer speeds than the Nexus... Also, the Nexus model generally supply the European and American market and are made in Europe. Duties out of Japan are high and likely difficult to get enough money for a Japanese market model into other markets.

For instance the Dahon Boardwalk is sold at a premium price with that drive in Japan. I was hoping it might be able to be used in a baseline Curl but heard it was not possible for "market" reasons. Japanese are not small folks necessarily at all.

But hey, Dahon did give a 280 weight rating to the Curl and 250 to the Vybe Tour with the Delta Line. Transmissions may have weight ratings too. Worth an inquiry perhaps.
I have 2 nexus bikes, one a Muddyfox Evolve 200 which appears to be a chinese fuji-ta folding bike frame, japanese made Nexus hub and finally assembly of the bike probably in somewhere like Bangladesh (to avoid EU duties). The other a Carrera Subway 8 which has the 8 speed hub and again appears to be fuji-ta frame, japanese hub but this is an older bike and is assembled in Vietnam.

From what was written on bikebiz the Czech republic factory initially at least was only assembling nexus 7 hubs from japanese parts. Shimano was pushed for European assembly so European made bikes had a higher European content. I think the Netherlands has more bikes than people and Germany also has a very high ratio of 2 out of 3 people having bikes compared to the average of 1 out 3 in France and the UK. The Netherlands and Germany are huge markets for Nexus hubs. I thought the Nexus 7 production in the Czech Republic was mainly supplying to European bike assemblers and full manufacturers. I would of thought Nexus 7's sold outside Europe were more likely to be Japanese at least if not exclusively Japanese.