Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon new website launched

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-18, 07:30 PM
dahonleslie

Bikes: Dahon Mariner, Dahon Speed,Giant XTC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Guys, we launched our new website yesterday. We know there are many more jobs need to be done,like more good pics, content, programs etc. Really want to know your opinion on the new site. Your suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Old 04-16-18, 02:01 AM
kidshibuya

Bikes: Tyrell CSI, Dahon Mu LT11, Doppelganger Aurora 219

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You had one job... Guess what it was?

Ok so I found your new site and frankly it's as bad as the old one. I don't get it, dahon is a big enough company, why do you have a $5 WordPress site?

Last edited by kidshibuya; 04-16-18 at 02:08 AM.
Old 04-16-18, 06:30 AM
kidshibuya

Bikes: Tyrell CSI, Dahon Mu LT11, Doppelganger Aurora 219

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok I am home now with some spare time. For the record I am a web developer, and a very good one.

I dont know what it is about the bike industry but you all have horrible websites. Take this for example (search tyrell csi on google like I did because I was interested in one recently):
csi | Tyrell Bike | ******************************???TYRELL********************? ??? **********?

Not only are they beaten to No1, but their first page in the results is totally broken. They have no clue how many sales they are losing.

But on the topic of Dahon's site in particular, its blindly obvious you did it on the cheap. The issues are many. First of all it takes an age to load, this is because its WordPress which is slow to begin with but also you used a "point and click developer", meaning they created the site by pointing their mouse over "install plugin" and then clicking their mouse. Looking at your source code there are few plugins on the internet they didn't use. Each plugin used add its own processing/download time to the page load. Slow sites annoy your customers and on slow phones they might not even bother to wait for your site at all, that's without mentioning how broken it is on mobile anyway...

Then when your site does load what I am seeing? Some ****** on a bike trying to look cool even though he is like 50 and in a suit? And I meant to be buying him? Where are the bikes? Load up sites from the pros, those who sell cars. Load toyota, nissan, honda etc or any of the big players, what do you see? You will see the model they are pushing at the moment right at the top of the page, just a shot of the car, not some guy. Then right under it will be options to view the models in logical segments. Its push the latest marketing campaign right in your face then get straight to the point, selecting a car.

How do I even get to see the bikes on your site? I am most likely to be looking under the suit guy where I can click on the bike and where it says bikes... which does nothing at all. OK... I have to click "go to bikes" under it. And in the same row given the same importance are about, video and support. Do you really want your customers reading about the foundation of some company instead of looking at a bike they might give you money for? No? Then why give those options equal prominence? I know why, because nobody cared enough to give it any thought.

But when we get the to bikes page things are just as dire. Its a bog standard woocommerce listing, same as any scammer will setup to skim credit cards. From a customers point of view what do all these crazy bike names mean? Maybe if I am a learned alcoholic ill know to chose a hemingway over an espresso, but for the rest of us which bikes have what features? Do you really expect me to click them all?

Segment your bikes and give customers an idea of what bikes would suit their needs, avoid the tyranny of choice. But again, the next page in the story is just as depressing. I am not even going to say anything, just look at how you present a bike page and how your competitor (who I believe will eat you alive in the end) presents their bike:

https://dahon.com/bikes/mu-lx/
vs
********************??? DOPPELGANGERĀ®[**********????] Product page 140-H-GY - HaKoVelo

The internet is your No1 marketing avenue and you have so far to go.
Old 04-16-18, 06:53 AM
splithub

Bikes: FSIR Spin 2.0/Spin 5.1 Noahhk iF10

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
...dont do their job for free ;-)
When i see the development of Dahon, i have no questions anymore.
Old 04-16-18, 07:48 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
https://dahon.com/bikes/curl-i4/

Curl i4 with a 3 speed hub?! I thought the i stood for the number of internal gears same as D7 and D8 for derailleurs etc. Some inconsistencies on that page. Does mention 4 gears further down. I think for the small gain of a fourth gear I'd prefer the greater reliability of the 3 speed hub. Maybe I'm wrong but I seem to remember the 4 speed version was noticeably less reliable than the 3 speed and internally much more complicated and shared more of its design with 5-7 speed hubs. Considering they have the i8 version for those who need wider gear ratios my preference would be a i3 version anyway in the range for those lighter and more fit that just want more reliability for maybe an everyday commuter bike.

Quite a lot of model variations between different regions.

********************??-DAHON********************????

Although some of the Dahon chinese bikes look to be rebranded fuji-ta or flying pigeon bikes (2 very large chinese manufacturers). There seems to be many European and US brands that basically resell Chinese bikes with their brand with a huge price increase to the Chinese. I guess the fear of Chinese brand quality being a lottery might mean people are happy to pay more with the assurances of it being better tested. Although many such bikes look poor. Generally looks like spending more for no gain.
Old 04-16-18, 09:55 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts
D means not as well spec'd as P. 4 speed SA hubs at least the English ones were less reliable and needed more careful adjusting. I had a 7 speed Shimano and it was reliable but heavy and less efficient than 3 speeds.

[QUOTE=Bonzo Banana;20287110]https://dahon.com/bikes/curl-i4/

Curl i4 with a 3 speed hub?! I thought the i stood for the number of internal gears same as D7 and D8 for derailleurs etc. Some inconsistencies on that page. Does mention 4 gears further down. I think for the small gain of a fourth gear I'd prefer the greater reliability of the 3 speed hub. Maybe I'm wrong but I seem to remember the 4 speed version was noticeably less reliable than the 3 speed and internally much more complicated and shared more of its design with 5-7 speed hubs. Considering they have the i8 version for those who need wider gear ratios my preference would be a i3 version anyway in the range for those lighter and more fit that just want more reliability for maybe an everyday commuter bike.
Old 04-16-18, 11:17 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
D means not as well spec'd as P. 4 speed SA hubs at least the English ones were less reliable and needed more careful adjusting. I had a 7 speed Shimano and it was reliable but heavy and less efficient than 3 speeds.
Looking at most of the range D just seems to mean derailleur even being used for higher end 9 speed derailleur models. Just noticed there is even a D3 model with a 3 speed cogset, not seen that before. i for internal gears and Ei for e-bike with internal hub gears. The 'P' seems to be less commonly used and not on the current models.

Just noticed they have max rider height on the left column and then a choice of 100kg or 105kg. Site still needs a lot of work.
Old 04-16-18, 11:38 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
Looking at most of the range D just seems to mean derailleur even being used for higher end 9 speed derailleur models. Just noticed there is even a D3 model with a 3 speed cogset, not seen that before. i for internal gears and Ei for e-bike with internal hub gears. The 'P' seems to be less commonly used and not on the current models.

Just noticed they have max rider height on the left column and then a choice of 100kg or 105kg. Site still needs a lot of work.
Yes, what I posted may not be current. I have not been interested in Dahon for years. However, I would like to try a Curl.
Old 04-22-18, 07:29 PM
MJBikes99

Bikes: Trek Domane, Dahon EEZZ, Brompton

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cheap site I can buy at 100 USD I guess
Old 04-23-18, 07:01 AM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I see several improvements there. No more of the "load more" process for scrolling through the bikes.

It takes a lot of work to keep the specs up to date. I3/I4 on the Curl... That is mostly SRAM's fault for dropping their Internal Hub Line... but details do matter and as we all know, there are lots of details.

Kudos from Colorado. USA site still needs the touch.
I do agree with many of the other comments, WordPress is not ideal but lets leave that conversation elsewhere.