Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

US REI Brompton purchase: not impressed

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-22, 12:15 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts

I stepped in to assist a family member with a Brompton purchase. The configuration that was supposedly available at an REI store, ~1h away, was significantly closer to the one we aimed at than the one immediately available from the dealer we normally turned to so we decided to go with REI - there was some cascading set of events that called for a speedy action, including my forthcoming 4 week travel and the travel of the family member thereafter with the bike taken along. We went ahead with the REI purchase, but that involved a disturbing set of stumbles. I would shrug of each of them in isolation but all of them together suggest to look elsewhere when purchasing the folding bike.
  • After purchase it turned out that the bike would become available only in 7 days. That spelled a mess, as I was leaving earlier for my trip and the family member felt insecure picking up the bike themselves. Negotiations with REI about the pickup required numerous phone calls. Even after agreeing that the bike would be put together and wait few weeks for me, hanging from their ceiling rack, I was getting messages that we would lose the bike, if I did not pick it up in time. Then I had to call from abroad.
  • After we picked the bike and brought it home, the tip of the hook holding the folded bike together fell off. We thought we broke it and were surprised as it never happened with our other Bromptons that we had for years. Closer examination revealed tough that the hook was broken before and put together with SuperGlue! There was a layer of the glue there and it dissolved with acetone.
  • We got a new hook from another vendor and put it on, but when we lifted the folded bike, it was disassembling itself in the air. The seatpost stop, for adjusting how the bike holds together, was never pushed against the seatpost, presumably because of the hook that could not be trusted by then.
  • When getting your Brompton from REI, you are offered 1h of free labor putting any customization parts on the bike. We brought an SP dynohub wheel and B&M dynamo lights and Brompton wire for mounting. REI put these on, but could not get the lights to come on. When we brought the bike home, we discovered that they pushed the lamp wire so far into the connector that it was wire's insulation pressing against the dynamo terminals, rather than the core wire itself.
  • 2 weeks after the bike was already home, both tires went pretty completely flat. After thorough investigation we found that these were the vent cores that were leaking. Clearly the tires must have already gone flat already in the REI storage, but apparently nobody bothered to investigate and just filled the tires and pushed the problem onto the customer. Further blame there goes onto Impac (owned now by Schwalbe) that manufactured the tubes and Brompton.
  • In the commotion of the lights not working, I forgot to ask about the box that Brompton came in. A knowledgeable Brompton dealer would have asked whether we want it, aware of how useful it can be to the owner.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 07-23-22, 04:26 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I love REI and have been a member forever, but the quality of their bike departments completely depends on which REI you are at - the mechanic skill levels vary widely. I've been to 4 REI in my area and only one has shop people I would let work on my bike. Now that's true of independent shops as well - the quality of the work and skill of the staff is not a given anywhere. When you find a shop with folks you trust, it's a keeper. REI's one year return policy of satisfaction guaranteed applies to bikes. I bought a Novarro DF there a decade ago and I still
ended up taking it to my favorite mechanic who gave it a good once over and ended up re-trueing the wheels. As a musician...if you buy a guitar from Guitar Center you know you're going to take it to a luthier for a proper setup. REI is still a big chain, even though it's a co-op, and I would expect any bike from a big chain to need some TLC as well. Also, I'm guessing Brompton sends them pretty much already assembled so not sure if the quality issues originated with REI, although they indeed should have caught them.
Likes For linberl:
Old 07-23-22, 07:45 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

We have been members forever too, longer than many other things lasted for me, including cycling. Every once in a while I have a chance to visit their flagship store. However in our area their stores are sparse and I have no chance to develop a perspective on their cycling shops - this will be the case for many people. The impression of the particular one was that Brompton was very exotic for them and maybe the dynohub too. The bike was passed between different mechanics between the start and end of our visit but apparently ended with the head one, at least for the particular shift. I wrote to them about the hook holding the bike together that got repaired with superglue. They wrote back with apologies and also said that this does not represent 'the culture of their shop'. I have hard time believing that someone would have done such a 'repair' at Brompton. After discovering the fold that was left loose and the tires that both went flat I am sorry to say that I do not see the superglue that inconsistent with the culture of that particular shop. I can speculate that maintaining high standards can be harder at a larger enterprise. Other than that, the small Brompton dealers I coped with were usually very comfortable around these bikes.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 07-23-22, 09:43 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by 2_i
We have been members forever too, longer than many other things lasted for me, including cycling. Every once in a while I have a chance to visit their flagship store. However in our area their stores are sparse and I have no chance to develop a perspective on their cycling shops - this will be the case for many people. The impression of the particular one was that Brompton was very exotic for them and maybe the dynohub too. The bike was passed between different mechanics between the start and end of our visit but apparently ended with the head one, at least for the particular shift. I wrote to them about the hook holding the bike together that got repaired with superglue. They wrote back with apologies and also said that this does not represent 'the culture of their shop'. I have hard time believing that someone would have done such a 'repair' at Brompton. After discovering the fold that was left loose and the tires that both went flat I am sorry to say that I do not see the superglue that inconsistent with the culture of that particular shop. I can speculate that maintaining high standards can be harder at a larger enterprise. Other than that, the small Brompton dealers I coped with were usually very comfortable around these bikes.
Yeah, that doesn't sound good. It may be the culture of that particular store or just the culture in the bike shop but it's not acceptable. I know nothing like that would happen at that one REI I patronize and they certainly wouldn't make a shoddy repair to avoid culpability. If it happened to me, I would be writing a letter to the REI board expressing my concern. If they did it to one person, they probably have done it to others (not necessarily Brompton customers). Sounds like some retraining is needed and maybe some heads to roll. I definitely don't think REI as a company/co=op would approve.
Likes For linberl:
Old 07-24-22, 06:37 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
My local REI had a Brompton on the retail floor.

I went over to the tire rack. Yep, they did not inventory 16" tires or tubes.

Fail.
Old 07-24-22, 08:17 AM
Transcargo

Bikes: Giant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
I stepped in to assist a family member with a Brompton purchase. The configuration that was supposedly available at an REI store, ~1h away, was significantly closer to the one we aimed at than the one immediately available from the dealer we normally turned to so we decided to go with REI - there was some cascading set of events that called for a speedy action, including my forthcoming 4 week travel and the travel of the family member thereafter with the bike taken along. We went ahead with the REI purchase, but that involved a disturbing set of stumbles. I would shrug of each of them in isolation but all of them together suggest to look elsewhere when purchasing the folding bike.
  • After purchase it turned out that the bike would become available only in 7 days. That spelled a mess, as I was leaving earlier for my trip and the family member felt insecure picking up the bike themselves. Negotiations with REI about the pickup required numerous phone calls. Even after agreeing that the bike would be put together and wait few weeks for me, hanging from their ceiling rack, I was getting messages that we would lose the bike, if I did not pick it up in time. Then I had to call from abroad.
  • After we picked the bike and brought it home, the tip of the hook holding the folded bike together fell off. We thought we broke it and were surprised as it never happened with our other Bromptons that we had for years. Closer examination revealed tough that the hook was broken before and put together with SuperGlue! There was a layer of the glue there and it dissolved with acetone.
  • We got a new hook from another vendor and put it on, but when we lifted the folded bike, it was disassembling itself in the air. The seatpost stop, for adjusting how the bike holds together, was never pushed against the seatpost, presumably because of the hook that could not be trusted by then.
  • When getting your Brompton from REI, you are offered 1h of free labor putting any customization parts on the bike. We brought an SP dynohub wheel and B&M dynamo lights and Brompton wire for mounting. REI put these on, but could not get the lights to come on. When we brought the bike home, we discovered that they pushed the lamp wire so far into the connector that it was wire's insulation pressing against the dynamo terminals, rather than the core wire itself.
  • 2 weeks after the bike was already home, both tires went pretty completely flat. After thorough investigation we found that these were the vent cores that were leaking. Clearly the tires must have already gone flat already in the REI storage, but apparently nobody bothered to investigate and just filled the tires and pushed the problem onto the customer. Further blame there goes onto Impac (owned now by Schwalbe) that manufactured the tubes and Brompton.
  • In the commotion of the lights not working, I forgot to ask about the box that Brompton came in. A knowledgeable Brompton dealer would have asked whether we want it, aware of how useful it can be to the owner.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Obviously this store did not want you to remain loyal customer.
Old 07-25-22, 11:04 AM
termv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bottom line

Why am I not surprised? A good, a real good mechanic is now hard to find! Be it Bicycle or Car.

S A D but true!

I just saw that I am categorized as a NEWBIE! It is true, I don't post often, because I don't see a reason to reiterate what others have already communicated. Still, NEWBIE?
Old 07-25-22, 11:41 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Did you take it back for their return policy?
Old 07-25-22, 11:57 AM
2_i 

Originally Posted by himespau
Did you take it back for their return policy?
No, the family member needs the bike in travel starting this week. This and the REI being 1h away made it impractical to engage in any in-person iterations with them. Other than the bikes, they do not offer nearly anything for Brompton, so even the replacement finger we had to order from elsewhere. We are just absorbing the losses and moving on with life. We may still write to the REI board, though, as linberl suggested.
Old 07-25-22, 12:07 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by 2_i
No, the family member needs the bike in travel starting this week. This and the REI being 1h away made it impractical to engage in any in-person iterations with them. Other than the bikes, they do not offer nearly anything for Brompton, so even the replacement finger we had to order from elsewhere. We are just absorbing the losses and moving on with life. We may still write to the REI board, though, as linberl suggested.
I hope you do write the Board. I love REI and the only way to help them keep it a wonderful place for members is ti give them important feedback upon which to improve.
Old 07-30-22, 10:02 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,453 Times in 1,132 Posts
Been a member at REI since 1976. In my opinion they were great until about 10 or 15 years ago, steady downhill slide since then. And it is not just competing with the internet, a lot of other stores have to compete too.
Old 08-11-22, 10:51 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
My local REI had a Brompton on the retail floor.

I went over to the tire rack. Yep, they did not inventory 16" tires or tubes.

Fail.
I bought my Brompton at my local REI about 20 months ago. I then ordered some tubes and a spare Schwalbe Marathon tire from their web site and had the order within five days. You're not going to buy a tube or tire after a flat or tire rip, you stock up in anticipation of the problem.

Since I'm a long time member and have the REI credit card from US Bank (I know that it's changing), I received 10% in REI dividends for the purchase and another 5% for using the card. That's 15% in dividends on +/- $2,000 purchase ($300) and quick turn around. This on a one time $20 (now $30) membership fee many many years ago.

WIN!!!

Last edited by MAK; 08-11-22 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-26-22, 10:05 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
I have been doing business with REI since they sold ice axes out of the garage.
Love'em but have to admit as a big box store they are not getting it together and half my purchases or trips to the store have been , uh, rough.