Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

What We Are Up Against?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

What We Are Up Against?

Old 09-19-22, 05:43 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Goliath wins 99 out of 100 times.

Go with the facts on the ground for your safety and not some misguided crusade. I would miss you around here.
I have had more close calls on MUP's than regular roads, most likely because the roads are regulated better (no rule to check your blind spot, signal, stop suddenly, etc. on the path). Yes, the likelihood of survival in the event of an accident is far greater on the path, but riding while using a brain so as to avoid any accidents wins over them both.
Old 09-19-22, 08:21 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I have had more close calls on MUP's than regular roads...
I've had one close call on my local MUP in 20 years. Caused by a cyclist with two dogs on leashes even though pets are NOT allowed on that particular MUP. It caused a nice crash involving the mutt's owner and his riding companion. The rest of us survived unscathed. Otherwise, I have five hair raising experiences every day on the roads here. Some accidental, some purposeful.

The point I was trying to make in the post you responded to was to THINK. Not just blindly follow some stubborn dogma that "I won't give up my road" if there was a safer option at hand. If your roads are safer, then by all means avoid the MUP. I could ride 60 miles on my MUP and maybe see 10 other people, all courteous and paying attention. No pets, no kids. Heaven.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 09-19-22, 09:24 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
The point I was trying to make in the post you responded to was to THINK.
Oh, absolutely agreed. I think that's the underlying theme of all these threads. Take the lane or take the shoulder, take the MUP or take the road, use the crosswalk or use the turn lane, stop at the stop sign or... well, you know what I mean... but use your brain.

My closest MUP is in a major park littered with peds, runners, dog walkers (with retractable 25' leashes), cars going in and out of driveways, and even clueless cyclists. River trails are better, but then you apparently risk getting mugged. Around here, acting like a car (which includes stopping at lights/signs and waiting your turn) generally gets you respected like one.
Old 09-19-22, 09:57 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
My own recent experience with Montana drivers didn't leave me impressed with their abilities to begin with, better off on the MUP. Was sitting stopped, realized the car coming up on me wasn't stopping; turned the wheel, quick checked the mirror, and slammed the gas as the car finished screeching to a halt where my front seats had been. Thankfully a 2 lane road and not an oncoming lane or the kids in the back would have been seriously injured. That was the closest incident but hardly the only close call in only 5 days in the state. Always thought Rochester, NY drivers sucked, the state of MT gives them a run for their money. My father-in-law even commented while we were there on the antagonism between truck drivers and cyclists, and while he's a cheap beer swilling redneck with a truck, he's got 3 grandkids heavy into cycling and understands both sides of the issues better.
Old 09-20-22, 07:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Reading that forum was like swimming in an outhouse. Frankly, I don't see the point in subjecting yourself to that, but to each his own. I won't be back.

Last edited by livedarklions; 09-20-22 at 07:11 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-20-22, 11:01 AM
Gear_Admiral 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
The internet brings out the worst in every subgroup.

Living in the Florida panhandle, I'm surrounded by rednecks in pick up trucks. Most all of them give me plenty of room on the road and will stop and see if I need a ride when I'm roadside with a mechanical problem. Collectively, they are likely better behaved on the road than car drivers.
I would hazard a guess here that this situation is different for those outside of Tallahassee and those inside a city like Tallahassee. The people living in cities who buy trucks 100% for vanity reasons are almost universally "bad" in my experience, whereas in the rural areas it can be a toss-up. Yeah, we cyclists have problems with confirmation bias with truckers, but if thinking like an international relations realist, you have to consider that one truck driver out of thirty could easily *kill* you by "accident" or on purpose. Sure, your neighboring country may never choose to invade you, but there's a chance it could choose to militarily invade you. Let's take Portugal. If Portugal had zero army, then it would be a sitting duck if Spain wanted to conquer it again. Hence, Portugal will maintain some army for protection or as deterrent. Even if Spain were to help out in some humanitarian mission, like a volcano exploding in a city like Lisbon, Portugal has no idea what Spain may choose to do in two or twenty years' time.

Likewise, people on bikes can (and, I argue, should) be especially wary of two to three-ton machines with hoods higher than our heads.

Florida is also a strange beast with the number of transplants it has. Many are fine people and many are bad people who were drawn to Florida for the wrong reasons, for real or merely perceived reasons such as "woohoo, I can surround myself with only antisocial types and not pay any taxes at all and tint my car windows 99%. Florida, here I come!" (The reality is not this, but those people chasing this lifestyle will move to Florida). I didn't spend much time in the panhandle and these types are probably more likely to move to non-panhandle areas, but I could be wrong. I only lived there for a few years.
Old 09-21-22, 10:30 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 77 Posts
Love that area. I should have quit my job and moved down there 15 years ago.

Last edited by boozergut; 09-21-22 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Forgot to quote post above.
Old 09-21-22, 11:31 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
The internet brings out the worst in every subgroup.
Absolutely.

Organized sports forums (like a particular football team) are the worst.
Old 09-21-22, 11:48 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
For some masochistic reason I read the entire thread. I'm kind of disappointed the OP didn't point out that some of them seemed to be okay with injuring or even killing the six-year-old kid involved in the crash. Within two posts it devolved into cyclist bashing and managed to keep it up for 14 testosterone-fueled, entitled driver pages; it's impressive, really. My opinion of men has dropped another notch.
Likes For Korina:
Old 09-21-22, 01:29 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
For some masochistic reason I read the entire thread. I'm kind of disappointed the OP didn't point out that some of them seemed to be okay with injuring or even killing the six-year-old kid involved in the crash. Within two posts it devolved into cyclist bashing and managed to keep it up for 14 testosterone-fueled, entitled driver pages; it's impressive, really. My opinion of men has dropped another notch.
I'm sure you mean cagemen, not all men, right ?
Old 09-21-22, 06:59 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Gear_Admiral
I would hazard a guess here that this situation is different for those outside of Tallahassee and those inside a city like Tallahassee. The people living in cities who buy trucks 100% for vanity reasons are almost universally "bad" in my experience, whereas in the rural areas it can be a toss-up.
That could be. I don't ride in the city that often and when I do it's largely on the less affluent southside. If you're theory is correct, the worst of it would be in the northeast suburbs. Where there are a lot of large, expensive pickups. And a lot of traffic. I suspect the riders who live are often the folks who drive to my area to ride.
Old 09-22-22, 08:33 AM
AmandaKY

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, I have no idea.
Old 09-23-22, 12:41 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Originally Posted by holytrousers
I'm sure you mean cagemen, not all men, right ?
Sure.
Likes For Korina:
Old 09-26-22, 07:43 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Pick-em-up driving inbreds******************************?
The sad thing is... some of us cyclists actually drive pickup trucks from time to time.
Old 09-26-22, 07:46 AM
genec
genec

Please don't give up on "men."

Some of us are kind, gentle and caring humans...

The large "boy-children" of that thread obviously have little respect for anyone besides themselves, and likely have never learned to "play well with others."
Likes For genec:
Old 09-26-22, 10:25 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by genec

The large "boy-children" of that thread obviously have little respect for anyone besides themselves, and likely have never learned to "play well with others."
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them are proud boys.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 09-26-22, 11:05 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Daniel4
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them are proud boys.
I don't know, don't wanna speculate... that might make the thread political and force a move.

Bottom line is that those folks expressing those opinions about cyclists, or any other user of the road, apparently didn't learn how to "share" in kindergarten, nor did they learn the rules of the road... "don't hit that which is in front of you..." Nor did they learn basic human courtesy.

Now they have big trucks and a Jackazz attitude toward others on the road. Folks of a similar nature also go around blocking EV charging stations... simply because they can and again, have bad attitudes about others... Essentially acting like "fourth graders" on the playground.

It certainly isn't a proper rural or western attitude... which usually includes a bit of "help your neighbor."
Old 09-26-22, 11:27 AM
trooper2899
trooper2899

Bikes: Cobbed up Giant MTN with street wheels

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My experience is that most Bike haters are obese cigarette smokers and are pizzed off by the appearance of slender people on bikes on the public by-ways.......there was a popular NY radio celebrity who routinely raved about driving behind "skinny" Bikers with their "little skinny Azzes on those Little seats"......he would really go off on it - Alas he had a coronary and EXPIRED (case closed)
Old 09-26-22, 12:31 PM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by trooper2899
My experience is that most Bike haters are obese cigarette smokers and are pizzed off by the appearance of slender people on bikes on the public by-ways.......there was a popular NY radio celebrity who routinely raved about driving behind "skinny" Bikers with their "little skinny Azzes on those Little seats"......he would really go off on it - Alas he had a coronary and EXPIRED (case closed)
There was a time when I went to a lot of trade shows. Then one year, I took notice of something.

The people who go to the Outdoor Adventure Show (canoeists, wilderness camping, hikers, backpackers, cycling, adventure vacations) were generally skinny people.

The people who go to the Sportsman Show (fishing, hunting) were generally overweight people. Not all, of course because I was there.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 09-26-22, 01:39 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Daniel4
There was a time when I went to a lot of trade shows. Then one year, I took notice of something.

The people who go to the Outdoor Adventure Show (canoeists, wilderness camping, hikers, backpackers, cycling, adventure vacations) were generally skinny people.

The people who go to the Sportsman Show (fishing, hunting) were generally overweight people. Not all, of course because I was there.
So the generalization is that people that do "self powered" things... hiking, cycling, kayaking, etc have the bodies that reflect those activities...
People that sit on or in motorized vehicles for "entertainment" have the bodies that reflect that passive lifestyle.

But the question is where does the "attitude" come from?
Likes For genec:
Old 09-26-22, 01:56 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Reading that forum was like swimming in an outhouse. Frankly, I don't see the point in subjecting yourself to that, but to each his own. I won't be back.
i followed the link too, i have seen toxic forums but that’s worse than anything i’ve seen on the common internet.
Old 09-26-22, 02:02 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Our local person who spews that kind of venom and ran me off the road, twice, and lectured me about how I don't belong on the road, is a woman.

I do suspect that the attitude and aggression is more prevalent amongst males, but it is also worth noting (a) internet forums, like that one and even this one, skew heavily male, and (b) a lot of it was bravado/bull-shyte.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of horrible people, and no one sex/gender/race etc appears to have a monopoly.
Old 09-26-22, 02:05 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
The sad thing is... some of us cyclists actually drive pickup trucks from time to time.
Those are called mountain bikers.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-26-22, 05:09 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

I know quite a few decent men. Unfortunately they're not the ones in power.
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Our local person who spews that kind of venom and ran me off the road, twice, and lectured me about how I don't belong on the road, is a woman.

I do suspect that the attitude and aggression is more prevalent amongst males, but it is also worth noting (a) internet forums, like that one and even this one, skew heavily male, and (b) a lot of it was bravado/bull-shyte.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of horrible people, and no one sex/gender/race etc appears to have a monopoly.
As with all generalizations, it's not accurate. I agree about it being largely bravado/men one-upping each other.
Likes For Korina:
Old 09-26-22, 07:52 PM
Daniel4

So the generalization is that people that do "self powered" things... hiking, cycling, kayaking, etc have the bodies that reflect those activities...
People that sit on or in motorized vehicles for "entertainment" have the bodies that reflect that passive lifestyle.

But the question is where does the "attitude" come from?
I don't know. You tell me since you made the conclusion, not me. I just reported the observation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.