Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Where to buy Gore-Tex Windstopper fabric?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 10-14-22, 02:05 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts

I'd like to have some WindStopper fabric (in bulk). I would like to try to have some of it sewn in to some of my cycling garments to block the wind. Does anyone who sews or knows someone who sews know of any fabric supply houses where I could purchase a yard or two at a decent price. So far my internet searches just take me to the garments themselves not the fabric.
Old 10-15-22, 10:31 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 514 Posts
I don't know, in addition to the obvious, have you considered asking in sewing fabric type forums? But, just [FWIW], I have some Windstopper type garments and they are what they are. You don't sew windstopper material into anything else. That defeats the purpose. Also, 'a yard or two' is probably not anyone's definition of 'bulk'. You won't likely get anyone to sell you that little of anything "at a decent price". Sounds to me like you just need to layer. [/FWIW]
Old 10-18-22, 09:09 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 409 Posts
I do a bit of sewing, and have considered doing this to some of my garments for winter riding. But then I think…well, I don’t want it to be ‘that’ protective when it isn’t cold. So…I’ve thought that I’d simply make a liner out of Gore-tex windstopper fabric that I could wear under any garment. I don’t really know exactly where to get the fabric. I’ve thought that I’d go to a local fabric store, and if they don’t carry it, they would probably at least know where I could get it. Or, order some for me. Another option is to buy a new windstopper garment, and alter it so that it can function as the liner for any over-garment like I described above.

Dan
Old 10-18-22, 10:48 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 407 Posts
probably cheaper to buy the finished garment than the materials. kinda like building up from a bare bike frame... You might call Rainy Pass Repair - I've spoken to them in the past, they know this kinda stuff and have excellent service. I'd doubt they will sell you material, but they might point you in a good direction.
Old 10-23-22, 07:26 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
If you can't find Windstopper fabric by the yard, another option to consider is Polartec WindPro fleece. I use to buy that by the yard at a store called G-street Fabrics. It appears to be available by the yard at lots of fabric webtailers.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 10-23-22, 08:24 PM
eddy m

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 48 Posts
I don't think you can buy Goretex materials. The company licenses the use of lables to garment manufacurers, and they have high quality standards. Their business model is to keep Goretex in the high price market, and selling materials would undermine that.
Look for a generic product. Some of them perform as well as Goretex.

em
Likes For eddy m:
Old 10-24-22, 05:15 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 210 Posts
You can't buy Gore-Tex fabric in bulk as an individual. And beyond that, actually sewing that fabric is not easy, if not done properly, it will eventually start to fray and leak.

And also, the wind stopper fabric is the lowest level of their fabric. I find it does not do anything well.
Old 10-24-22, 06:54 AM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
Great winter clothing:
https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/?msc...ing%20Clothing

Don't forget merino wool base layers. Winter cycling is EXPEN$IVE if you want to do it right.
Old 10-30-22, 09:38 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
The Rain Shed in Albany Oregon or on line has other brands of waterproof / breathable fabric. We have bought stuff from them for maybe 30 years or more. They also have all the supplies needed to work with the fabrics they sell. We have some touring clothes that my wife made from fabrics we bought from them. Mostly we wanted cycling clothing that was more appropriate for visiting museums and churches when touring in Europe.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 10-30-22, 09:47 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I'd try googling something like outdoor fabrics. Portland used to have a place that had all sorts of great fabrics; some name brands, others not. Owner knew her stuff. I loved that place and bought 600 weight windblock fleece to have an outdoor repair outfit make me custom knee warmers. Total success. 15 years later I'm still wearing those warmers on most of my rides. (Sadly, the owner retired and that was her show entirely. Should have stocked up on zippers and the like.)

Edit: Thank you, DangerousDanR. (Rain Shed came up on the first page when I DuckDuck'd outdoor fabrics eugene.)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 10-30-22 at 09:55 PM.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 10-31-22, 08:01 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
Layering
I got a Patagonia very thin longsleeve baselayer some years ago, for those cool spring and fall days. It's very lightweight, way thinner than t-shirt material, and works great under a short sleeve jersey. And it's comfortable under a shirt for winter wear off the bike. I like it.

So I got a second one. What I didn't expect is how effective two thin layers are. I guess the outer layer slows the wind, making the second layer much warmer than expected. Either of these is very breathable and doesn't block much wind, but two together are effective down to the low 50F range. Surprising.

As it gets colder, an uninsulated cycling jacket with various base layers stacked is good for a wide range of riding temperatures. I have thicker base layers, these ultra thin ones, and recently got a thin fleece zip shirt.
Old 10-31-22, 08:06 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
edit: OK, apparently I'm not allowed to mention the most popular place on the internet for information on this subject! :-(
Old 10-31-22, 10:11 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Thank you, DangerousDanR. (Rain Shed came up on the first page when I DuckDuck'd outdoor fabrics eugene.)
The Rain Shed used to be just off campus in Corn Valley, so using anything with the word "Duck" in it just seems wrong.

Looking back, I bought materials to make a bivvy bag from them when I was attending Moo U, so it was probably about 50 years ago.

Happy to point people toward a good business. Fifty years and 1600 miles later and we are still buying from them. The "Green Pepper" patterns were also a good product.
Old 11-17-22, 12:07 PM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Windstopper is a brand used to describe what's used and how it's used. I don't think you buy a particular "Windstopper" fabric. It is a softshell fabric + taped seems + DWR coating
https://specialtyoutdoors.com/tips-f...s-and-notions/
https://discoveryfabrics.com/en-us/c...ons/softshells

It might be advisable to just buy a cheap, used jacket and test with it. The fabric is $30/yard + shipping. You can find a bargain bin jacket for $20

Last edited by jfranci3; 11-17-22 at 12:14 PM.
Likes For jfranci3:
Old 12-03-22, 03:31 PM
Recumbent_Jeff

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another place to purchase outerwear fabrics is Seattle Fabrics. I have had great experiences shopping with these folks when I lived in the Seattle area. This site won't let me post the link yet but their website is seattlefabrics dot com.