Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

tube patching glue

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

tube patching glue

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-22, 09:33 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
tube patching glue

just got mine, forgot I ordered it!

now I need to check my patch kits to see whats what

Wulidasheng Bicycle Tire Repair Glue, Bike Maintenance & Tools,5Pcs Bike Bicycle Tire Inner Tube Patches Glue Rubber Puncture Repair Tools
Old 11-03-22, 01:32 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 435 Posts
That looks like it might be rubber cement?--vulcanizing fluid is what should be used for patches, such as: 4 Tubes Rema SVS-Vulc Tube Patch Vulcanizing Cement 5 Gram (7 ml): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Likes For freeranger:
Old 11-03-22, 01:49 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by freeranger
That looks like it might be rubber cement?--vulcanizing fluid is what should be used for patches, such as: 4 Tubes Rema SVS-Vulc Tube Patch Vulcanizing Cement 5 Gram (7 ml): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
hmmm, thanks for that. what to do, what to do ...
Old 11-03-22, 03:32 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2598 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
hmmm, thanks for that. what to do, what to do ...
Use it up. If you notice any problems that can reasonably be attributed to the cement, buy something different after you've used these up. Otherwise, you can order more of the same.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 11-09-22, 08:46 AM
rumrunn6

OK, got the good stuff ...

but I need to ride the bikes! & get some flats!
Old 11-09-22, 10:04 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
FWIW, I've used that same brand as in the yellow tubes above (although purchased from a small eBay seller instead of Jeff Bezos ). It's worked fine, just the same as the Rema I've also used. I believe they are functionally the same whatever they actually are.

I have large containers for home use where 99% of my patches are done. Tiny tubes in the saddle bags. But I patch tubes on the road bordering on never.

Last edited by Camilo; 11-09-22 at 10:45 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 11-09-22, 10:13 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 434 Posts
There is no such thing as "vulcanizing fluid". It does not exist and is simply the same old regular Elmer's rubber cement you used back in elementary school, with a scam marketing name slapped on it. Check out this test by one of our own Bikeforums members who is a rubber chemist:

Click link
Likes For Yan:
Old 11-10-22, 12:09 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Use it up. If you notice any problems that can reasonably be attributed to the cement, buy something different after you've used these up. Otherwise, you can order more of the same.
Nothing to stop you from applying a patch to a spare tube just to see if the stuff works.
Old 11-10-22, 05:30 AM
rumrunn6

my only patches currently on any of my 3 bikes are holding up. 1 in front & 1 in back on my MTB. one done trailside & another done at home. I check on them seasonally when I swap the winter tires. it's been years now
Old 11-10-22, 08:25 AM
freeranger

Originally Posted by Yan
There is no such thing as "vulcanizing fluid". It does not exist and is simply the same old regular Elmer's rubber cement you used back in elementary school, with a scam marketing name slapped on it. Check out this test by one of our own Bikeforums members who is a rubber chemist:

Click link
I clicked and read the replies, including post #84--did you bother to read that far?
Old 11-10-22, 12:29 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 434 Posts
I clicked and read the replies, including post #84--did you bother to read that far?
Hmm... interesting. So there is a difference. Wonder what the OP's generic glue is.
Old 11-10-22, 02:40 PM
freeranger

In all fairness, I have read where riders have used it, some said it worked, and some said it did not work. But I'll stick with (unintended pun) the tried and proven- don't read of bad results using Rema patches and vulcanizing fluid (at least I haven't).
Old 11-11-22, 12:36 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Hmm... interesting. So there is a difference. Wonder what the OP's generic glue is.
Since I have the exact same product as the OP (yellow tube "Rubber Solution") I just grabbed one (my last one) and looked. No ingredients listed so I don't think that question can be answered.

I know the following makes no what-for to the scientists and materials experts among us, but I have used the "Yellow" stuff as well as the Rema stuff extensively. I've used both on genuine Rema patches as well as generic, similar looking patches I've bought in large sheets from Ebay sellers.

Again, I can't say what the ingredients are compared to Rema, but my experience has been:

To my eyes, nose, and fingers, they look, smell and feel like the same substance, they apply the same and dry the same.
They work equally well - perfectly, if prepped well; imperfectly if not prepped well - on both Rema and generic patches.

IOW, I can't tell any difference either by senses or function. So I really think that they are the same. Identical chemical make up? Who knows, but if different, it doesn't matter except maybe theoretically. It doesn't matter that the Yellow tubes say "Rubber Solution" and my current Rema tubes say "SVS Vulc"

I'm not arguing for the "yellow tube" product; I have only one tube of it left after using it exclusively for a couple of years, and recently bought a good supply of tiny and larger Rema tubes for road and shop, so will be using that again. Just want to say I think that "yellow" stuff is fine and if not chemically identical, functionally identical, if a person ever has occasion to use it.
Likes For Camilo: