Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ride With One Brake - Front or Rear??

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ride With One Brake - Front or Rear??

Old 07-23-19, 10:31 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I ride with a guy occasionally whos left hand is missing a few fingers after a butcher accident when he was a kid.

I am not sure of the specifics but his one “better” hand break lever runs both brakes. I have never explored how it works but i will now.

He used to only have a front brake and it was not working well. He said it was to dangerous and a bit tougher to control on hard applications. He tried the rear only but wasn’t good enough for a stand alone brake.

Just my knowledge with a bike rider that i know. I hope you get a solution though one brake just seems so dangerous to me
Old 07-23-19, 11:48 PM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Front brake only - not a good idea. Do a poll and ask how many long-time cyclists have gone over the front of a bike using just the front brake.
Flying over the handlebars and then screaming your head off that the front brake is dangerous is not the behavior of long time cyclists. It's that of idiots who don't know how to ride a bike.

I don't know how you managed to make it to 2000 posts without learning the correct way to stop isn't to crush the rear brake lever in an iron grip and do a big skid.

Squeeze the front brake lever gently at first then gradually increase your grip. Behold, you just stopped quietly, gently and in less space.
Likes For Cute Boy Horse:
Old 07-24-19, 01:18 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Cute Boy Horse
Squeeze the front brake lever gently at first then gradually increase your grip. Behold, you just stopped quietly, gently and in less space.
This works great until something happens that you don't expect like it did to me the other day and anyone's instant reaction is to just to slam on the brakes .... if I'd only had a front brake I probably would have been over the handle bars OR the front wheel going in underneath me as it was on a loose surface on a bend.

A decision like this needs to be considered in what happens in the worst case / panic situation to avoid an immediate crash not what happens when everything's nicely under control and you have plenty of time on your side to think and "do the right thing" as human nature dictates you react totally differently in the 2 scenarios.
Old 07-24-19, 08:24 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
This fixed gear rider, like many others, uses a front caliper *and* legs slowing the chain.

Why would there be two brake levers?
Likes For MikeyMK:
Old 07-24-19, 08:35 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
I just re-read the OP and he's got hydro brakes. I'd bet that would make it a lot easier to run one brake lever to two brakes AND maintain good braking power.
Yep, simply connect both caliper lines, and the lever line, to a T-Piece (such as this Magura one). Hey presto, one lever operates both calipers...

Likes For MikeyMK:
Old 07-24-19, 08:43 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Front brake only - not a good idea. Do a poll and ask how many long-time cyclists have gone over the front of a bike using just the front brake.
I never have in decades of cycling. Nor do I know of any. I suspect that if it does happen, it involves a novice cyclist who is not well practiced in braking. I have lifted the rear wheel occasionally while braking, but that was on my trike

@DenBoy. Welcome to bike forums. I've been riding for years with my front brakes actuated by my right hand. I had a couple of trauma incidents involving my left hand and don't have reliable grip strength for emergency braking. Although I have brakes front and rear, I typically use the front when just slowing. I am of course always ready clamp down on both brakes if I have to stop quickly.
Old 07-24-19, 08:47 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Why would there be two brake levers?
a) they come in pairs
b) aesthetics
c) balance
d) somewhere to put my hand
e) all of the above
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-24-19, 08:55 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
This works great until something happens that you don't expect like it did to me the other day and anyone's instant reaction is to just to slam on the brakes ....
I'll also vote with the minority on this, I would pick the rear, choosing control over stopping distance. I've gotten out of a lot more pickles with bike maneuvering than with braking power.
Likes For 55murray:
Old 07-24-19, 08:56 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
If you only have one brake, it really should be the front. The only bikes with rear-only brakes tend to be cruisers and other bikes with coaster brakes. These bikes don't go to fast, but when they do, and an emergency stop is necessary, you generally stop with an uncontrolled skid in twice the distance that you would with a front brake.

Also, there are some misunderstandings here as to how F and R brakes work.

Under maximum braking, a rear brake generally has zero effect - your body's momentum shifts all your weigh onto the front wheel when stopping fast. What keeps you from going over the handlebars is your position on the bike and your ability to modulate the front brake - if your rear wheel starts to lift you have to ease off the front brake lever a bit, or put your body weight lower and further back, or else you flip the bike, and your rear brake has no effect on this process.

There are definitely situations (loose and slippery surfaces, cornering) where the rear brake is a nice thing to have, but when an old man blindly backs his big Buick out of a bush in front of you, your rear brake is meaningless.

I believe that a cable splitter (one lever to two brakes) is a good solution. Depending on the experience of the cyclist and how confident they are that they can navigate the trickier situations, the balance of front-to-rear brake power can be adjusted... probably tighter rear brakes for a less experienced rider, but that's just my assumption.

Also, someone mentioned the OP had hydraulic brakes... a one-lever-into-two-brakes might be a simple thing to rig up if you have enough spare hydraulic adapters and tees, but switching to cable brakes might be easier.
Old 07-24-19, 09:16 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
One thought here - if a splitter is used, it would be best if the brakes could be set up so the rear effectiveness is reduced to near half the front. (Ideally, that difference could be fine tuned.) As many have said already, it is the front brake that does the hard stopping. Too much rear and control of the back of the bike becomes an issue on hard stops.

My city bikes are set up with Mafac Racers in front; powerful but mushy brakes. My rears are (I think) Weinmann centerpulls, Schwinn labeled, considerably less mushy but also a lot less effective as brakes. Since I run full length housing on the rear brake, the feel and lever pulls end up about the same , but a lot less happens when I apply the rear. End result? Really good stopping power in real life situations. Bikes stay very well behaved. (Those two bikes are some of my best stoppers ever on 35(?) year old centerpulls. A set of each, Mafac and Weinmann with the Mafac rear bolt swapped for a longer hardware store bolt and a likewise shorter bolt the the Weinmann front.)

Perhaps the OP could use a larger disked front brake to get the same effect. Possibly slightly less effective pads in back. (Not a disc-bike ride; just thinking out loud.)

Ben
Old 07-24-19, 09:35 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
... and an emergency stop is necessary, you generally stop with an uncontrolled skid in twice the distance that you would with a front brake.

+1 I'm an engineer type. I have several times sat down and calculated stopping distances. Simple physics. (No, I do not claim that you can stop in X feet from Y speed. I just calculate the relative distances it takes to stop using full possible braking using just the front, just the back and both. But both is a no-brainer. Exactly the same as front alone. As said above, in a really hard stop, the rear tire is barely touching the ground and completely useless for slowing.)

Every time I do those calcs using a typical rider on a typical bike, I get the same results. A ratio very close to 2:1. Front brake stopping the bike in half the distance of just a rear. (Rider height, center of gravity and the front-center distance of the bike vary the end result a little. Getting the front wheel further forward helps as does getting rider weight back and down.)

And an observation re: the rear wheel skid (popularized by the brakeless fixie crowd). Anyone here recall the competitions we had as kids to see who could skid the furthest? One rear-brake-only coaster bikes? We used to get 25-50 ' coming down not-so-long hills. (Something to consider long before you see those brakelights.)

Ben
Old 07-24-19, 01:46 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Even though the front brake is the more important one 95% of the time, if I had to choose one, it would be the rear. This is especially true for a mountain bike or anywhere loose conditions may be encountered.
Old 07-24-19, 02:13 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
a) they come in pairs
b) aesthetics
c) balance
d) somewhere to put my hand
e) all of the above
That extra lever sure would tempt me to add something electronic to it. Like a horn, lights, or ray gun.
Old 07-24-19, 02:19 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Even though the front brake is the more important one 95% of the time, if I had to choose one, it would be the rear. This is especially true for a mountain bike or anywhere loose conditions may be encountered.
My favorite use of a rear brake in loose conditions, with enough speed, was to skid the rear out for turning tightly or doing a complete 180. Steer with the rear as some might say.
Old 07-24-19, 03:00 PM
Cute Boy Horse

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
This works great until something happens that you don't expect like it did to me the other day and anyone's instant reaction is to just to slam on the brakes .... if I'd only had a front brake I probably would have been over the handle bars OR the front wheel going in underneath me as it was on a loose surface on a bend.

A decision like this needs to be considered in what happens in the worst case / panic situation to avoid an immediate crash not what happens when everything's nicely under control and you have plenty of time on your side to think and "do the right thing" as human nature dictates you react totally differently in the 2 scenarios.
It sounds like you don't know how to ride a bike properly and need to spend some time with an instructor. Especially since you haven't ridden in such a scenario you describe - or else you'd know a vice grip on the rear brake, while turning on loose surface, would also make the bike fall out from under you.

I remember when I learned to drive a car we were taught emergency stops. Which do you think is more difficult to make precise movements? A foot with a shoe on it? Or fingers, which evolution has gracefully given us? Are you typing by smashing your palms on the keys?

Last edited by Cute Boy Horse; 07-24-19 at 03:04 PM.
Likes For Cute Boy Horse:
Old 07-24-19, 03:06 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
That extra lever sure would tempt me to add something electronic to it. Like a horn, lights, or ray gun.
I've heard of some folks rigging up a bell. I'm sure it could be done but I'm not that clever.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-24-19, 03:07 PM
beach_cycle

Bikes: 2021 Electra Townie 7D equipped; 2019 Monterey 26" Seven Speed Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Front brake has 90% of the bikes stopping power (rule of thumb). I've rode bikes with one brake, and prefer the front brake. It can cause the bike to flip when pulled with force, so most of the time I just gently squeeze it. In emergencies I'll pull with force, and the rear end comes off the ground. I adjust the brake as best I can to stop quickly, but not flip. If you can do that, I'd recommend the front brake. Otherwise, the rear brake with extra caution.

One other note: coaster brake. Not sure what modification crazy meant. If giving up the freewheel is an option, a coaster brake (peddle backwards) will solve the problem.

Originally Posted by DenBoy
... I've been riding my Specialized hybrid (hydraulic discs) with just the (right hand) rear brake, but folks are suggesting that I re-plumb the bike to put the front wheel brake on the right hand lever. Good idea? ...
Old 07-24-19, 03:09 PM
Witterings

I can't believe the number of people suggesting just a front brake in ... first and foremost is safety ... if he goes that option, has to slam it on unexpectedly one day without the time to think and ends up flying over the handlebars or the wheel tucks in underneath himself and he ends up hospitalized with serious injury .... just make sure you leave your comments here so you be traced via your IP address and you can be sued for his medical care (and anybody else he may hit) thereafter for the poor advice you've given ... personally I think the comments are totally irresponsible as it's dangerous to even suggest it.

I'm sure this will create a few flustered responses .... I'm off on a 3 day cycle tour early in the morning so won't be checking in here in case anybody accuses me of throwing a grenade in the room and then disappearing as that's genuinely not the case bit I honestly think people need to think through the advice they're giving and the repercussions it may lead to.

I think 2 brakes or don't ride and just to save a bit of money to risk your own and other people's health is totally irresponsible.
Old 07-24-19, 03:26 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

I can't believe the number of people suggesting just a front brake in ... first and foremost is safety ... if he goes that option, has to slam it on unexpectedly one day without the time to think and ends up flying over the handlebars or the wheel tucks in underneath himself and he ends up hospitalized with serious injury .... just make sure you leave your comments here so you be traced via your IP address and you can be sued for his medical care (and anybody else he may hit) thereafter for the poor advice you've given ... personally I think the comments are totally irresponsible as it's dangerous to even suggest it.

I'm sure this will create a few flustered responses .... I'm off on a 3 day cycle tour early in the morning so won't be checking in here in case anybody accuses me of throwing a grenade in the room and then disappearing as that's genuinely not the case bit I honestly think people need to think through the advice they're giving and the repercussions it may lead to.

I think 2 brakes or don't ride and just to save a bit of money to risk your own and other people's health is totally irresponsible.
One could always practice panic stops while shifting weight rearwards and feeling brake pressure until it becomes second nature. Then when you have to slam the brakes, you're really not slamming the brakes you're just stopping as fast as possible.

Gotta respect the slick and wet, too. If you're on a wet steel plate when you need to brake hard, well now you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. Things do happen outside of one's control.

Besides that, grown men and women should be able to think for themselves and either listen to advice or ignore it. They can decide if what is suggested is beyond their ability or not. It's not like we are promoting the idea of jumping over cars with bicycles here.
Old 07-24-19, 03:39 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

A little dramatic?

So, if he sticks with just a rear brake and he can't make an emergency stop fast enough and ends up in the hospital, can he sue you (or me, since that is what I said I prefer)?

He was not asking if it is OK to use just one brake, he is asking WHICH ONE to use assuming he is already going that way. And did you miss the part where he can only use one lever?
Old 07-24-19, 03:43 PM
phughes

Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 722 Posts
This is where training come into play. It's not the brake's fault. I have been in emergency stop situations, and have not gone over the bars. Take time to practice, and even time to simply think about what you would do in an emergency situation that requires heavy braking. It will help prevent panicking.
Old 07-24-19, 03:44 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,364 Times in 1,382 Posts
The danger of flipping over the front while braking with the front brake is real. But it is also small. You can learn to control stops with the front brake. I only use my front brake except occasionally. When the surface is loose, then front skidding is possible and a larger danger. That's when I use my rear brake.

A rear brake does not give you more control than a front brake on dry, hard pavement.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 07-24-19, 03:45 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Yep, simply connect both caliper lines, and the lever line, to a T-Piece (such as this Magura one). Hey presto, one lever operates both calipers...

I don't get it. This would cut in half the amount of fluid being pushed down each brake line. You would only be getting half the pad movement at each caliper.

I would think you would need a lever that pushed twice the volume.
Old 07-24-19, 04:21 PM
Witterings

Originally Posted by FiftySix
One could always practice panic stops while shifting weight rearwards and feeling brake pressure until it becomes second nature. Then when you have to slam the brakes, you're really not slamming the brakes you're just stopping as fast as possible.
When I was much younger, we had 2 weeks of snow, I absolutely loved driving in it and got so used to it .... driving until I wanted to turn (a lot faster than all the other road users) and using the handbrake to turn in a controlled situation ... anybody watching and following me would have thought I was Finland's finest really driver and totally used to driving and controlling a car in those situations.
One day ... late for my own party, I knew the DJ was expecting to meet me at a certain time so was driving faster than I should in a panic to get there, went into a bend a bit too fast and in the snow and lost control ... my reaction .... instead of using the handbrake to control the turn (which 'd done for the previous 2 weeks) was to slam my foot on the brake and totally lost control of the car and was unable to steer it ... I was lucky I went up a bank and stopped 8" (literally) before the lamp post.

My best friend growing up, his grandfathers company provided artificial arms ... apart from war victims their biggest clients were motorcycle accidents and the most common problem, when they know they're approaching an accident, human instinct is to grab the brakes and cling onto them as hard as you can and the muscle memory doesn't let go.
This results in you holding on so hard, the bike hits the car .... or whatever it is you're braking to avoid ... and you get thrown over the top of the bike and your muscles don't let go and as you pivot over the top of the bike it literally rips your arms out of their sockets ... do you think they practiced slow braking????

My whole point is a our thought process totally absolutely goes to the wall in a survival situation which means you'll grab the front brake if that's the only one you have available and is asking to cause or at least worsen what the outcome would be with 2 brakes so to advise otherwise is irresponsible.

I'm sorry ... I'm really not having a go at anybody but I do think some of the advice is a bit under thought.

EDIT: This is the company I was referring to and my friend has been a director of the company for goodness knows how many years but started work there probably in around 1985 after finishing further education so I guess he knows a bit about what he was talking about https://www.steepergroup.com/orthotics/

Last edited by Witterings; 07-24-19 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-24-19, 05:01 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

When I was much younger, we had 2 weeks of snow, I absolutely loved driving in it and got so used to it .... driving until I wanted to turn (a lot faster than all the other road users) and using the handbrake to turn in a controlled situation ... anybody watching and following me would have thought I was Finland's finest really driver and totally used to driving and controlling a car in those situations.
One day ... late for my own party, I knew the DJ was expecting to meet me at a certain time so was driving faster than I should in a panic to get there, went into a bend a bit too fast and in the snow and lost control ... my reaction .... instead of using the handbrake to control the turn (which 'd done for the previous 2 weeks) was to slam my foot on the brake and totally lost control of the car and was unable to steer it ... I was lucky I went up a bank and stopped 8" (literally) before the lamp post.

My best friend growing up, his grandfathers company provided artificial arms ... apart from war victims their biggest clients were motorcycle accidents and the most common problem, when they know they're approaching an accident, human instinct is to grab the brakes and cling onto them as hard as you can and the muscle memory doesn't let go.
This results in you holding on so hard, the bike hits the car .... or whatever it is you're braking to avoid ... and you get thrown over the top of the bike and your muscles don't let go and as you pivot over the top of the bike it literally rips your arms out of their sockets ... do you think they practiced slow braking????

My whole point is a our thought process totally absolutely goes to the wall in a survival situation which means you'll grab the front brake if that's the only one you have available and is asking to cause or at least worsen what the outcome would be with 2 brakes so to advise otherwise is irresponsible.

I'm sorry ... I'm really not having a go at anybody but I do think some of the advice is a bit under thought.

EDIT: This is the company I was referring to and my friend has been a director of the company for goodness knows how many years but started work there probably in around 1985 after finishing further education so I guess he knows a bit about what he was talking about https://www.steepergroup.com/orthotics/
I'm not picking on you either, Witterings.

My experience is with bicycles (obviously), motorcycles, and automobiles. I've been on motorcycles and in cars with invisible ice on the road. About all one can do is pucker up and stay as stable as possible in those situations and see how you come out on the other side. And yes, I've spun out on the times I did not or could not keep my vehicle stable. Which is why I made my comment on wet steel plates like found on a road undergoing serious utility repairs.

A slick surface is a slick surface. Only experience and practice can train one on how to handle that. One of my instinctual reactions on two wheels is to get my legs extended to act as outriggers if the bike feels like it's about to slide. That has saved me more than a few times through my years. I will admit my reaction times are slowing as I age, though.

I can't speak to the needs of people with disabilities having to panic stop. I do know that with enough practice (call it training) that the instinct to squeeze the brakes as hard as possible can be changed.

Just a few months ago I had a panic stop on my Norco on good pavement. The front brake grabbed the rim hard and the rear wheel lifted just enough to cause the rear wheel to lock up. However, I was so used to panic stopping from a combination of my motorcycle days and bicycle days that my body shifted rearward and went low by instinct. My bike came to a hard stop and I didn't hit the car that pulled in front of me. Sure, that bike has two brakes, but the rear tire offered virtually no grip on the road. I do know that if I only had a rear brake that day I would have skidded into the side of that car.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.