Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

LBS charging more than MSRP for parts?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

LBS charging more than MSRP for parts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-20, 01:11 PM
BNSF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Universal Cycles appears to carry the SRAM SX Eagle Rear for $85 (available for pickup in their store in Portland).

However, the companies that have chosen to do both a LBS and an online store front are able to move much more bulk through than the smaller Mom & Pop LBS stores, potentially reducing their stocking prices and increasing inventory. As well as improving employee utilization.
Exactly. At $85, they might make just a couple bucks on each sale but they make up for it in volume. Given their druthers, they probably would rather price it higher, but when the "street price" over the internet is $85, well, they have to sells theirs at $85 too if they want to sell very many of them at all.

In every market, there is always at least one old-timey mom-and-pop store where everything is marked full retail (IE, "MSRP") and there are no discounts. In this case, $115. Not necessarily just bike shops; it could be auto parts, hardware stores, vacuum cleaners, toy trains, you name it. They cater to the crowd that still doesn't use that internet thingie. If you have to blow the dust off the items on the shelves to see what the price tag says, you'll probably find it is marked full price.
Old 05-13-20, 01:26 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by BNSF
In every market, there is always at least one old-timey mom-and-pop store where everything is marked full retail (IE, "MSRP") and there are no discounts. In this case, $115. Not necessarily just bike shops; it could be auto parts, hardware stores, vacuum cleaners, toy trains, you name it. They cater to the crowd that still doesn't use that internet thingie. If you have to blow the dust off the items on the shelves to see what the price tag says, you'll probably find it is marked full price.
Hmmpf...
Some of the "True Value" stores are great!!!!

We've got at least one micro chain auto parts store, as well as one true Mom & Pop auto parts store... dusty, but, unique place, but unfortunately closed due to COVID-19 (hopefully reopening soon).

In an environment with a lot of competition, both local, and online, stores and shops really have to take care to build a customer base rather than lose a customer base. And this includes multiple factors including price, quality, standing behind their products, etc.

I've started driving again, and started getting very annoyed with local support.

I realize that going online I have to put my faith in myself, but it is easy to lose faith in the local services.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 05-13-20, 03:05 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
It doesn't seem so long ago the shops were bemoaning the overseas vendors. Now that that ability to shop from the UK for sram/shimano has been pretty well shutdown, we're still hearing about how shops still can't compete with anyone that sells online even if they're in our own country?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-13-20, 03:25 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Buy it from Ben's and support my local guys.
Ben's packed my Mom's bike for shipping to me here on the East Coast. One of the last excursions out of the house I made with my late FIL was to Ben's. Cool place.

And yeah, they are a brick and mortar store so if they are selling a part for 85 bucks, I'd have to think that its a reasonable price for the LBS to meet.
Old 05-13-20, 03:57 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Do Ben's, Bike Tires Direct, Universal Cycles sell stuff in their stores for the online price?

We've got a good shop here that has at least an ebay presence with decent prices. They also have a big warehouse and will ship to a local store for free. I'm OK with that, but if they're shipping to the store, I'd expect an online price, but they charge MSRP. I'm happy to pay MSRP for in-stock stuff, but not if I have to wait longer than I do to get stuff from Amazon.

Then - for a non-sequitor - there's Home Depot's 'in stock' filter. 'In-stock' to those schmucks seems to mean anything they can get to a local store in 5 days....
Old 05-13-20, 08:36 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
I hope an administrator reads this thread.
I propose a new forum rule...If you're going to criticize an industry, a particular store, etc., you must first indicate what your vocation is. For example, "I'm a plumber and I charge $59.95 just to walk into your house", or "I'm a lawyer and charge $200.00 an hour for routine work." The list could go on indefinitely. BTW...I'm a professor at a small state university and my salary as I approach retirement is far from spectacular. Hikes in tuition result in no change in my salary or mounting responsibilities.

It'll never happen but one can dream. 🤞
The point is that we often accept inflated costs because they are necessary and beyond our ability or comfort level to try ourselves. For some reason, if a bike shop tries to make a profit, some people want them closed down. I love cycling, but I understand that it's a costly sport. There's an old saying that when you buy a boat, it's like a hole in the water you throw money into. For many of us, cycling is the same hole, but just a moving one on dry land.

Since I'm sure that the "war" on this topic isn't over, I propose an armistice to cease hostilities.
Likes For MAK:
Old 05-13-20, 08:55 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
Do Ben's, Bike Tires Direct, Universal Cycles sell stuff in their stores for the online price?..
I've never had an issue with any local store giving me their online price picking up in store. That includes Ben's, Bikesmith's, Wheel & Sprocket. REI
Old 05-14-20, 06:32 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Originally Posted by asgelle
They can comment on the price relative to other vendors, but until they understand a shop's wholesale cost, they shouldn't comment on the fairness of the price. Sure, say LBS is charging 20% more than mail order; just don't say the LBS is marking up 20% more unless you know what the shop had to pay for the item in the first place. It's hardly out of line for the LBS to have an equal or lower margin than mail order because of a higher price from the shop's distributor.
The consumer shouldn't, and doesn't care, about the shops wholesale cost. The consumers commenting is, and always will be, about the "fairness" of the price in relation to themselves. All they see, know, or care, is they are paying 20% more than they can get it from somewhere similar including other B&M. If that particular shop is paying 20% more on the wholesale level, then maybe THEY need to reevaluate THEIR supply chain, not the consumer. If they aren't big enough, savvy enough, whatever, to compete on the retail level with others, then they need to find a way to create added value to that sale like free installation, free pickup of the bike, whatever they can do to add enough value in the consumers mind to justify the higher price they are paying. Saying "Because we pay more from our wholesaler" doesn't carry a lot of weight with the consumer paying the bill, nor should it.
Old 05-14-20, 08:02 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Supply and demand, you had the demand. If not happy, find the cheapest price on the internet, wait for delivery, and fix it yourself. Your on this forum, so I assume you have another bike to ride in the meantime right?
Tim
Old 05-15-20, 03:15 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
I hope an administrator reads this thread.
I propose a new forum rule...If you're going to criticize an industry, a particular store, etc., you must first indicate what your vocation is. For example, "I'm a plumber and I charge $59.95 just to walk into your house", or "I'm a lawyer and charge $200.00 an hour for routine work." The list could go on indefinitely. BTW...I'm a professor at a small state university and my salary as I approach retirement is far from spectacular. Hikes in tuition result in no change in my salary or mounting responsibilities.

It'll never happen but one can dream. 🤞
Better yet a recent picture, birth location, IQ, education level and current age and address, all verified. Then you won't waste time on absolute morons, shills and trolls from other countries, young teens and so on.
Old 05-15-20, 04:03 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Rider_1
Why should LBSs be exempt from market forces?
Big Bicycle strikes again!

Reminds me of when I was reading on some fish forums. Anyone who wanted to buy just 1-2 african cichlids got a giant speil you had to buy 7,8 even 9 at once or they will all kill each other instantly and anyone disagreeing got ran out of town on a rail. Turns out that the posters pushing this nonsense were making a bundle selling off a baby fish for 15 bucks a pop in groups of a half dozen to a dozen what a coinkidink eh. 15 bucks is OK for a nice looking fish but paying that for half a dozen or more of several types really adds up, and they poop out babies at the speed of light once you have a breeding pair, anyway.
Old 05-15-20, 05:05 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Yes, but it was sarcasm, just to show how anyone can make the exploitation argument. However, his was bizarre. At least mine had something to hang your hat on, even if it is silly. That's why I included "How do you like them apples?"
If you really intended that as sarcasm, you need to work on your technique.
Old 05-15-20, 06:26 PM
Koyote

Good sarcasm is often misinterpreted.
That may be true....But I don’t see the relevance to your posts.
Old 05-15-20, 06:46 PM
Koyote

? I made a sarcastic comment and you missed it. Duh!
This is too funny. You’ve made my day.
Old 05-17-20, 04:37 AM
southpier

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 41 Posts
key word was "convenient".
Old 05-17-20, 04:41 AM
southpier

Originally Posted by MAK
The point is that we often accept inflated costs because they are necessary and beyond our ability or comfort level to try ourselves. For some reason, if a bike shop tries to make a profit, some people want them closed down. I love cycling, but I understand that it's a costly sport. There's an old saying that when you buy a boat, it's like a hole in the water you throw money into. For many of us, cycling is the same hole, but just a moving one on dry land.

Since I'm sure that the "war" on this topic isn't over, I propose an armistice to cease hostilities.
there's another saying about boats: the best days of boat ownership is the day you take delivery, and the day you sell it.
Old 05-18-20, 11:56 AM
Blu3Suede

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by southpier
there's another saying about boats: the best days of boat ownership is the day you take delivery, and the day you sell it.
Don't forget the other boat saying "sell it when you get the trailer lights to start working."

Last edited by Blu3Suede; 05-18-20 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-18-20, 12:09 PM
Blu3Suede

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my LBS. I gladly paid $15 for a pair of grips that have an MSRP of $6.50 and wholesale for $3.75. They had them, I needed them, they are 20 miles closer than the nearest shop and they need to keep the lights on.
Old 05-18-20, 12:44 PM
1joel1

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
The independent auto repair shops have been doing this for a long time. For a water hose, Nissan wanted $17 (generic was $6), they charged me $35. When I mentioned this, they claimed it was the only way to make a profit. I never went back.
Old 05-18-20, 01:12 PM
southpier

Originally Posted by 1joel1
The independent auto repair shops have been doing this for a long time. For a water hose, Nissan wanted $17 (generic was $6), they charged me $35. When I mentioned this, they claimed it was the only way to make a profit. I never went back.
I call that "grabbing with both hands". as you mentioned, once is enough. hope they spent the overage wisely.
Likes For southpier:
Old 05-18-20, 01:15 PM
southpier

Originally Posted by Blu3Suede
I love my LBS. I gladly paid $15 for a pair of grips that have an MSRP of $6.50 and wholesale for $3.75. They had them, I needed them, they are 20 miles closer than the nearest shop and they need to keep the lights on.
amazon, in my jammies @ 5:30 (am or pm!), with coffee. if amazon sold plywood & 2"x4"s, I would never go to the big box store or lumber yards, either. and A is not always the most moderately priced, but does offer the least amount of BS per consumer dollar I have ever encountered.
Old 05-18-20, 01:16 PM
southpier

Originally Posted by Blu3Suede
Don't forget the other boat saying "sell it when you the trailer lights to start working."
quoted for google translation
Likes For southpier:
Old 05-18-20, 02:02 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
Yeah, the bike shop is a major rip-off. They don't have to pay rent or a mortgage, they don't have to finance their inventory they don't have to pay employees. In fact, they should charge 1/2 of the internet price because you deserve it! You re so entitled! He should be begging you to have the privilege to work for you for free! No maybe, he should pay you to let him work on his bike!

Cheapness is very ugly. Especially against people that are a shoestring budget, that are working for the love of bicycles, and not the money. Learn how to wrench if you don't like it.
Yep. Cheapness is ugly, and even worse when one complains abt it. Since we all have freedom of choice, either decide to support the LBS or decide not to spend more money than necessary, buy it at the the lowest cost (on line or local) and do the work yourself. Easy decision....
Old 05-18-20, 02:36 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Originally Posted by stephr1
Yep. Cheapness is ugly, and even worse when one complains abt it. Since we all have freedom of choice, either decide to support the LBS or decide not to spend more money than necessary, buy it at the the lowest cost (on line or local) and do the work yourself. Easy decision....
Cheapness may be ugly to some, but some of us wear frugality as badge. Living below our means assures we'll retire comfortably at an age where we can enjoy it and don't really care if someone thinks we're "cheap". Don't get me wrong, I'll gladly pay the price if the value is there, but in the OP's case it didn't appear there was any added value for the added price.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-18-20, 03:12 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Cheapness may be ugly to some, but some of us wear frugality as badge. Living below our means assures we'll retire comfortably at an age where we can enjoy it and don't really care if someone thinks we're "cheap". Don't get me wrong, I'll gladly pay the price if the value is there, but in the OP's case it didn't appear there was any added value for the added price.
You make a good point abt frugality. Call it cheap, call it frugal, call it miserly, call it whatever one wants to. It's our money that we have earned and it's our right, privilege, freedom, etal. to spend it how we want to spend it...or not spend it at all....and no one should be judged for making that kind of choice.

Your comment abt value is spot on. I might qualify that comment with "One person's trash is another person's treasure." Value is how we each perceive and define it for one's self. And it is not always a tangible concept. In this case, someone might see that paying more than MSRP for a product *is* a value to him/her because it helps to keep the LBS open and accessible. Others may see it differently.

All a matter of perspective and priority.

Cheers.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.