Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I wear a hockey helmet. Laugh if you want :-)

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-20-20, 05:46 AM
preventec47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 28 Posts

If you have ever played hockey, and then looked at the bicycle helmets you would too. I even got a face-mask with the helmet but I never put it on.....yet
Old 10-20-20, 06:53 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Prolly does provide adequate protection but clearly lacks "style points" (unless you're Canadian or live in northern Minnesota .) One thing for sure, I'd never use a bike helmet while playing hockey!
Old 10-20-20, 06:58 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Those Horse Hockey players have some pretty nice helmets:

Old 10-20-20, 06:59 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,945 Times in 935 Posts
OP: So what does the hockey helmet offer protection wise that is better than say a MIPS bike helmet?
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 10-20-20, 06:59 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
gonna call it right now: this is a troll thread. not very funny or original.

my score: 2/10
Old 10-20-20, 07:03 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 717 Times in 347 Posts
Hockey helmets worn as race helmets were common back in the day.
Old 10-20-20, 07:30 AM
preventec47

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
OP: So what does the hockey helmet offer protection wise that is better than say a MIPS bike helmet?
I dont know what an MIPS is and initially I know it sounds funny but when I looked at bicycle helmets I felt they were nearly a joke considering I played
hockey for six years in my youth. As far as I can tell there is no "perceptible" difference in weight when wearing and there is increased coverage and when holding
a helmet or wearing one it is just obvious like comparing a K-Mart tool with a Snap-On tool one is the real deal tool and the other..;.. nearly a fashion statement decoration. IMOP

https://www.icewarehouse.com/CCM_50/...ge-CHT50C.html This is the model I wear in white color.

i did get the face shield with the helmet but I never installed it. My plan is to cut away about half the bars in the face shield and someday get around to attachment to the helmet.

Yes, I get lots of comments and snyde remarks on the trails but no one has ever doubted the practicality of the choice. If you really dont like to wear helmets and have talked yourself into wearing one for the safety, why screw around with a feeble ( to me) attempt at safety.
Old 10-20-20, 07:42 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 215 Posts
Interesting. The ventilation looks decent and I like that there are versions for different head shapes.
Old 10-20-20, 07:47 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,822 Posts
his guy has been posting a few threads today, all clearly designed to cause lengthy but empty debates.

Save it for winter, OP.
Old 10-20-20, 07:56 AM
preventec47

I think another way I see it is............ Hockey Players wear HELMETS. Most bicyclists wear what I consider to be HATS in comparison

Dont get me wrong, I am not on any kind of crusade, I just wanted to share what undoubtedly is a unique perspective. Maybe you understand
or you dont. Either way, if you have ever seen a skull cracked open, you will want to be sure and wear SOMETHING
Likes For preventec47:
Old 10-20-20, 07:58 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
football helmet here
Old 10-20-20, 08:04 AM
preventec47

Originally Posted by Maelochs
his guy has been posting a few threads today, all clearly designed to cause lengthy but empty debates.

Save it for winter, OP.
"Clearly" Maelochs ......... it is obvious your post was more informative, thought provoking, entertaining. and resource saving. My apologies and I will attempt to follow your lead henceforth.
Old 10-20-20, 08:07 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,873 Times in 1,643 Posts
If the hockey helmet is lined with expanded polystyrene or the equivalent single-impact protection (i.e. if it's meant to be replaced after a hit), you're fine. If not . . .
Old 10-20-20, 08:10 AM
preventec47

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
football helmet here
or ROMAN GLADIATOR HELMET ! nah seriously, just in case you were, football helmets are double maybe triple the weight .... like motorcycle helmets

I forgot to mention that a friend that I used to ride with bought an expensive CARBON hockey helmet ... to save some ounces.... They are available if you want em
Old 10-20-20, 08:21 AM
The Old Peddler

Bikes: Currently 4 Electra's : 3 Cruisers and a Townie. also 1 mutt bike

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 13 Posts
Wearing a hockey helmet while riding a bike would not seem funny to me. Though, I just might laugh if you tried wearing a hockey puck instead.

The Old Peddler
Old 10-20-20, 08:44 AM
mihlbach

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 66 Posts
Just because it looks like better protection doesn’t mean that it is.
Likes For mihlbach:
Old 10-20-20, 08:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by preventec47
"Clearly"...it is obvious
Redundant much? Think you played hockey without a helmet for too long.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-20-20, 08:51 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I've worn hockey helmets. Plenty. They're made to be worn when the environment is cold and fairly dry. The padding is closed cell with a vinyl/butyl type covering. It produces sweat, and it's unimaginable to me that it'd be comfortable at all. Also, the fit is typically tighter and not adjustable for any headwear underneath. So...

Wearing this type of helmet for bike riding is a dumb idea. Sorry, but true.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 10-20-20, 08:54 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I'll play. The nickname is "skid lid" because that's what your head is likely to be doing in the event of a bike crash. The motion vector isn't for a hit/stop collision. It presumes you're coming off and down. So, there is a "sliding" or "skid" to a bike crash. Football and hockey helmets are meant for blunt impacts.

So, I get the point......but things like MIPS and other design elements for bikes DO have some sort of logical application to the environment it is used in.

Notice MTB and downhill helmets also look different. No tarmac there. But trees. And less skidding and more blunt impact. So, helmet has a different design.

I'm not an expert, those are opinions.
Old 10-20-20, 08:55 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
During the month of October I ride on the sidewalk in a hockey mask and overalls while carrying a large butcher knife. Pedestrians get out of my way
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-20-20, 08:58 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,945 Times in 935 Posts
I was thinking of investing in a space helmet for my longer rides.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 10-20-20, 09:23 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,822 Posts
Okay .... you want "informative" ...

Hockey helmets are designed to deflect single impacts from a puck or stick--localized, one-time impacts. They are also meant to be reusable. This makes sense because impacts to the head ar fairly likely in a sport where every player carries a club and the puck is always flying around.

Bike helmets are designed to absorb a single shock and get tossed. They are designed to absorb an impact over a much larger region.

A strike from a puck or a stick is a very concentrated impact, so the shell of a hockey helmet has to be really hard. The padding has to be dense, because the issue is penetration, not broad force. A good hockey helmet weighs between 500-600 grams, based on a quick search.

Therefore the shell merely keeps the foam from tearing during transport---the shell doesn't absorb a lot of impact. The foam compresses to absorb the impact. Hit a bike helmet with a puck traveling 100 mph, and the helmet will do almost nothing. Hit the pavement at 20 mph and the helmet will keep you from losing your scalp and somewhat mitigate the impact. Because it is assumed that most riders don't crash and hit their heads on every other ride--or ever---the helmets are not designed to last through multiple impacts. A good cycling helmet weighs between 250-350 grams, perhaps--about half the weight.

The hockey helmet might seem safer because it is bulkier, but it is not designed for the same job, and might not offer any more safety at all. In fact, because its padding is more rigid, it might transmit more of the impact of a fall to the head of the user---less deformation equals less shock absorption.

If people Really wanted safety, they'd wear motorcycle helmets. No other helmet is designed for a high-speed hit with pavement. And further, cyclists could demand a modifies HANS (head and neck support) unit such as race drivers use--the cycling HANS would need to allow the rider to turn his/her head and lift/depress it slightly, while still preventing the neck from snapping backward or sideways when the head hit the ground.

But forget all that. The motorcycle helmet offers Much more protection for exactly the type of impact the bike rider can expect. of course, the helmet would weigh a ton, comparatively, and have minimal ventilation, which would make it hot --potentially dangerously, as heat stroke is a real thing--and very uncomfortable for a long ride.

Fact is ... regardless of what the perception of the uninformed might be----is that bike helmets are designed to do a specific job, and do it as well as can be expected, within the narrow parameters which apply. Hockey helmets do, too .... but the two lids are designed to do very different jobs. And one cannot do the job of the other as well.

So ... maybe someone Feels safer with a hockey helmet while cycling .... but what matters is what one feels after a high-speed crash where the head hits the ground.

Well, that's what matter to me. I frankly don't care what people wear on their heads while cycling. Knock yourselves out--literally. But as far as stuff like physics and physiology---some guy who played youth hockey and stayed in a Holiday Inn might Think he has all the answers .... but until actual comparative tests are conducted and posted, .... it is all in his head.

And likely I wouldn't laugh if I saw someone wearing a hockey helmet riding---I like a little individuality. I might laugh, when that person tried to "prove" that the hockey helmet was safer for cycling based on ..... well a fine imagination and a lack of data.
Old 10-20-20, 09:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I just put a few cotton balls inside the tinfoil. Seems to do the trick, but I haven't really hit anything yet.

Is OP going for the record on pointless thread topics?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-20-20, 11:51 AM
preventec47

Originally Posted by mack_turtle
I stretch a condom over my head. protects against pregnancy and STDs, which are much more dangerous than bicycle accidents.
OP is a troll or a moron. not sure which. natural selection will take care of errors like that in the long run.
Well I didnt intend for this to devolve into a name calling affair as my original statement was meant to be light hearted but true.

Lots of people dont see it the way I do and that is fine. I am on no crusade whatsoever. I did learn one thing which i appreciate from the
efforts at research and that is the hockey helmet is twice as heavy as a bike helmet. It may be but it is not perceptible to me when wearing.
I readily agree that there are lots of reasons for bikers here to NOT wear a hockey helmet as you need no reason at all.... BUT dont leave
this discussion thinking a hockey helmet is LESS protection IN ANY WAY. if you want to know the bottom line. There were some seemingly scientific
explanations which simply are not valid. The Hockey helmet and BMX helmets with hard shells lie somewhere between the disposable bike helmet
and the motorcycle/football helmet ( i knew of a high school years ago that put face masks on motorcycle helmets and used them.
I dont want to nor am I trying to be seen as an expert here.... I just thought I would share one of my "goofy" (if you want) choices.

Just for fun, pretend you are a helmet engineer and you take a bike helmet and you work to make it more protective. 1st you add structure. You add a hard shell
and you extend the coverage below the ears to the jaw and to the base of the skull. Thats it. It basically doubles the structure ( weight ) Add in adjustability
and vent holes and what have you got ? A Hockey Helmet. Now is anyone here going to assert that the bike helmet before enhancement was more protective ?

Again, I am not trying to be a winner in an argument but we ARE talking about SAFETY and nothing is more sacred.... so it s good that everyone have the best understanding.

Then WHY arent bicycle helmets made like hockey helmets ? Convenience/Comfort and Aesthetics. I agree folks would not wear them. except morons like me.

Like I originally said, Laugh if you want. But no need to get twisted.
Likes For preventec47:
Old 10-20-20, 11:52 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring, we'd make meat helmets... and wear them while riding our bicycles.
Likes For redcon1:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.