Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

On Hitch Mounted Bike Racks

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

On Hitch Mounted Bike Racks

Old 12-09-20, 07:15 PM
greysquirrel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by greysquirrel
4 bike hitch rack = guaranteed scratched bikes . I use a Thule Apex w/ 4 bikes. 4 bikes are so close together on the rack that the bikes hit each other: the bikes sway, the handlebars turn, some times the carrier the bike sits on slides toward other bikes. Also it's difficult to load 4 bikes trying to figure out where all the pedals should go where they don't hit the bikes. Sometimes, I'll load a bike and a pedal hits a frame.
Originally Posted by oldwinger14
This will not happen with a 1Up rack.The bikes are spaced and sinced they are held to the rack by the tires, there is no way the handlebars can move

Clarification: I have a 4 bike rack where you have to hang the bikes by the top tube. I'm sure a TRAY rack would be much easier and secure.
Likes For greysquirrel:
Old 12-10-20, 07:45 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
greysquirrel I have a 4-bike 1Up. I often carry four mountain bikes - with WIDE bars, pedals on, etc... The bikes don't touch. With the 1Up (not sure about others), you can move the bikes fore/aft - they are NOT stuck in one spot. So, if a bar is near a seat... scoot one bike forward or back, lock'em down and go. I routinely carry $20,000-25,000 worth of bikes on that rack without a worry at all.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 12-10-20, 08:11 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
Draftmaster. Very well made, and you can configure it anyway you want
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 12-10-20, 08:30 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by greysquirrel
Clarification: I have a 4 bike rack where you have to hang the bikes by the top tube. I'm sure a TRAY rack would be much easier and secure.
That is correct. Here is my 1UP USA with four fat bikes.

Likes For jadocs:
Old 12-10-20, 09:29 AM
Zaskar

^THAT^ should be on 1UpUSA's homepage!

I was looking for a pic I have (had) of four mtn bikes on my rack... it's not as impressive as that pic.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 12-10-20, 04:45 PM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Exactly how fragile are modern bikes such that a rack cannot touch the frame? I've used frame clamping bike car racks for 20 years with no crushed anything.
Old 12-10-20, 06:34 PM
Zaskar

Originally Posted by MKahrl
Exactly how fragile are modern bikes such that a rack cannot touch the frame? I've used frame clamping bike car racks for 20 years with no crushed anything.
You're clamping carbon tubes?
Old 12-10-20, 08:21 PM
Code54

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can the OneUp carry bikes that have fenders? I have one EMTB and two commuter Bikes I would haul but they both have fenders and was not sure how low on the tire I could go.
Thanks
Old 12-10-20, 08:47 PM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Can the OneUp carry bikes that have fenders? I have one EMTB and two commuter Bikes I would haul but they both have fenders and was not sure how low on the tire I could go.

Yes. There is foam tube (Fender Cushion 12.99) that goes on the traverse piece that contacts the tire, or in your case, the fender. But for many bikes with fenders the space between the bent arms is not enough to clear the fender stays. So you add little extenders that widen the space between the arms with a Fat Tire Spacer Kit $34.00. Things add up quickly on a 1 Up.