Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New Wheel Build Recommendations - Shimano 600

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-22, 07:12 PM
ericlowney 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 22 Posts

I picked up some Shimano 600 tricolor hubs and am researching what would be good options for rims and spokes to go with these? They are both 32 hole hubs, FH-6401 (7sp hyperglide 126mm) and HB-6400 (100mm). I picked up a HG70 cassette as well so I'd like to keep with the shiny/silver theme. I'll probably put at minimum 28c tires on and maybe more (32-35) if my frame can fit them. This will be the first set of wheels I've built so hoping to build a good set that will last me a LONG time. I've been looking at the Velo Enterprise rims, but not sure if there are better options out there. TYIA.

Likes For ericlowney:
Old 08-30-22, 09:54 PM
gulencocuk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
No idea about the spokes but for rims depending on the frame origin, I would either go with an Ambrosio Super Elite / Montréal or an Araya from 90s
Likes For gulencocuk:
Old 08-30-22, 10:32 PM
Piff 

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
According to modern opinions, you'd be better off with an internal rim width closer to 18-19mm if you're planning on running tires that are 32-35mm wide, and the Velo Orange Enterprise rim are 16.3mm. The TB14 by H+Son is a classic choice, and is slightly wider at 17.5mm. They're a great choice, look C&V. They're a touch heavy at nearly 500g. Sun CR18 rims are another solid choice. Cheaper, not as nice looking, and a touch heavier. And, as the name suggests, 18mm internal width.
Likes For Piff:
Old 08-31-22, 01:25 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Two sets of 600 tri-color hubs on my bikes, one with tb14 rims just mentioned, the other with Pacenti Brevet. Both are lovely rims. If I had to pick, I’d probably choose the Brevets as my favorite rims, but tb14’s might be a tiny bit stronger with ferrules that load both rim surfaces (hence the greater weight). I use DT Competition spokes on rear DS, DT Revolutions everywhere else. 8/9/10-speed freehub bodies on both rears.
Likes For Dfrost:
Old 08-31-22, 06:30 AM
ericlowney 

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost
Two sets of 600 tri-color hubs on my bikes, one with tb14 rims just mentioned, the other with Pacenti Brevet. Both are lovely rims. If I had to pick, I’d probably choose the Brevets as my favorite rims, but tb14’s might be a tiny bit stronger with ferrules that load both rim surfaces (hence the greater weight). I use DT Competition spokes on rear DS, DT Revolutions everywhere else. 8/9/10-speed freehub bodies on both rears.
I was leaning towards the TB14 rims until I just looked up the Pacenti Brevets.... lighter weight and tubeless compatible have me leaning that direction. I'm not sure I will actually go tubeless at first, but nice to have that option later. Thanks!
Old 08-31-22, 12:12 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,403 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mavic A319’s, currently on eBay for under $70 a pair delivered to your door. IMHO best wide-ish 32 hole rim deal out there right now.
Little heavy, but double eyeletted, super strong, wide enough to run 38’s.
Built up a set for my Davidson over the winter and they’ve done well at Eroica as well as on a bunch of gravel rides.

If you intend to go no bigger than 28-32’s, then Mavic Open Elites. Lighter, narrower but will happily run up to 32’s without a whimper. Also inexpensive right now, maybe $80 a pair shipped.
Like an Open Pro but single eyeletted. Used these with Tricolor before, excellent wheelset.

Last set of Tricolors built about a year ago for the Bob Jackson, used Kinlin XR240’s. Semi-aero but not unsightly on a vintage ride.
Have another set of Kinlin rims on White Industries Hubs that have over 10,000 miles on them, have never needed truing.
Bought mine in eBay from a guy in CA, also just picked up a pair of XR300’s (just slightly more aero) in 36 (!) hole for under a hundred bucks shipped to mate up with some DA7700 hubs.
Old 08-31-22, 12:19 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
According to modern opinions, you'd be better off with an internal rim width closer to 18-19mm if you're planning on running tires that are 32-35mm wide, and the Velo Orange Enterprise rim are 16.3mm. The TB14 by H+Son is a classic choice, and is slightly wider at 17.5mm. They're a great choice, look C&V. They're a touch heavy at nearly 500g. Sun CR18 rims are another solid choice. Cheaper, not as nice looking, and a touch heavier. And, as the name suggests, 18mm internal width.
A wider rim is better for aero, but if you are not too concerned with aero, there is no problem with traditional 13-14mm internal width rims, even with 32mm tires.