Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Spread saddle rails?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Spread saddle rails?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-23, 11:35 AM
gravelinmygears 

Bikes: 64 Cinelli, 81 Merz, Haral

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 69 Posts
Spread saddle rails?

I bought a bike from eBay and I’m assembling it. The saddle rails are too narrow for the seatpost. But the seller has photos of this saddle on this seatpost. Very close and specific photos.

Have you ever had to spread rails on a seatpost?​​​​​​

Old 01-20-23, 11:52 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 514 Posts
I have had saddles that did not quite align with the grooves in the clamp, but that one looks extreme. Usually, I just slowly tighten the clamp and the rails will deflect enough to go into the grooves. I never tried to cold set the rails to stay aligned.
Old 01-20-23, 11:54 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3809 Post(s)
Liked 6,684 Times in 2,609 Posts
Yup, I've had to do that more than once with a leather sprung saddle and a two-bolt seatpost. It didn't lead to saddle fail (at least immediately!).
Likes For nlerner:
Old 01-20-23, 12:17 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I have also had to spread the rails and looked very similar to yours. I thought it would never fit.

But through some twisting and stretching I finally got the seat in there.

I tried a few different ways.

1. Bolt one side and pull the rail towards yourself ( MAKE SURE THE STEEL IS VERY WARM BEFORE DOING THIS)

2. I centered the saddle and pushed down in an attempt to make it fit.

3. Sometimes I have taken out the post and tried. But the leverage you get with the post in the bike has worked best for me.

There is trial and error in doing this.

Of course I have thought of getting a spreader and placing in the saddle to see if that would work. I haven't purchased one yet as I have been successful in getting the saddle to fit.

But you must have time AND patience

Good Luck. Hope all these suggestions help
Likes For bikemike73:
Old 01-20-23, 01:20 PM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 219 Posts
Welcome to the club... I have the same problem with my Idéale 80: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...le-clamps.html

It's designed for the old style clamp and "candle" post so instead of forcing it into a modern post, that's what I'm using.
Old 01-20-23, 03:06 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2745 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/DASBET-Instal...38570070&psc=1
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-20-23, 05:31 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Unfortunately, I have the same problem with a beautiful Brooks Pro saddle in my stash. I tried to spread the rails apart (Only about a rail's width apart.), but I found it very difficult to do so. I think need to eventually find a real tool that can grip the rails and spread them. I tried doing it with the tools I have, like C clamps by mcguyvering the tool to work backwards. I got to spread the rails a bit, workind the clamp to its limits, bit the rails just sprang back to their too narrow positions after I release them. I"m really surprised how resistant the Brooks saddle rails are to spreading. Maybe a set of ratcheting straps pulling in opposite directions might work? Just hope I don't end up destroying the saddle.​​​​​​​

Last edited by Chombi1; 01-20-23 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-21-23, 02:17 PM
Claude.fr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Unfortunately, I have the same problem with a beautiful Brooks Pro saddle in my stash. I tried to spread the rails apart (Only about a rail's width apart.), but I found it very difficult to do so. I think need to eventually find a real tool that can grip the rails and spread them. I tried doing it with the tools I have, like C clamps by mcguyvering the tool to work backwards. I got to spread the rails a bit, workind the clamp to its limits, bit the rails just sprang back to their too narrow positions after I release them. I"m really surprised how resistant the Brooks saddle rails are to spreading. Maybe a set of ratcheting straps pulling in opposite directions might work? Just hope I don't end up destroying the saddle.
You can align or realign in a very precise way a lot of things with come-along straps.
You must be careful to distribute the load, the traction, over the maximum possible length of the rails, in particular if the strap is rather narrow.
A half sleeve cut in a length of steel pipe, or a 2 loops of strap of equal length forming a Y for each rail.

——— rail
Y Loop
0 Shackle
|
|
|
Ratchet.
Ditto for the other rail.

Everything must be symmetrical, loop
over rail facing each other.
Anchor points at the same height, saddle centered between anchor point so that you pull at the same angle on both rails.
I’d have my anchor points lower (10/15 inches) than the saddle in a upside down position.

Last edited by Claude.fr; 01-21-23 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-21-23, 02:52 PM
Jantaras

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
I recently did it to a Brooks saddle. I used a block of wood and a crowbar, it took 2 mins, rails were quite soft.