Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-27-22, 10:27 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 41 Posts

I Set off for a random ride today. I decided I may opt for a longer ride and keep going out.
So, I grabbed an empty plastic soda bottle and filled it with electrolyte water.
I then thought how people waste $40 on a water bottle. Not just bikers, but in general.

Last edited by CheGiantForLife; 08-27-22 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-27-22, 10:46 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
It always goes so well here in threads about money and what things cost. 👍

Otto
Old 08-27-22, 10:58 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Some people get into a mode where they need the newest thing and that's pretty wasteful. MSRP turning into used wholesale value walking out the door of the shop...

Some nice components are a lot longer lasting but the price up front is high and you really need to use them up to realize that as savings. And if you are buying the latest thing all the time you won't ever.

There's definitely a price level in mountain biking where everything works a lot better, and then from there you can spend at least twice that and not get a lot better bike. Some of the components might be better spending than others, but when you get a complete bike everything is upgraded and some of it might not be so needful.

I replaced my hardtail MTB when it got to a point most major components on a similar level bike would not fit up to it. That took about sixteen years. I think that span would be a lot shorter on a suspension bike. And the new bike was a lot better! Things changed in the interim.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 08-27-22, 11:01 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
I grabbed an empty plastic soda bottle and filled it with electrolyte water.
I then thought how people waste $40 on a water bottle.
It's their money not yours, they can spend as much as they want.
Old 08-27-22, 11:02 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26245 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
CHEAP $300 GIANT FOR LIFE. .
...is this a trick question ?
Old 08-27-22, 11:07 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Half the water bottles I have were free at various events I have done. They stay in the holder much more securely than soda bottles. Most I have ever paid for one was about $10
Old 08-27-22, 01:13 PM
kwb377 
Definitely an amateur...

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Stumpy FSR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 32 Posts
Because a bottle with a screw-on lid and unregulated flow is exactly what I want to try and drink from while riding...
Old 08-27-22, 02:03 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
N = -1
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-27-22, 02:09 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
Roadmaster bikes from WalMart.
Old 08-27-22, 02:18 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
Sometimes you just want a certain kind of thing, and you have enough money for it, and it makes you happy, so that’s not really a waste. If we talk about how things look on paper, in terms of cost to performance/utility/convenience value, there are lots of examples of “waste.”

Near the top of the list might be carbon fiber water bottle cages. They are only a few grams lighter and maybe slightly tougher than ordinary plastic or metal ones, at several times the cost. Full disclosure: I own a few Campagnolo carbon cages. I think they cost me around $120 on clearance, for two cages and two bottles. I don’t regret the purchase. They’re a very cool accessory; they just don’t stand up to financial scrutiny.

At a bike shop today I saw an Enve bike seat priced at $400. It is very light and sleek. Is it twice as good as a $200 seat? Almost certainly not. But it’s way cool. If you have enough money that you can buy stuff like this and not go without food and shelter… why not indulge?
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-27-22, 02:18 PM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by kwb377
Because a bottle with a screw-on lid and unregulated flow is exactly what I want to try and drink from while riding...
Drinking and riding seems dangerous
Likes For CheGiantForLife:
Old 08-27-22, 02:23 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Roadmaster bikes from WalMart.
I’ll second that. GMC Denali bikes and Kent whatevers are the same category. A $200 bike that will not work well even when new, and will not last through three seasons of serious riding. That’s a waste. Spend like $500 or so, and you can get something really decent that will serve you for many years.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-27-22, 02:26 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Lol at using a water bottle. I tow a hose behind me. Free.
Old 08-27-22, 02:27 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Larry does it all the time.

I think lighting up at 4:20 is dangerous in a Cat 6 race
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-27-22, 02:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
My Camelback Podium Ice Bottles are now $30 but I had my first one (which I still own and use to this day and got for much less) for 10 years so at todays cost that is $3 a year for a bottle that I am still using and still gives me water that tastes like water with minimal maintenance and really excellent insulating properties. I would say that is pretty darn good. I know Cheapo is a troll but seriously folks a bottle that lasts a long time and will still keep going for many years to come is a good deal in my book.

The biggest waste of money is the bandwidth to hold threads like this.
Old 08-27-22, 02:47 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Its gotta be the garmin varia. How do people go through life worrying about a car hitting them from behind
Old 08-27-22, 02:53 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Buying a bike to ride and not riding it or giving/selling it to someone who will ride it.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 08-27-22, 03:22 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,152 Times in 587 Posts
Paying for a 'premium' (or whatever it's called) membership on teh Biek Formz and being subjected to stupid threads like this one.

Fortunately, I've yet to do that.
Likes For badger1:
Old 08-27-22, 03:32 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts
$40 water bottles? Where do you get this stuff? The average price on the REI site for basic bottles are $6 to $18.

How about a little research before making wild claims or touting how cost effective you are?

A $6 bottle is not being foolish with money. Besides, are you secure in your knowledge that your single use bottle doesn’t contain BPAs? I know mine don’t. Cancer costs a whole lot more in the long than touting how cost effective you are and implying everyone else are saps.

PS: buying a water bottle is NOT A BIG waste of money. Not even close.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-27-22, 03:39 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
Internet.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-27-22, 03:40 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 953 Posts
I
….So, I grabbed an empty plastic soda bottle…
Bottled soda. Now there is a waste of money.
Old 08-27-22, 03:53 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Not on a trike. Oh and I am bracing myself for hate mail.
Old 08-27-22, 03:57 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
In most anything you buy, buy the mid-level product. Who really needs a $16,000 bike, to just ride on the MUPS around town.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 08-27-22, 04:46 PM
kommisar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 32 Posts
Pneumatic tires, pumps and patch kits, chain drives, shifters, cassettes and chainrings, brakes and brake pads.
Old 08-27-22, 04:54 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
Hey, why worry about what someone else spends on whatever.

They derive some sort of satisfaction or pleasure from purchasing said goods.

As you know, there are some folks that have incredible income and wealth that what may seem outrageous to ordinary folks that travel using commercial airlines(whether coach-business class or first class) and drive their own cars, rather than having a chaufeur, and a pilot to fly them wherever they wish, in anything from a humble King Air to a super-fly Gulfstream G-5. So yeah, if you're very successful in what you do, and on top of that, just more than a little bit lucky, you to could be in that very small fraternity of the beyond incredibly affluent, somebody fitting that example would be Dick Grasso. You say who? ...not related to the Kardashians, or an NBA star, or a famous rapper, country music star, or a rock star's name, or anybody from Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, Tesla that you know of..
Apologies to Dick, as his name is just one that popped into my head for just a random example. There are hundreds and hundreds of other fine folks that have significant means like Mr. Grasso. Hey, they all aren't superstar famous like Kim K., LeBron, Tom Brady, John Travolta, George Clooney, Jay Leno, Garth Brooks, or Keith Richards.

Look at it this way that they are providing at least some tiny part of keeping the economy stimulated.

You can't take it with you.
Now having said that, my wife and I enjoy nice vacations, but we keep it realistic, so I think that renting Jagger's little place on Turks and Caicos, for $57,000 (us dollars) per night is out of the question for us. Hell, we look for airfare deals and book ahead accordingly at places like Holiday Inns, so there is no way in the world that we would be that extravagant.* (*) Now theoretically, if we were in that financial league, who the hell knows, as if its a drop in the bucket..........you can say all say that yeah, we wouldn't even if............but reality might be different, ....anyway it isn't something that I will ever need to ponder.

Don't worry about what or how much some of your pals spend money on.~ ... (~) Unless of course, you are the bankruptcy attorney and your pal is the client declaring bankruptcy,
Be happy for your pals that are prospering economically.
Remember though, that all the money in the world cannot buy good health. It certainly can help attain the best treatment and doctors available, but that is it.
All the money in the world cannot guarantee health or happiness.
Why waste time and energy worrying about what others waste their own money on. I'll bet that you have never gone down to any local city council/county commission meetings to voice your input on just how your city council/county commission is wasting your tax dollars. Oh hell no, everybody notices that Sally G. ....Robert's wife two houses down the street, got a new Blue RANGE ROVER or Mercedes, yet she teaches 3rd grade and Robert is a self employed CPA, and they have four kids aged 9 to age 17, .. (Neighbor TERESA says".oh you know Molly, I just don't know how they can afford that" (Neighbor MOLLY replies to Teresa: " oh yeah Terri, must be something we don't know about, as Janet tells me that Sally spends $95 every two weeks getting her hair done, and she tells me Sally must spend $2000 a month on clothes, not to mention her $375 shoes that she has so many pairs of.) The girls in neighborhood aren't necessarily the worst at doing this as you know the guys do it as bad or worse, just not as non-stop often. Hey, I am not pointing any fingers. My hearing is still at least minimally good enough to hear this type of gossip around here, and my guess is that no matter where you live, you have something similar if not so mindless and brainless chattering from spoiled folks with too much time on their hands, and a need to vet and/or judge and "approve of" what is happening. It is silly. I see that it fosters from the wine consumption sessions that the girls on the street have. I have used the term, girls, even though everybody is somewhere between 37 years old and 85 years old. Maybe stupidity like this is more prevalent with affluent Southerners who have never lived anywhere else. You see far less of this in areas like Hilton Head and Isle of Palms, where better educated, better raised, folks from elsewhere in the US have changed the landscape there for the better over the past 50 + years.

In a nutshell, don't worry too much about what all the other little nuts are doing. (yeah, if it concerns how your taxpayer dollars are squandered and pissed away, then you have a reason to voice your opinion at city council/county commission meetings, but nobody seems to care about that..............they only seem to get concerned about silly as hell things.) I'm just a dumbass, and certainly not one of the brightest bulbs on the christmas tree, but that is how my pea sized brain sees it.
Likes For Vintage Schwinn:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.