Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New Bike Garage pictures. I'm moving my shop

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-06-21, 09:02 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 261 Posts

Hey guys,
I know some of you seen my basement but I'm moving my stuff to a new garage. Here are a couple of pics of it. It's a work in progress. Tool bench and work area coming soon. Any suggestions please let me know.
If you have to ignore the car! lol. I moved a ton more bikes there today. I'll update with more pics as I build the shop. Much to the dismay of a few of you I'll also do a video.

BTW. I changed the name of my channel on YouTube to Johns Vintage Road Bike Garage.

God Bless

John.

Old 05-06-21, 09:18 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
You have a kitchen in your garage?
Old 05-06-21, 09:25 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by krakhaus
You have a kitchen in your garage?
Not your average Garage. It's a separate property that houses some toys as well as my company office. Check out the vid if you'd like.
Old 05-06-21, 09:52 PM
Celloplus 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
Sick. There is a place near my house called the M1 track and it has “condo” garages like this where gearheads store their racers or whatever and hang out. It’s pretty cool place to watch gt3’s run around the track and to see everyone’s tricked out garage like yours. They all have a loft and bathroom like yours. Super cool space!
Likes For Celloplus:
Old 05-06-21, 10:06 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by Celloplus
Sick. There is a place near my house called the M1 track and it has “condo” garages like this where gearheads store their racers or whatever and hang out. It’s pretty cool place to watch gt3’s run around the track and to see everyone’s tricked out garage like yours. They all have a loft and bathroom like yours. Super cool space!
I hear ya. This is actually called Irongate Motor Condos...very similar however there isn't a track. I have that one nice car. Other than that I'm just into Vintage bicycles.

JJ
Old 05-06-21, 10:55 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
I give up.

Tomorrow I'm pouring a gallon of kerosene around the Atelier and lighting a match...
Old 05-06-21, 11:30 PM
The Thin Man 

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 114 Posts
Is a bike in front of your electrical panel?
Old 05-07-21, 12:25 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
This is gonna sound nuts but pre-pandemic when I was single, I lived in a humongous three bedroom loft that was similarly “decorated” with bikes. I lived out of the three bedrooms like a mini-apartment and the much larger loft space with the kitchen had something like fifteen or twenty bikes in there at any given time. Had a pretty decent workshop in there too.
Now I’m married and out in the ‘burbs, all of my bikes are shoved up in the basement in a haphazard mess lol.
Sweet, sweet set-up you got there!
Likes For Rage:
Old 05-07-21, 04:27 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
I'm sure your an old hand at this, but I have found that the rubber on those bike hooks is not very durable. With your bikes this wouldn't be the thing to discover, along with a paint scuff on the bottom of the top tube. I my garage a couple wraps of duct tape suffice, but I'm not producing adult entertainment............
Old 05-07-21, 11:25 AM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,778 Times in 1,405 Posts
Getting there ...

Nice!
Likes For iab:
Old 05-07-21, 12:25 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,532 Posts
Nice TT. (me A4 with 6 speed)

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 05-07-21, 01:06 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by bark_eater
I'm sure your an old hand at this, but I have found that the rubber on those bike hooks is not very durable. With your bikes this wouldn't be the thing to discover, along with a paint scuff on the bottom of the top tube. I my garage a couple wraps of duct tape suffice, but I'm not producing adult entertainment............
Thanks for the heads up. These won't be taken on and off the racks very often. And when the hours very gentle. I wondered if whether or not the rubber that is on these hooks will stain the paint? Any experience with that?

JJ
Old 05-07-21, 01:09 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by gugie
I give up.

Tomorrow I'm pouring a gallon of kerosene around the Atelier and lighting a match...
Around yours or mine?

JJ
Old 05-07-21, 02:01 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by jjhabbs
Around yours or mine?

JJ
Old 05-07-21, 05:17 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
The kitchen in your garage is almost as big as the one in my house. (Corridor/Pullman-style 4x10 floor area with countertops an appliances lining both sides.)

Since I keep my cars for a long time, I am not willing to park them out in the elements, so I maximize use of the walls and rafters of the garage for bicycle storage. I also have a big plastic weatherproof bike parts bin (lottery freebie from Home Depot!) right outside the back door of the garage. I envy you guys with tons of space.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 05-07-21, 07:04 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Thanks for the heads up. These won't be taken on and off the racks very often. And when the hours very gentle. I wondered if whether or not the rubber that is on these hooks will stain the paint? Any experience with that?

JJ
I've got big box ceiling hooks, which I assume have the same rubber coating as yours. The hooks coating from the regular use bikes wore through pretty fast. I didn't notice untill there was obvious scuffs on my rims. I am using the soft clear plastic water hose to pad the nails that I store bikes in the rafters on. I assume that any thing used for drinking water would be chemically inert and safe for contacting paint.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 05-08-21, 04:20 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,916 Times in 1,488 Posts
Not your average Garage. It's a separate property that houses some toys as well as my company office. Check out the vid if you'd like.
Building the Ultimate Bicycle Mancave Garage! Shown in only 3.5 minutes. - YouTube

sort of a home away from home? It looks like a fabulous space

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-08-21, 09:21 AM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by gugie
I've never had anyone tell me that. Some joke about it. I was once called a hoarder and I should be giving the bikes to the poor for transportation. I heard it all over time.

JJ
Old 05-08-21, 09:22 AM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
sort of a home away from home? It looks like a fabulous space
Irongate motor condos is a place for car collectors however there are a couple of us bicycle people there and other things. Lots of social events etc there. I house my company office as well as family gatherings etc there as well. It's a new space so I'm sure it will evolve. Im looking for good routes for a C&V ride around there and I'd like to host a ride or two from there. Mini bike show and ride etc...

J.J.
Old 05-08-21, 10:22 AM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
Absolutely spectacular! I was going to ask whether you had any neighbors shaking their heads, not understanding all that space devoted to mostly just push-bikes. Nice to know there are other bicycle folks there representing.

I almost had a 1st-gen Audi TT. Made the mistake of going shopping with the fam, including the 7yr-old and 3yr-old, and they complained bitterly about how tight the rear space was, and how the leather smelled bad, and how hot the leather was on their summer-shorted legs. They wouldn't have it, so I didn't get it.

When they got close to driving age, I never stopped reminding them that I would've never given up the TT, and it would've become their car, and how they ruined it not only for me, but for themselves as well. Now that they're 24-28, well, yeah, I still give them a hard time about it. Hmm, come to think of it, older son & wife got themselves and Audi recently, and I haven't given him the business since he got it. Gotta remember to remind him today...
Old 05-08-21, 12:24 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,564 Times in 1,214 Posts
I've never had anyone tell me that. Some joke about it. I was once called a hoarder and I should be giving the bikes to the poor for transportation. I heard it all over time.

JJ
Sounds like my line, as I stand there in tattered jeans...
Old 05-08-21, 12:42 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,844 Times in 6,062 Posts

JJ
I can see it now - Chicago's homeless, riding around on pristine Paramounts and Schwinn lightweights.....

Nah, dude. You're doing the right thing. Just take the old girls out for a spin every so often. They get lonely hanging on the hooks.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-08-21, 12:47 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,126 Times in 426 Posts
I use to be happy with my 16’x14’ shop, but now I hate it.
Old 05-08-21, 12:57 PM
bark_eater 

After haveing briefly had a 10000 sqft aircraft hanger as a workshop, some times I burrow into my jam packed 2 car garage and have a good cry....
Old 05-08-21, 01:10 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,844 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
After haveing briefly had a 10000 sqft aircraft hanger as a workshop, some times I burrow into my jam packed 2 car garage and have a good cry....
I have a corner of the garage, which I have to constantly police for incursions. But I'm plotting to get rid of that printer.....

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.