Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Dynamic Wiring Idea Needed

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 11-03-22, 06:10 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts

This winter I will be repainting my wife's touring bike. The wire management from the hub to the light has been "electrical tape along the fork blade " . So looking for an idea or 2.Not sure I want to drill the blade.
Likes For Tandem Tom:
Old 11-05-22, 04:01 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 212 Posts
Zip ties? Don't drill anything but I guess you could braze on some custom braze-ons if you're repainting it anyway.
Old 11-05-22, 05:18 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
I made a fork with curlicues made from spokes. I didn't really like that setup.
If you are going to drill, do it in front of the neutral axis of the blade. Or go between the dropout and the blade.
Old 11-05-22, 07:54 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
On a fork that I built I drilled for the wiring but brazed a stainless washer to reinforce the hole. Been fine for a couple of years.
Old 11-06-22, 07:55 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I've always just used small zip ties. The low profile ones look pretty clean.
Old 11-06-22, 06:03 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Shimano makes a Di2 external wiring kit. The Di2 wires are round and quite small. I'm not sure if this would fit your lighting wires.
https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-Di...over-Set-Black

People use sturdy "helicopter tape" for paint scuff protection. It's used on cars to protect fancy paint jobs, too. I assume it lasts a long time without peeling.
You could cut long, narrow strips and mold it over the wiring, I think. (I've never used it myself.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odURZ1aIai8#t=5m45s
the video shows soapy water (!) and a hair dryer to fit the tape without bubbles.
Old 11-06-22, 06:11 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Spot ties hand knotted on the Mars Rover!
On the decks of NASA's Curiosity rover, some of the most advanced pieces of equipment ever developed are being held together by some of the oldest forms of human technology: cleverly looped ropes. Apparently, when you're sending a robot millions of miles out of reach, time-tested tying methods win out over newfangled epoxies or ratchet zip ties.
Old 11-07-22, 07:33 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I'm surprised they didn't use waxed cord for the mars rover. Maybe wax is not a good thing in space?

I'll have to try the soapy water and hair dryer technique. I use gorilla repair tape, which looks good for a while, but then it suffers from water intrusion and looks like crap.

Last edited by unterhausen; 11-07-22 at 07:55 AM.
Old 11-07-22, 09:38 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Originally Posted by rm -rf
Spot ties hand knotted on the Mars Rover!
"The images have revealed some intricate knot work"
Hardly 'intricate' knotwork for those who have mastered many decorative and functional nautical knots, but still an impressive application of proven technology. I suspect they used a thin braided dacron cord. The clove hitch distributes the pressure and the square not secures it. A constrictor knot is similar to a clove hitch but can be drawn incredibly tight (and is very, very difficult to release). It might be suitable for the OP's purpose as it is rather compact.
Old 11-07-22, 11:45 AM
cuevélo

Bikes: '20 Scott Addict RC 30, '13 Trek Soho Deluxe, '91 Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune, Mid '70s Cuevas

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I'm surprised they didn't use waxed cord for the mars rover. Maybe wax is not a good thing in space?

I'll have to try the soapy water and hair dryer technique. I use gorilla repair tape, which looks good for a while, but then it suffers from water intrusion and looks like crap.
NASA-STD-8739.4 [19.6.2.d.2] Waxed lacing shall not be used for spaceflight applications.
Likes For cuevélo:
Old 11-07-22, 12:17 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Hardly 'intricate' knotwork for those who have mastered many decorative and functional nautical knots, but still an impressive application of proven technology.
Yeah, I had a tek scope from the '60s where the person that knotted the bundles of wires together was much better than that. But they got to use waxed cord.
I imagine it's a bit of a lost art though. I'm trying to remember if I have seen it since, like internal to an avionics box
Old 11-07-22, 04:06 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Yeah, I had a tek scope from the '60s where the person that knotted the bundles of wires together was much better than that. But they got to use waxed cord.
I imagine it's a bit of a lost art though. I'm trying to remember if I have seen it since, like internal to an avionics box
I've seen it occasionally. Usually on specialty lab equipment or custom stuff. Saves a lot of labor costs by going with zip ties.