Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Spitting and Snotting Etiquette

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Old 11-20-22, 07:52 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts

If you need to expel, please pull far off to the side or drop off the back of the group before discharging your mucus!

On my group ride yesterday, some fat wannabe in a red Cofidis kit slid into our pack. I ended up behind him as he farmer hankied right in front of me, spraying my face with his germ-infested sinus mist. What an ass!
Old 11-20-22, 08:05 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 2,501 Times in 1,045 Posts
Did he at least apologize profusely and offer to buy you six tires of your choice? You would absolutely been within reason to tell him (and it's always a "him" that does things like this) in no uncertain terms that he was no longer welcome in the group. Someone that careless with his snot rockets on a group ride will do other careless crap on a group ride, and someone will get hurt, perhaps badly. At most, he gets one - and I stress "one" - stern warning. If he does it again, or if he does anything dangerous, he's out. Period.

And if your group did not back you up, you should think about finding another group
Old 11-20-22, 08:10 PM
bikeme

Originally Posted by bikingshearer;[url=tel:22716654
22716654[/url]]Did he at least apologize profusely and offer to buy you six tires of your choice? You would absolutely been within reason to tell him (and it's always a "him" that does things like this) in no uncertain terms that he was no longer welcome in the group. Someone that careless with his snot rockets on a group ride will do other careless crap on a group ride, and someone will get hurt, perhaps badly. At most, he gets one - and I stress "one" - stern warning. If he does it again, or if he does anything dangerous, he's out. Period.

And if your group did not back you up, you should think about finding another group
he was not in our group—he took an opportunity to get a draft when we had slowed. I told him it’s not cool to do that as well as what he should’ve done. His reply was “what?” A few around him gave him grief and we then dropped him.
Old 11-21-22, 03:45 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
there's a reason i very rarely ride with groups but it's based on inattentive riders not being able to keep the rubber side down. add one more reason to the list.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 11-22-22, 02:55 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeme
If you need to expel, please pull far off to the side or drop off the back of the group before discharging your mucus!

On my group ride yesterday, some fat wannabe in a red Cofidis kit slid into our pack. I ended up behind him as he farmer hankied right in front of me, spraying my face with his germ-infested sinus mist. What an ass!
If I'm in a group ride, I always pull off to the side to spit or blow out a nose projectile. Also it's best to spit downwards to avoid any mucus mist.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 11-28-22, 09:26 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
If I'm in a group ride, I always pull off to the side to spit or blow out a nose projectile. Also it's best to spit downwards to avoid any mucus mist.
Move to the side AND back. Some guys that pull to the side don't understand cross winds.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 12-04-22, 04:01 PM
JimmyNH
Dilligaf

Bikes: Orbea

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Hey Bikeme, is this the azzhole in question?

I've been group riding since 1993 and I've never had an issue like this. I guess, you bumped into a rare idiot. Wise man said "Do not assume malice for what stupidity can explain". Anyway, I reckon you got the best revenge by dropping the moron.
Likes For JimmyNH:
Old 12-05-22, 05:25 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by JimmyNH

I've been group riding since 1993 and I've never had an issue like this. I guess, you bumped into a rare idiot. Wise man said "Do not assume malice for what stupidity can explain". Anyway, I reckon you got the best revenge by dropping the moron.
haha jimmy vibes!
Likes For diphthong:
Old 12-05-22, 07:23 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts

You are riding in a group and whether you realize it or not, sharing.
Old 12-05-22, 11:50 AM
bikeme

Originally Posted by JimmyNH

I'm not 100% sure but that guy is definitely in the same genre. I don't recall a mullet but I he did have a helmet on.