Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Reasons for choosing an electric bike.

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Reasons for choosing an electric bike.

Old 11-29-22, 06:54 AM
rvman

Bikes: Jamis commuter 2 , engwe EP-2 Pro 750 watt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
I've had my EP2-Pro since Oct 2022, and if it wasn't for this bike, I would still be on the couch. My analog bikes don't work for me anymore with all the hills I have to deal with. It was hard to give up bicycling, but with 2 knee replacements and a fused ankle my riding days unless it was perfectly flat wasn't going to happen. Now I enjoy going up them, and just using enough power to get to the top without working to hard, and also trying to conserve as much AH's as I can. I love all of that. I can also just sit upright and just use the throttle. So many options, but I ride an Ebike so I can enjoy the experience of riding even with disabilities. On the other hand , yesterday I rode these hills in pas level 2 for 11 miles, and believe me, it was a workout, and yes when I got tired I just twisted the throttle. For my type of riding, I will never go analog again. I'm hooked.
Likes For rvman:
Old 11-29-22, 02:00 PM
Cworthy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rvman
I've had my EP2-Pro since Oct 2022, and if it wasn't for this bike, I would still be on the couch. My analog bikes don't work for me anymore with all the hills I have to deal with. It was hard to give up bicycling, but with 2 knee replacements and a fused ankle my riding days unless it was perfectly flat wasn't going to happen. Now I enjoy going up them, and just using enough power to get to the top without working to hard, and also trying to conserve as much AH's as I can. I love all of that. I can also just sit upright and just use the throttle. So many options, but I ride an Ebike so I can enjoy the experience of riding even with disabilities. On the other hand , yesterday I rode these hills in pas level 2 for 11 miles, and believe me, it was a workout, and yes when I got tired I just twisted the throttle. For my type of riding, I will never go analog again. I'm hooked.
Hi RVman -- That's a good-looking folding bike, and I'm glad it's made biking fun again. My guess is that the pedaling is strengthening all those supporting muscles around your knees. I couldn't agree more about the exercise advantage of getting just enough pedal assistance to avoid pain but still get the benefits of exercise. When I first visited magicyclebike.com that variable pedal assistance was something that really appealed to me. My cruiser has seven PAS levels, and each level is completely adjustable to my preferences. My knees are o.k., but in my case, the challenge is recovering from a "widowmaker" heart attack and emergency quad bypass surgery. My cardiologist had prescribed what seemed a rather large number of exercise hours. I knew I would never do it unless it was fun, and e-bikes are definitely fun! It's a rare day that I'm not out riding.
Likes For Cworthy:
Old 11-29-22, 04:55 PM
rvman

Good for you. ebiking is easy on the cardio compared to am analog bike. I can control the cardio easier on my ebike
Likes For rvman:
Old 11-29-22, 08:43 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
Originally Posted by rvman
Good for you. ebiking is easy on the cardio compared to am analog bike. I can control the cardio easier on my ebike
ya I was sick and I could not work at all cranked it to turbo and kept my heart rate around 95. sucked for burning calories but I could not do more. I had to run an errand after work 19 miles to get homes and I was ok afterwards a little tired but I would have had to ride the bus otherwise.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 12-05-22, 10:22 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 246 Posts
I own ebikes simply because I can. It's my money.

More important, I don't seek permission nor acceptance from the haters on the internet. Probably why I have never disclosed at anytime what I own.

They are awesome for running boring errands fast, like fetching auto parts, a gallon of paint from home depot, a case of beer, whatever.

The only sucky part is that I dare not to lock it up. It always follows me into the store and doubles as the shopping cart.

Likes For soyabean:
Old 12-06-22, 10:48 AM
Cworthy

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
ya I was sick and I could not work at all cranked it to turbo and kept my heart rate around 95. sucked for burning calories but I could not do more. I had to run an errand after work 19 miles to get homes and I was ok afterwards a little tired but I would have had to ride the bus otherwise.
Totally agree...this is a huge advantage of e-bikes over conventional bikes.
Likes For Cworthy:
Old 12-06-22, 07:40 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
On my third ebike which is a Vado SL. Choose it because it is extremely light weight but offers enough assistance when needed. Love riding gravel/dirt and chip sealed roads.
Likes For CodyDog:
Old 12-06-22, 08:46 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Whenever I see this thread title I think "because they're cleaner than internal combustion bikes."

For years we had a local guy who built IC bicycles and sold them on Craigslist so there are quite a few of them around. I see one at work every day.

But I haven't seen him selling them in the couple of years. I suspect that's because his former customers are now choosing ebikes. For obvious reasons.
Old 12-09-22, 11:22 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
Got my first ebike because riding a loaded cargo bike without motor became a bit too hard going uphill. So I got me a slightly used Radwagon 3. I also want to convert one of my commuter recumbents to an ebike.
For me bicycles are primarily transportation vehicles and not exercise equipment. Yes it is great if you can combine both, but why do we need to move two tonnes of steel to transport a human body from point A to point B?
I commute by bike and run most my errands by bike. Commuting, shopping, doctor visits, ...
Therefore I don't understand the hatred towards ebikes here in the US. People need to understand and learn that bicycles are great transportation vehicles and not just something you race on the road, through the woods or ride through a park. And if ebikes help to get more people using bikes for their daily errands instead of using a car we are all better of. And so is our planet.

Last edited by Harhir; 12-09-22 at 11:34 AM.
Likes For Harhir:
Old 12-10-22, 05:15 AM
rvman

Well said.
Old 12-10-22, 09:59 AM
Cworthy

Very true...an e-bike can be more convenient, and even faster in some cases. Certainly it is far less expensive. I rode my Magicycle (fat tire e-bike, not EMTB) to the gym again, about 8 miles each direction. That's approximately two cents in "fuel" costs. If I used my car, there goes at least $2 just in fuel. For a commuter such as yourself, I can imagine how quickly the savings build -- and we haven't even mentioned the tiny carbon footprint!. Personally, I ride mostly for exercise, but I still appreciate the economical transportation for running errands. I live in an area that is mostly hills, many of them quite steep, so even when not exercising I find my 7 levels of pedal assistance very useful. It sounds like nearly all your transportation needs are accommodated by your e-bike. That's very cool!
Old 12-16-22, 03:25 PM
Jan Feetz
de oranje

Bikes: ItalVega, Guerciotti SLX, Litespeed T1, Oma Fiets

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Harhir
Got my first ebike because riding a loaded cargo bike without motor became a bit too hard going uphill. So I got me a slightly used Radwagon 3. I also want to convert one of my commuter recumbents to an ebike.
For me bicycles are primarily transportation vehicles and not exercise equipment. Yes it is great if you can combine both, but why do we need to move two tonnes of steel to transport a human body from point A to point B?
I commute by bike and run most my errands by bike. Commuting, shopping, doctor visits, ...
Therefore I don't understand the hatred towards ebikes here in the US. People need to understand and learn that bicycles are great transportation vehicles and not just something you race on the road, through the woods or ride through a park. And if ebikes help to get more people using bikes for their daily errands instead of using a car we are all better of. And so is our planet.
Most persons dont hate the ebike. Rather most persons hate the ebike rider. Why? Some, like those on this forum ride responsibly, wereas the majority on those who ride the ebike, ride recklessly. Ebike riders are becoming more hated than the arrogant Roadie.
Likes For Jan Feetz:
Old 12-16-22, 07:20 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan Feetz
Most persons dont hate the ebike. Rather most persons hate the ebike rider. Why? Some, like those on this forum ride responsibly, wereas the majority on those who ride the ebike, ride recklessly. Ebike riders are becoming more hated than the arrogant Roadie.
I can agree with this, to a degree. I see delivery people completely ignore every rule around, BUT I also see acoustic (ugh,...) bike riders being just as careless/dangerous around people as well. And human powered cyclists tend to ride faster around pedestrians than ebikers. Both suck,...
Old 12-17-22, 02:06 AM
FloBike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tds101
Originally I got an ebike because of covid breathing issues, but now that I'm much better it's completely changed. I'm hooked because of the fun factor, convienence of not arriviving sweaty at work, speed, the additional exercise I get due to my riding longer when out & about, and overall joy I get from the darn things. They're just so much fun to ride. I could honestly care less about traditional "cyclists" disdain for ebikes. I've always admired them, but I was afraid to test the electric bike waters. Now that I'm hooked there's no going back!
I agree with you ebike are helpful for people who have some health issues. they can enjoy the environment without any fatigue.
Likes For FloBike:
Old 12-18-22, 03:49 PM
Mehedi286

Bikes: Aventon’s Soltera

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I choose to buy an electric bike for a variety of reasons. Firstly, I like the convenience and portability of an electric bike. They are much easier to store and transport than a regular bike, and they are more efficient than traditional bikes. Secondly, I appreciate the speed of an electric bike. With an electric motor, I can easily travel up hills and long distances with less effort. Additionally, electric bikes are more environmentally friendly than gasoline-powered vehicles and can help reduce emissions. Lastly, I like the fact that electric bikes don't require gas or oil, so they are cheaper to operate in the long run. All of these reasons make me choose to buy an electric bike.
Likes For Mehedi286:
Old 12-20-22, 12:13 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by Mehedi286
I choose to buy an electric bike for a variety of reasons. Firstly, I like the convenience and portability of an electric bike. They are much easier to store and transport than a regular bike, and they are more efficient than traditional bikes. Secondly, I appreciate the speed of an electric bike. With an electric motor, I can easily travel up hills and long distances with less effort. Additionally, electric bikes are more environmentally friendly than gasoline-powered vehicles and can help reduce emissions. Lastly, I like the fact that electric bikes don't require gas or oil, so they are cheaper to operate in the long run. All of these reasons make me choose to buy an electric bike.
Wait what? Easier to store and transport? Not at all, my Ti road bike is 50lbs lighter than my e-bike and way easier to transport. Granted I do have two batteries on mine but still the only thing I have seen close to being similar to my road bike is the Specialized Creo and those are still heavier and harder to transport. Electric batteries unless under a certain WH cannot go certain ways like on airplanes (which doesn't bother me) and e-bike generally can't go on a lot of car racks because of the per bike weight limits.

I can agree with the rest of it but not easier to transport or store. Most of my bikes can go on the hanging rack, my e-bike cannot even if I went to the trouble of removing the fenders each time I would still have to lift it up onto the rack and that is a lot of work and my back don't like it, jack. Granted yes I store mine on its kickstand so I just roll it in but then I have to turn it back around to roll it out so it is always a bit more faff.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-20-22, 07:29 AM
Jsosborn

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0 SL; Specialized Creo SL EVO Carbon; Brompton M6L; Rad Runner 5, Cannondale Quick Neo, Giant beater

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Re: Easier to store and transport

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Wait what? Easier to store and transport? Not at all, my Ti road bike is 50lbs lighter than my e-bike and way easier to transport. Granted I do have two batteries on mine but still the only thing I have seen close to being similar to my road bike is the Specialized Creo and those are still heavier and harder to transport. Electric batteries unless under a certain WH cannot go certain ways like on airplanes (which doesn't bother me) and e-bike generally can't go on a lot of car racks because of the per bike weight limits.

I can agree with the rest of it but not easier to transport or store. Most of my bikes can go on the hanging rack, my e-bike cannot even if I went to the trouble of removing the fenders each time I would still have to lift it up onto the rack and that is a lot of work and my back don't like it, jack. Granted yes I store mine on its kickstand so I just roll it in but then I have to turn it back around to roll it out so it is always a bit more faff.
I have to agree. My Specialized Creo SL and Vado 5.0 SL and just over and just under 30 lbs, which is what most of my acoustic bikes weigh. They are just as easy to store and transport, and once I accept trains rather than airplanes to take them on trips, it's even easier. I did this 6 weeks last year, and expect about 6 weeks this year of combining Amtrak and biketouring.
Likes For Jsosborn:
Old 12-20-22, 10:04 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Mehedi286
I choose to buy an electric bike for a various of reasons. Firstly, I like the convenience and portability of an electric bike. They are much easier to store and transport than a regular bike, and they are more efficient than traditional bikes. Secondly, I appreciate the speed of an electric bike. With an electric motor, I can easily travel up hills and long distances with less effort. Additionally, electric bikes are more environmentally friendly than gasoline-powered vehicles and can help reduce emissions. Lastly, I like the fact that electric bikes don't require gas or oil, so they are cheaper to operate in the long run. All of these reasons make me choose to buy an electric bike.
If you are talking about foldable ebikes, yes they are more compact than non foldable regular bikes. But that is a comparison of oranges and apples. If you compare a foldable ebike with foldable non ebike such as the Brompton models, the ebike version is always heavier because of battery and motor. Same applies for non folding bikes. Most non folding ebikes are way heavier than their non electric counterparts. Especially with this stupid trend here in the US (in my eyes) that ebikes need be fat tire behemoths.
Likes For Harhir:
Old 12-20-22, 12:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsosborn
I have to agree. My Specialized Creo SL and Vado 5.0 SL and just over and just under 30 lbs, which is what most of my acoustic bikes weigh. They are just as easy to store and transport, and once I accept trains rather than airplanes to take them on trips, it's even easier. I did this 6 weeks last year, and expect about 6 weeks this year of combining Amtrak and biketouring.
Trains are the way to travel. Just got back from a longer Amtrak journey and loved it, though want to at some point take a bike but my e-bike is too unwieldy for travel like that and with all my luggage plus helping out with companion travelers it would be tough to manage a bike in all of that. I should probably get or build up a Brompton. I want to do that anyway for rare occasions I travel and can go cycling.

Iif your bikes all weigh around the same it doesn't change much but all of my non-electric bikes are lighter, my touring bike being about the same weight unladen as some of the lower spec or larger sized Creo SLs and probably lighter than the Vado SL but not by a ton. I know battery technology will get better and that will be the day we will have some really excellent super light stuff. I am curious about the ride of the new Fazua, I like the SL motors and probably will end up on one in the future but the Fazua 60 stuff on paper seems like a real winner. If they can do it in the U.S. with a 28mph motor and that battery size, color me sold however if not I don't want a 20mph thing unless I build a purely off road bike than that is fine.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-30-22, 06:33 PM
adlai

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
I think that ebikes are best for use with cars. Not on bike paths but where you share with cars. Reason simply is greater speed so you don't hold up traffic. Also the faster speed I think is a little safer. And cargo/utility cycling.
Old 01-04-23, 04:55 AM
Milepost105 

Bikes: Vintage to Electric

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 17 Posts
We have 3 e bikes in our family. Our bikes make it possible share the joy of cycling with someone who otherwise wouldn’t be willing or able to go for a nice ride. We live near Skyline Drive in the mountains of Virginia and it is a great place to go for a ride. What a fun thing to take a friend there so they can experience riding an e bike.
Likes For Milepost105:
Old 01-15-23, 04:53 PM
Mehedi286

Bikes: Aventon’s Soltera

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
E-bikes are a great option for me because it is a convenient and economical mode of transportation.

I found many benefits compared to traditional bikes, such as:

-Easier to ride: E-bikes have an electric motor that assists you with pedaling, making it easier to ride uphill and over long distances.

-Cost-effective: The cost of an e-bike is typically much lower than that of a car.

-Environmentally friendly: E-bikes are powered by electricity, which is a much cleaner and more sustainable energy source than gasoline.

-Fun to ride: With the extra power from the motor, e-bikes can be more fun to ride than regular bicycles.

These were some general thoughts on my mind.
Likes For Mehedi286:
Old 01-20-23, 11:35 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 448 Posts
I enjoy cycling, have done so for over 4 decades with acoustic bicycles.
Since 2013, I commute in NYC metro, 8-12 miles one-way.
I started converting my Mt bikes into ebikes since 2014
Ebike is the easiest way to get around in NYC metro and likely the quickest, too.
My ebikes are cheap, not flashy to avoid attention from thieves.
I remove the seatpost or battery from my ebike when parked, rarely do I lock them or leave them out of sight for extended amount of time.
My ebikes are reliable, operate in all weather if need to, put away wet and ride the next day.
I don't ride for competition anymore, high speed, motor weight distribution, off-road capability are not priority for me.
Getting to my destination safely, reliably and cheaply are my priorities.
I rarely transport my ebikes with cars, I just ride them where I need to go, or use public transport that allow.
I ride in traffic, I filter through cars to the front of traffic lights, I ride through parks, I ride against traffic flow on one-way streets or sidewalks (if need to), but always at sensible speed for safety.
In NYC metro, pedestrians very much overlook the legality of cycling on sidewalks if you operate in a safe manner.
Old 01-20-23, 03:38 PM
EBikeFanatic

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just don’t like pedalling that much lol
Old 02-01-23, 12:20 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Wifey says I should get a really expensive & really good E-bike for work commuting. she might be on to something cuz the old car is getting up there in miles!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.