Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Newport Back Bay

How is the Back Bay these days?

I read in the papers that the house on Galaxy Drive above the Back Bay is pretty much done.

Does that mean the Back Bay road is limited or even closed?
Old 03-17-23, 09:54 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
Galaxy Drive is on the other side of the Back Bay area, no bike trail back there AFAIK. The east/south side has no issues except the usual attention deficient crowds that ride/walk/run on it.
Old 03-17-23, 12:04 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,016 Posts
I rode it (clockwise) 5 days ago and it was fine but a little damp in some spots. As skidder said, Galaxy Drive is on the bluffs on the opposite side of back bay from the Mountains to the Sea Trail & Bikeway.
Old 03-17-23, 12:41 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,085 Times in 3,825 Posts
I rode Back Bay yesterday morning. It was open, but there were a few puddles and dirty/sandy areas. I saw a crew working on cleaning at one spot.
Old 01-02-24, 01:20 PM
ui127

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Anyone else a regular rider of the Back Bay? It's adjacent to my home and my go to ride! I love how it connects to the San Diego Creek Trail and all of the various interconnections to the Irvine bike network from there. My complaints are that the west side of the back bay is a very busy multi-use trail. I'm happy to slow down but the trail etiquette is very suspect with dogs, strollers, etc. I either use it as a light warm-up, connection to the better San Diego Creek Trail or do a loop if it's off peak hours. I also wish it fully connected on the PCH side, and that it was easier to jump over to the SART.
Old 01-02-24, 06:53 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

ui127 I often ride the Newport Back Bay, always in the clockwise direction, except in the winter when it is too wet and sandy. But I did not even know there was a trail on the west side of the bay! I continue from the Mountain to the Sea Trail onto Back Bay Dr., across the entrance into Newport Dunes area, turn right onto the cut between the cliffs on the left and the fence of the mobile home park on the right, which ends at N. Bayside Dr. I turn left onto N. Bayside Dr., then right onto PCH, go over the bridge, right onto Dover Dr, then right onto Irvine Avenue until I reach the Bayview Trail, which I ride until it ends across Jamboree from Fletcher Jones Mercedes Benz, from which I can get back onto the Mountains to the Sea Trail.
Old 01-03-24, 09:18 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by ui127
Anyone else a regular rider of the Back Bay?
In the summer months my buddies and I try to do our ride from the Back bay all around Irvine etc. We usually park near Vista Point (on Eastbluff Dr) then head North on the San Diego Creek to almost Portola. There's a bike trail about a 1/4 mile before Portola that we ride though this section of condo's and houses. We end up on Portola and the work our way to the Great Park for a snack. Then we go up the Shady Canyon Path. Sometimes when UCI is out of session we'll ride through the campus. Other times take Ford back to the cars. It's a great ride.

The best thing about that area is that there are bike trails all over the place. On top of the the bike lanes on the major road are incredibly wide. It's a great area to ride in.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 01-03-24, 03:06 PM
ui127

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
In the summer months my buddies and I try to do our ride from the Back bay all around Irvine etc. We usually park near Vista Point (on Eastbluff Dr) then head North on the San Diego Creek to almost Portola. There's a bike trail about a 1/4 mile before Portola that we ride though this section of condo's and houses. We end up on Portola and the work our way to the Great Park for a snack. Then we go up the Shady Canyon Path. Sometimes when UCI is out of session we'll ride through the campus. Other times take Ford back to the cars. It's a great ride.

The best thing about that area is that there are bike trails all over the place. On top of the the bike lanes on the major road are incredibly wide. It's a great area to ride in.
Thanks for the thorough description, I'm going to try this out next! I've done very similar rides but not quite what you're describing. What's the snack spot in Great Park? Or you're just bringing snacks and hanging out?

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
ui127 I often ride the Newport Back Bay, always in the clockwise direction, except in the winter when it is too wet and sandy. But I did not even know there was a trail on the west side of the bay! I continue from the Mountain to the Sea Trail onto Back Bay Dr., across the entrance into Newport Dunes area, turn right onto the cut between the cliffs on the left and the fence of the mobile home park on the right, which ends at N. Bayside Dr. I turn left onto N. Bayside Dr., then right onto PCH, go over the bridge, right onto Dover Dr, then right onto Irvine Avenue until I reach the Bayview Trail, which I ride until it ends across Jamboree from Fletcher Jones Mercedes Benz, from which I can get back onto the Mountains to the Sea Trail.
Sorry, I think I misspoke a bit. I take the exact same route as you - I was describing the Bayview Trail as the west side of the bay which probably isn't quite right. My sense of cardinal directions is based on a very flat, square uniform grid in Chicago with the lake to the east and that logic fails me out here. Anyways - I do thnik this is a great trail to have right by me without any driving required. I ride it year round and have only run into a few winter issues where sand forces the short portion through the mobile home park to be closed down by Newport Dunes. Even then - I can just cut across their small bridge across the water instead to get over to the PCH. I have some PTSD on Dover @ Irvine, drivers get really impatient there where the bike lane merges into the road and I've had a few road rage incidents targeted at me. Drivers out here bum me out.
Old 01-03-24, 04:55 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
What's the snack spot in Great Park? Or you're just bringing snacks and hanging out?
Right next to where the big orange hot air balloon is. What looks like possibly a Park Office has a small convenience store where you can get a coke or other things like that.
Old 01-03-24, 05:02 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Right next to where the big orange hot air balloon is. What looks like possibly a Park Office has a small convenience store where you can get a coke or other things like that.
Before COVID there used to be food trucks there during farmers' market, but I don't know if that is still the case.
Old 01-03-24, 05:09 PM
ui127

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Before COVID there used to be food trucks there during farmers' market, but I don't know if that is still the case.
They do have food trucks during the Sunday afternoon farmer's market. I play hockey next door and see them set up occasionally. It's tough to find refreshments in that Great Park area otherwise. Now that I think about it, there is food, drinks and even beer to be found inside the ice rink which isn't the worst option.
Old 01-06-24, 10:08 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
This morning Saturday January 6, 2024, I looked at the outside thermometer at 6AM and it shows 43 degrees.

Then I was wondering about long rides versus shorter rides, fast pace or easier pace.

Riding in 40 degree temps "hurts". The faster the pace, the quicker the ride will last but the more force wind hitting me. The slower the pace the less wind on me.
Old 01-06-24, 04:30 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
[QUOTE=Garfield Cat;23121261]This morning Saturday January 6, 2024, I looked at the outside thermometer at 6AM and it shows 43 degrees.

Hence why I waited until 0745 to embark on today's ride by then it was a balmy 47.
West
Old 01-06-24, 06:50 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I have some PTSD on Dover @ Irvine, drivers get really impatient there where the bike lane merges into the road and I've had a few road rage incidents targeted at me. Drivers out here bum me out.
You can avoid this entirely. From Dover, right on Westcliff, left on Santiago, right on Irvine Ave (or the sidewalk there if you want to ride the trail.). Personally I would stay on Irvine Ave all the way to right on Mesa, turn R again on Mesa where it curves left and turns into Birch, ride to the end, continue on the trail, the L onto the last part of the Bayview trail. This avoids the really congested area of the trail near University.
Likes For jimincalif:
Old 01-11-24, 12:34 AM
Parsival

Bikes: 23 Sirrus X.50 / 21 Sirrus 6.0 / 19 EPIC Carbon Comp

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 15 Posts
I routinely ride Back Bay. Great ride for anyone looking to minimize any car interactions. I take it up to Portola via the bike path and ride back to the Great Park via road and to Sand Canyon bike trail as part of the loop.