Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Little bit lost about HR and what to do now..

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-15, 04:54 AM
BionicChris

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Tarmac Comp, 2015 Merida Reacto 5000, 2015 Giant Trinity Composite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's been a good winter for me - I moved into the top quarter on Strava for the majority of climbs in I did in Mallorca this year, taking between 10 and 30% off of my times from a year ago. My TT pace on our local loop improved by another 30 seconds on my previous PB, and my 20 minute power was 315w, a small improvement. Everything seemed great, so I thought what the hell - I'm going to go and try racing.

Entered the first one and after 10 miles @ over 28mph average my heart rate was at 96% of max, then I got caught in an accident and dropped off the lead bunch, chased for 2 miles and couldn't catch up. Heart rate was so high I couldn't sustain it at the pace

Medically I am all good, had all my organs checked out only recently, so I have no concerns about that.

I desperately want to be on the pace in racing and be able to sit with the lead group on a 25 mile race, but even without the accident I think I would have been dropped after 14 miles.

I see it as my TT'ing is constant power, but each lap of the racing was like 3 x 1 minute with 10 second off for a chicane between each minute....

Where do I go now with my training - zones, power, HR, intervals... I'm lost!
Old 04-08-15, 08:36 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do I get this right?

You want to go at 96% of your max heart rate for nearly an hour (25 miles @ 28MPH)?

Frankly I don't think anybody could do that... 96% of your max heart rate is certainly above your anerobic threshold -- and the anaerobic system is used for short, hard bursts & sprints. For longer distances you need to use mostly the aerobic system. So, if you want to go fast for a long time, you need to raise your anaerobic threshold so you can stay in the aerobic zone at speed...
Old 04-08-15, 09:02 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
You want to talk to folks on the "33". But you have that just right - TT power is where you start, but for short course racing you need anaerobic interval training. It's the ability to go anaerobic and repeat time after time. So lactate clearance and all of that stuff. Strength, too. Here's the recipe book from the 33:
https://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-bi...cipe-book.html

You should be able to do very well with appropriate training and experience. Other than pack skills, experience is mostly about how not to work so hard all the time - just now and again. and again.
Old 04-08-15, 02:44 PM
BionicChris

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Tarmac Comp, 2015 Merida Reacto 5000, 2015 Giant Trinity Composite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac
Do I get this right?

You want to go at 96% of your max heart rate for nearly an hour (25 miles @ 28MPH)?

Frankly I don't think anybody could do that... 96% of your max heart rate is certainly above your anerobic threshold -- and the anaerobic system is used for short, hard bursts & sprints. For longer distances you need to use mostly the aerobic system. So, if you want to go fast for a long time, you need to raise your anaerobic threshold so you can stay in the aerobic zone at speed...
No, I am aware that I cannot do that - I was suffering like hell because I needed to work hard to stay with the pack, and then worked even harder to try and chase back after getting dropped.

Thanks for the responses, I am booked in for a few more races and TT's over the next month, so hopefully i'll see more improvements - after all, it won't get worse than my first attempt!
Old 04-08-15, 03:06 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BionicChris
No, I am aware that I cannot do that - I was suffering like hell because I needed to work hard to stay with the pack, and then worked even harder to try and chase back after getting dropped.

Thanks for the responses, I am booked in for a few more races and TT's over the next month, so hopefully i'll see more improvements - after all, it won't get worse than my first attempt!
Was it Greg Lemond who said: "It never gets easier. You just go faster"

Like Carbonfiberboy mentioned: experience has a lot to do with the end result.

Best of Luck!
Old 04-09-15, 12:15 AM
Dutch Jazz

Bikes: Batavus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BionicChris

The extremely high HR is probably also partly due to the stress of being in your first race. When I did my first race my HR was through the roof as well.
Old 04-10-15, 06:43 AM
BionicChris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nerves certainly played a part, I was extremely tense and overly cautious in the pack. I did a 60 miler the day after the race and my knee started giving discomfort so I haven't done any training yet.

Luckily my next race is a smaller field and a "30 minutes + 1 lap" race which should suit my TT'ing fitness level a bit more.