Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cassette spacer help

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cassette spacer help

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-15, 05:39 AM
fastk9dad

Bikes: Specialized Tricross, Cannondale CAAD10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cassette spacer help

I just purchased a set of Vuelta Corsa lite wheels which come with an 11spd freehub and include the 1.85mm spacer for 8/9/10spd cassettes. When I try to use the included spacer with my Tiagra 10spd cassette the lockring can't catch any threads. I'm not sure if this is because the spacer isn't notched for the heads of the retaining pins on the back of the cassette so it's spaced too much, but it's my understanding the heads of the pins on the Tiagra cassettes take the place of the 1mm spacer normally used on other 10spd cassettes (105 & above) and from everything I've been told/read is that on an 11spd freehub you need to use the both the 1.85mm & 1mm spacers which would lead me to believe the Tiagra pins shouldn't be an issue.

If I remove the 1.85mm spacer, I can install the cassette and tighten the lockring properly, I am able to adjust the derailleur with no interference issues but you can clearly tell cassette is sitting inboard of where it should be since you can see more of the axle housing then usual (about 1.85mm worth. ).

I have an email into Vuelta but figured I'd ask the question here as well... Since the included spacer is just plastic, should I try notching it for the pins? Do they make lockrings with longer threads? Or should I just run it as it is, since there are no interference issues and my derailleur stops are set correctly?
Old 04-28-15, 06:21 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
The 1.85 mm spacer that came with my Vuelta Corsa HD wheels wasn't notched for the rivets on my cassette. I tried using it anyway and found that the cassette's rivets deformed the spacer. It just didn't fit well, so I ordered a spacer that had notches for the cassette:
Shimano 11-Speed 1.85mm Low Spacer

I actually ordered two by mistake and have a spare. I'd be happy to mail my extra to you, free of charge, if you're interested.
Old 04-28-15, 06:43 AM
fastk9dad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyDog75
The 1.85 mm spacer that came with my Vuelta Corsa HD wheels wasn't notched for the rivets on my cassette. I tried using it anyway and found that the cassette's rivets deformed the spacer. It just didn't fit well, so I ordered a spacer that had notches for the cassette:
Shimano 11-Speed 1.85mm Low Spacer

I actually ordered two by mistake and have a spare. I'd be happy to mail my extra to you, free of charge, if you're interested.

Thanks, seems like that would be a better solution than trying to notch the current one. I'll shoot you a PM.

edit: can't send PM's not enough points!

Last edited by fastk9dad; 04-28-15 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-28-15, 07:04 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Just grind the rivet heads flush and install the spacer. The rivets are mainly for convenience in handling at the factory and during shipping and installation. After the cassette is assembled and installed the rivets are redundant and can be removed or ignored. I grind them off routinely. Or use the notched spacer if it is available.
Old 04-28-15, 10:58 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Just grind the rivet heads flush and install the spacer. The rivets are mainly for convenience in handling at the factory and during shipping and installation. After the cassette is assembled and installed the rivets are redundant and can be removed or ignored. I grind them off routinely. Or use the notched spacer if it is available.
+1
I had a similar problem installing a 9 speed "Tiagara" cassette on an RM-30 hub. (others have worked fine)
I had to grind the heads flush to get enough lock ring purchase.
Old 04-28-15, 02:20 PM
fastk9dad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses everyone. Glad to know I'm not the only one who experienced the issue. I'll be getting a notched spacer pronto.