Humboldt County, CA

Old 11-16-22, 10:42 PM
milkandrelish

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Humboldt County, CA

Hello! Just joined from Humboldt County - anyone else in the area?
Old 11-17-22, 06:32 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,030 Posts
Paging Korina and seanallant . They are both up there somewhere.

I'm in Berkeley, so I don't qualify.
Old 11-18-22, 08:42 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by milkandrelish
Hello! Just joined from Humboldt County - anyone else in the area?
Hi and welcome! Humboldt's a very large area. Which part are you in?
Old 11-18-22, 10:48 PM
milkandrelish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Korina
Hi and welcome! Humboldt's a very large area. Which part are you in?
I'm in arcata!
Old 11-19-22, 05:11 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

I'm in arcata!
Neighbor! Hey, if you're interested, I (try to) host a weekly casual bike ride; we meet on Thursdays at 11:00, when most people are working. I've also tried Sundays at 12:00 on the Plaza; nibbles, but mostly no one shows. Are you interested?
Old 11-21-22, 01:29 PM
milkandrelish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Neighbor! Hey, if you're interested, I (try to) host a weekly casual bike ride; we meet on Thursdays at 11:00, when most people are working. I've also tried Sundays at 12:00 on the Plaza; nibbles, but mostly no one shows. Are you interested?
Awesome - I am down to join on a Sunday ride one of these days. I just (re)injured myself and might have to take a few weeks off riding. But, if you're ok with me showing up on an ebike I'll be there!
Old 11-21-22, 01:54 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Awesome - I am down to join on a Sunday ride one of these days. I just (re)injured myself and might have to take a few weeks off riding. But, if you're ok with me showing up on an ebike I'll be there!
Ouch! My friend Sharon took a spill last Friday (on 1st St. in Eureka; her skinny 32mm tires got stuck in those stupid train tracks). If you don't mind a slow ride, I'm game. Not this Sunday, I'll be recovering from the Volunteer Trail Stewards workday; we'll be doing some trail maintenance in the Community Forest. You're welcome to come along; many hands make light work.

BTW, do you do the Critical Mass ride? It's on this Friday; 6:00 on the Plaza. It's a fun ride.

Do you have a name, or should I call you MaR?
Old 11-28-22, 04:31 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
critical mass in arcata.....that is bound to be special....

Old 11-28-22, 07:11 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by squirtdad
critical mass in arcata.....that is bound to be special....
It's a blast! We just ride 6-8 miles slowly around town, taking up at least one lane, lights blazing and twinkling, whooping, playing music, and having a good time on our bikes. The only issue is with the number of people; the Halloween ride had well over 200 people, with some yahoos feeling the need to show off. November's ride was 40+ and much more fun. Chilly, but fun, despite the flat.
Old 12-20-22, 12:12 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Everyone ok up there? All reports so far are of lost power and some injuries, hopefully all our posters are ok?

Rebuilding after the 2014 6.0 quake here took a while; our downtown Post Office building and Safeway are still lying empty.
Old 12-20-22, 04:06 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
Everyone ok up there? All reports so far are of lost power and some injuries, hopefully all our posters are ok?

Rebuilding after the 2014 6.0 quake here took a while; our downtown Post Office building and Safeway are still lying empty.
I'm in Sacramento, and also hoping everyone's alright. 🤔 I was in Seattle for the Nisqually quake, around 1999 or 2000-ish, and that was a ride, lol. 🤪 I'm not in any hurry for another.
Old 12-20-22, 04:13 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,495 Times in 1,190 Posts
Older towns suffer the most. 6.4 is getting up there. Cold weather and fires burning. I'm sure a few brick chimneys came apart. Hope you all get up and running soon.
Old 12-20-22, 10:34 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Korina, you better be alright, darnit!!! 😟

I see there were 2 deaths reported, but they were both elderly folks, with previous issues. It looks like there were several injuries though, so I figured I'd yell at ya, as a pre-emptive measure, lol. 😁😉 And the same goes for milk & relish, or however the OP spells it. No booboos allowed!!!

Did anyone else notice, there was another sizeable quake in the same general area, exactly a year ago (12-20-21)? Weird, huh? 🤔
Old 12-22-22, 02:06 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Hi, we're fine. Sorry I didn't come here sooner; lots to clean up.

It is weird that there were two earthquakes exactly one year apart. Last year's 6.2 was a big roller; it was also farther away and deeper than Tuesday's so, scary but... I woke up -- excuse me, I WOKE UP to everything shaking in hard, sharp horizontal jolts; I've been likening it to a terrier with a rat in its jaws. They say the whole thing lasted about 15 seconds; I guess it only felt like a minute-and-a-half. People who have lived here for decades say it's one of the worst they've ever felt. It was more than a bit terrifying, and I tried to sleep through the Northridge quake. I still get a little squirt of adrenaline every time I think about it. (Did you know that 1964's Alaska quake went on so long, 10 minutes, that people got bored?)

We were extremely lucky that a weather system moved in Monday night; it was 42*F when I biked home from a meeting, 44 when I went to bed, and 46 when the quake happened; much better than the 34 of previous nights. Took me two hours to calm down enough to go back to bed; the cold did help; made the covers that much cozier. PG&E line workers worked their butts off to get power back on; ours came back at 7:45 Tuesday evening. From nearly 72,000 without power, to under 2,000 in under 24 hours; those folks deserve LARGE bonuses, may their corporate bosses burn in hell.

You've probably seen in the news that Rio Dell got the worst of it, with homes thrown off their foundations and parts falling off of others; they and Fortuna still have boil water orders. Gas line breaks only caused one house fire. Fernbridge, amazingly, survived another one intact; Caltrans is still making repairs to the approaches, but it's open to one-lane controlled traffic, which means Ferndale residents aren't trapped (there were conflicting reports of Blue Slide Rd., the only other way out, being closed or not).

All in all, it was bad, but it could have been so much worse. Thanks for worrying, @stardognine.
Likes For Korina:
Old 12-22-22, 05:26 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Hi, we're fine. Sorry I didn't come here sooner; lots to clean up.

All in all, it was bad, but it could have been so much worse. Thanks for worrying, @stardognine.
Glad to hear you're OK. 👍😎👍

I didn't realize when I first posted, that this one occured around 2:00 AM in the morning. It probably woke me up, but I just figured it was time to pee again, lol. 😁😉

Yep, the Nisqually was a good solid 7.0 when it happened, but then they tried to downgrade it. 🤔
I lost 2 of my 3 computer monitors, and saved the one by literally catching it, as it fell off my shelf. They were roughly at eye-level.

It takes a few minutes to grasp what happened, and you can still be in a minor form of shock, for awhile. Like you need time to fully digest it. 😵

Just to be sure, have you heard from milkandrelish? I kinda thought you meant that, by the "we". 🙂 I can still yell at him or her, if needed. 😁😉
Old 12-24-22, 02:42 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

By "we" I meant myself, my husband, and our cat. Looks like @milkandrelish hasn't been back since their initial posts. We had another quake about an hour ago; 4.1, five miles east of Hydesville. It was quite the jiggle for that far away; everything swayed and rattled a bit, I got a good hit of adrenaline, and the cat snoozed on.

When non-Californians marvel at our blase attitude towards earthquakes, I explain that we just know when to panic.
Old 12-24-22, 04:31 PM
milkandrelish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello! Sorry - I have been a bit MIA as I have been out of town much of the last month. Luckily I missed the earthquake, and our house (and the bike) seemed to survive.

Korina I would love to do a ride with you. I'll have much more time in February to ride. My name is Eli.
Old 12-24-22, 07:49 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

... and the cat snoozed on.

When non-Californians marvel at our blase attitude towards earthquakes, I explain that we just know when to panic.
Right on, we're all OK, and ever so slightly bored with earthquakes. 😁

Now you kids can set up a ride, and ignore this goofy old guy (me). 🚴✌️

And Merry Christmas, you young whippersnappers. ☃️
Likes For stardognine: