Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

IRC Boken Doublecross Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-23, 06:36 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4930 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
IRC Boken Doublecross Tires

Has anyone used these tires for gravel riding? I'm considering giving them a try (38s), but would like to hear some feedback from anyone who has actually tried them. Most of the online review info I'm finding is from IRC-related sources. Pete Stetina seems to be having much racing success on them, but he would probably have the same success on almost any tire.
Old 01-17-23, 09:01 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
I found a few reviews with this google search. Though two of the 'hits' are of the same review written by...Peter Stetina.

I'm not familiar with those tires, but did look them up. Looks like a pretty good option if you are expecting some mud.

PS: how much tire clearance have you got?

Last edited by Koyote; 01-17-23 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-17-23, 03:18 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by Koyote
I found a few reviews with this google search. Though two of the 'hits' are of the same review written by...Peter Stetina.

I'm not familiar with those tires, but did look them up. Looks like a pretty good option if you are expecting some mud.

PS: how much tire clearance have you got?
I found the same reviews. Pretty limited.

I'm running Pirelli 40s now, and I like them a lot. The front has lots of room, but the rear is pretty tight at the chainstays. I'm considering staying with the same Pirelli H/M combo that I have now, but go to 35 for a little more clearance and slightly lighter weight, or trying the IRCs in 38. I'm leaning towards the IRCs at the moment. My long term goal is to find the tires I want to run at BWR CA in April. I know some people do it on wide road tires, but since I'm looking to just finish, rather than race, I'm more inclined to go with something a little beefier, decently grippy in the dirt, and puncture resistant, but still rolls on pavement reasonably efficiently.
Old 01-17-23, 05:03 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Eric F
I found the same reviews. Pretty limited.

I'm running Pirelli 40s now, and I like them a lot. The front has lots of room, but the rear is pretty tight at the chainstays. I'm considering staying with the same Pirelli H/M combo that I have now, but go to 35 for a little more clearance and slightly lighter weight, or trying the IRCs in 38. I'm leaning towards the IRCs at the moment. My long term goal is to find the tires I want to run at BWR CA in April. I know some people do it on wide road tires, but since I'm looking to just finish, rather than race, I'm more inclined to go with something a little beefier, decently grippy in the dirt, and puncture resistant, but still rolls on pavement reasonably efficiently.
Those Pirellis get good reviews, and 40mm is a great all-rounder tire width. I wouldn't worry about the tight fit between the chainstays, assuming that you have confidence in your wheels. (The reality is that, with almost any wheelset, even one broken spoke will end your ride, as even with ample clearance you'll probably have a tire rubbing something.) 35mm is pretty narrow for gravel riding.

I've been looking for a new tire in the 40mm range, too, and am currently trying these; like 'em so far, after about 700 miles. They actually came up lighter than claimed at 408g on my kitchen scale, and they are a true 40mm width on my 25mm ID rims. I've got a pair of them with the puncture protection belt in the garage, but haven't mounted them yet; apparently, they ride quite nicely.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-17-23, 05:08 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
A friend of a friend runs the IRC Boken Doublecross tires. All I really know is that he is on his 3rd pair and that he really likes them.
Likes For katsup:
Old 01-17-23, 05:17 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Those Pirellis get good reviews, and 40mm is a great all-rounder tire width. I wouldn't worry about the tight fit between the chainstays, assuming that you have confidence in your wheels. (The reality is that, with almost any wheelset, even one broken spoke will end your ride, as even with ample clearance you'll probably have a tire rubbing something.) 35mm is pretty narrow for gravel riding.

I've been looking for a new tire in the 40mm range, too, and am currently trying these; like 'em so far, after about 700 miles. They actually came up lighter than claimed at 408g on my kitchen scale, and they are a true 40mm width on my 25mm ID rims. I've got a pair of them with the puncture protection belt in the garage, but haven't mounted them yet; apparently, they ride quite nicely.
I definitely like the Pirellis, and my confidence in their ability to hook up in the dirt continues to grow. My wheels seem pretty bulletproof, but that's usually the case until the moment they aren't.

Those WTBs look interesting, but I'm curious how efficiently they roll on pavement with the center block spacing they have. That weight is attractive, though. That would knock about a 1/2 lb. of rotating weight off my bike. My bike originally had Riddler 37s on it, which seemed pretty decent, but weren't tubeless, so they got replaced with the Pirellis.

I'm new enough to gravel riding that I'm still figuring out many of my personal preferences through experimentation. Because of this, I will probably try the IRCs just because they are a different flavor than the Pirellis, instead of just being a variation of the same flavor.
Old 01-17-23, 05:18 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by katsup
A friend of a friend runs the IRC Boken Doublecross tires. All I really know is that he is on his 3rd pair and that he really likes them.
Thanks for the input!
Old 01-17-23, 05:50 PM
Koyote

I definitely like the Pirellis, and my confidence in their ability to hook up in the dirt continues to grow. My wheels seem pretty bulletproof, but that's usually the case until the moment they aren't.

Those WTBs look interesting, but I'm curious how efficiently they roll on pavement with the center block spacing they have. That weight is attractive, though. That would knock about a 1/2 lb. of rotating weight off my bike. My bike originally had Riddler 37s on it, which seemed pretty decent, but weren't tubeless, so they got replaced with the Pirellis.

I'm new enough to gravel riding that I'm still figuring out many of my personal preferences through experimentation. Because of this, I will probably try the IRCs just because they are a different flavor than the Pirellis, instead of just being a variation of the same flavor.
The Vulpines roll very well on pavement and dry gravel and dirt roads...Very fast. They likely wouldn't be good in the mud, but I don't ride in those conditions very often.

I've tried the Riddler 37s (tubeless), and...meh. They're okay, but don't really do anything very well. Too skinny for me, too.

I'll be interested to hear your impressions of the IRCs; they look interesting.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-17-23, 06:00 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

The Vulpines roll very well on pavement and dry gravel and dirt roads...Very fast. They likely wouldn't be good in the mud, but I don't ride in those conditions very often.

I've tried the Riddler 37s (tubeless), and...meh. They're okay, but don't really do anything very well. Too skinny for me, too.

I'll be interested to hear your impressions of the IRCs; they look interesting.
Just found this review on the Vulpines... https://www.ridinggravel.com/compone...at-the-finish/ I may need to consider these at some point.
Old 01-17-23, 06:40 PM
Koyote

Just found this review on the Vulpines... https://www.ridinggravel.com/compone...at-the-finish/ I may need to consider these at some point.
Yup, that review was part of my decision, too. Those guys are generally pretty honest about products they review.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-20-23, 12:56 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Tires ordered. Will report.
Old 01-25-23, 10:48 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

The IRC tires mounted on my aluminum American Classic rims very easily - easier than the Pirellis, for sure. First one inflated with just my floor pump. Second one needed a boost from a canister, but that’s likely because the valve seems to be a little clogged. I’m hoping to get them out for a ride on Saturday. Pics coming soon…
Old 01-26-23, 06:42 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
ACs…lucky you! Man, I miss that brand…

I tried IRC road tires some years ago— the rice bran Formulas— but they got mortally wounded before I could really assess them. I should revisit the brand and see what’s new.
Old 01-28-23, 09:08 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

First ride impressions (pavement, hardpack fire roads, and hardpack singletrack)…

They seem to roll really nicely on pavement and hardpack dirt, and aren’t noticeably slower or faster than my previous Pirelli H/M combo. I would like to attribute a new PR in my first significant climb to the tires, but data shows that my power output was higher than previous efforts. Cornering grip in the dirt is good, but not as confidence-inspiring as the Pirelli M on the front (maybe I just need more time on them). Cornering on pavement was predictable and stable. The rear bites a little better under power than the Pirelli H. No surprise there. Today’s ride didn’t include any significant sections of loose/soft surfaces. Overall, I like them a lot, and they will stay on my bike for the time being.

Measured width (700x38): 40.5mm @ 38psi
Measured weights: 463g, 506g

Old 02-21-23, 11:57 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

More feedback...I did a ride this past weekend that included a wider variety of surfaces, including mildly chunky stuff and loose sandy patches on a fire road descent. What I'm finding is that these tires are tough, and reassuringly predictable when surfaces get squirrely. I like these tires quite a lot.

Last edited by Eric F; 02-21-23 at 01:34 PM.
Likes For Eric F: