Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Collision with a dog

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Collision with a dog

Old 01-29-23, 02:35 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
Collision with a dog

I report my mistakes here, but in this case I’m not sure there’s anything I would have done differently. Maybe if I’d known it can happen, I would have been a bit better prepared, but the “normal” response is still I think statistically better.

Dog approach situation.

I was commuting from work on a 6-lane 45 mph-posted state highway with very wide shoulders. There was a red light behind me so there was no motor vehicle traffic to my left side. About 20 feet away I saw a 80-100 lb. dog approaching me from a business driveway. I could see the dog looking at me. Dogs in this situation in the past have always begun a chase so I maintained my line and speed. He then walked in front of me and I hit him square on, knocking me down to the side. I have a bit of road rash and some sore muscles, but nothing serious. The dog walked away and I don’t think he was seriously injured.

I’ve got to say it never occurred to me that a dog would just walk in front of me like that while looking at me.

Thoughts:

1. The crash activated my Garmin emergency signal, which I cancelled. This motivated me to make a full-cycle test with my family to confirm that it will notify them. (My family, upon hearing of my crash, were primarily concerned with the condition of the dog.)

2. This is a reminder to me for all the gear all the time (ATGATT). I had zero expectation of ending up on the ground on this commute. (I use the picture in this link for my normal reminder…) 991277-atgatt.jpg (547×686) (bp.blogspot.com)

Otherwise, not much to say other than a reminder that Murphy’s Law isn’t a joke, it is one of the fundamental laws of physics.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 01-29-23, 03:22 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I'm glad you are all right, relatively. And the question you knew was coming: What were you riding and is the bike okay?
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 01-29-23, 03:28 PM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 49 Posts
Looks like you saved the dog from walking out into traffic. He wouldn't have fared so well after a collision with a motor vehicle.
Likes For Thulsadoom:
Old 01-29-23, 04:14 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Originally Posted by Inusuit
I'm glad you are all right, relatively. And the question you knew was coming: What were you riding and is the bike okay?
My regular commuter is a touring bike so gross weight probably 200-220 lb. No damage to bike or panniers. Also, in case TXDOT is listening, I did not damage their asphalt.

Last edited by flangehead; 01-29-23 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-29-23, 05:15 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
I'm always on the look out for animals, pedestrians and cars. If something looks like trouble, I slow down and that means I let squirrels cross my path.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 01-29-23, 05:48 PM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I'm always on the look out for animals, pedestrians and cars. If something looks like trouble, I slow down and that means I let squirrels cross my path.
Hard to hit a squirrel. I've tried.
Old 01-29-23, 06:48 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom
I ran over one that thought he could get between the wheels mini speed bump but he disappeared into the weeds before I stopped.
Old 01-29-23, 06:50 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
we were going slow doing a sharp turn by a curb on our tandem new to it when a dog broke out of the fence and ran at is. I turned left away handbrakes but my blind wife leaned right and we fell over. Landed on the end of the handbar right where my leg joins my body. massive hematoma and bruise.
Old 01-29-23, 08:25 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
I had to merge with traffic one time when a guy was in the bike lane with a camera on a tri-pod shooting pictures. After making sure there wasn't anything coming up behind me I veered to the left to avoid the guy and just before I reached him a dog on a long leash jumped out in front of me. I missed the dog but caught the leash in the bottom bracket area of my bike. It was a medium sized dog @45 pounder. The leash yanked the dog off it's feet with a loud yelp and also caught the tri-pod. Everything kinda flew everywhere. I wasn't hurt, my bike wasn't hurt and the dog wasn't hurt, thankfully. But the idiot thought I owed him a new camera haha. When I showed him the camera on my handlebar that had filmed everything, he packed up and took off without another word. (he might have been crying) At the least, I'm sure the lens on his camera was busted based on the large dent and abrasion I could see in the side of it.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 01-29-23, 08:47 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
I’ve got to say it never occurred to me that a dog would just walk in front of me like that while looking at me.
<--- I'm guessing you don't have one of these.

I hope everyone involved came out of it ok.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 01-29-23, 09:33 PM
flangehead

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
<--- I'm guessing you don't have one of these…..
Maybe that’s the reason. My dog would not look at an oncoming object and walk in front of it. Chasing a duck or a rabbit and get blindsided? All day long. See it coming? He’s backing off.
Old 01-29-23, 09:51 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

What breed?

(That one was a golden. RIP)
Old 01-30-23, 06:27 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3744 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 768 Posts
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom
You don't have to worry about hitting a squirrel; you have to worry about the squirrel hitting you

Old 01-30-23, 07:02 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
You don't have to worry about hitting a squirrel; you have to worry about the squirrel hitting you

happened to me, too. But it was a small dog caught in the wheel. Took me right down. He jumped right at the wheel.

I generally dismount unless it is very clear I am going to outgun the dog. In OP's situation, I would have stopped 100% of the time
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 01-30-23, 08:20 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3744 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 768 Posts

Dog approach situation.

... He then walked in front of me and I hit him square on, knocking me down to the side. I have a bit of road rash and some sore muscles, but nothing serious. The dog walked away and I don’t think he was seriously injured.

Thoughts:

1. ....(My family, upon hearing of my crash, were primarily concerned with the condition of the dog.)
It's been my experience that it's good practice to always expect the absolute worse and unexpected results when dealing with kids and animals -- they just do the most illogical things, since they're both on about the same mental level...and that's giving kids the benefit of the doubt. I had a kid on a little bike run directly into my rear wheel on a perpendicular direction. He was looking right at me and I was thinking, surely he's going to stop or turn away. Now whenever I see kids or animals anywhere near me, I'm on guard for the totally unexpected.

Your family being concerned about the dog...that's typical in today's world. It's a funny thing.

This is just out of curiosity, no bearing on the incident. I see you scrubbed out the business sign to the right of the shoulder.

However, I also see that you scrubbed out something in the middle of the roadway to the left of the shoulder. Why? What was it?

Old 01-30-23, 09:11 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Maybe that’s the reason. My dog would not look at an oncoming object and walk in front of it. Chasing a duck or a rabbit and get blindsided? All day long. See it coming? He’s backing off.
I've seen a golden retriever look at me and get out of my way. I've seen small dogs bark and try to run at me but held firmly by its leash. I've had a young dalmation off-leash keep at my front wheel I was afraid it would try to get in front of my bike so I had to ride slowly not to run it over but fast enough to try to avoid it stopping me from going. I led it almost out of the park with the owner yelling from far away.
Old 01-30-23, 09:31 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts

I once (involuntarily) decapitated a small bird that decided that it would be fun to cross the trail between my spokes.

I heard it "pop" and saw feathers flying. When I looked back I saw his head rolling downhill like a ping pong ball. My fork ended up with blood stains and TBH, I felt really bad although there's little I could have done to avoid it.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 01-30-23, 09:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Was the dog wearing a helmet?
Old 01-30-23, 10:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Some dogs might be almost blind and depend on other senses. So always expect the unexpected.

FYI, in many states, the owner of the pet is responsible for damages. But apparently you have nothing significant to you or your bike.
Old 01-30-23, 12:15 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
another reminder not to trust eye contact
Old 01-30-23, 01:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Some dogs might be almost blind and depend on other senses. So always expect the unexpected.

I think the problem with dogs is it's not clear at all right up to the point of no return which unexpected I should expect. You have almost no time to consider your options, and they are usually mutually exclusive. I can't go by what worked last time because dogs have no respect for precedent.

Last major incident I had with dogs was sort of the opposite of OPs, what looked like a threatening situation turned out to be comical. I was riding on a MUP with nowhere to exit when two dogs are charging at me from the other direction barking in a manner that sounded scary. I hopped off my bike, yelled real loud and put the bike between me and the dogs. At which point, they immediately both sat down staring at me and wagging their tails. I was pretty sure they thought I was going to throw the bike for them to fetch.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-30-23, 03:25 PM
77record

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

Dog approach situation.

Dogs have been intentionally bred for generations to be dumb.
Old 01-31-23, 06:49 AM
flangehead

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
What breed?….
I think the dog I hit was mostly Mastiff. My dog is an adopted stray “50 pounds of brown” mutt.

…However, I also see that you scrubbed out something in the middle of the roadway to the left of the shoulder. Why? What was it?
Name of highway from Google Maps street view.

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
.. I generally dismount unless it is very clear I am going to outgun the dog. In OP's situation, I would have stopped 100% of the time.
I’ve thought about this more and I can see the advantage of doing that and using the bike as a shield so I don’t get bit as ldl noted. Thanks!
Likes For flangehead:
Old 01-31-23, 07:05 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by 77record
Dogs have been intentionally bred for generations to be dumb.
They are kind of like people.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 01-31-23, 08:27 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think the problem with dogs is it's not clear at all right up to the point of no return which unexpected I should expect. You have almost no time to consider your options, and they are usually mutually exclusive. I can't go by what worked last time because dogs have no respect for precedent
totally agree. this little ball of energy (off leash) was all over the trail, so I slowed to a crawl to pass them

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-31-23 at 01:10 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.