Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo 50th Anniversary Set on Guerciotti Frame

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 02-22-23, 01:24 PM
cyclen00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hey all,

New to the forum and a vintage bike newbie but here to learn more about a bike that fell into my lap. It's an old Guerciotti frame which doesn't seem to be worth too much, but has an almost complete Campagnolo 50th Anniversary Set on it. It's sitting in a barn so I'll need to go back and check all the parts to confirm, but I believe for example the steam and seat post do not appear to be a part of the set.

The shift levers, crankset, pedals, front hub, and freewheel are. Possibly the brake levers as well.

Some brief research and asking around tells me it's probably best to take it apart and clean the parts up best I can, but curious if there are any other takes? ie, maybe the partial set is worth something all together? Maybe I'm missing something about the Guerciotti frame?

If taking it all apart is the best route, does anyone happen to know the tools needed? I'm fairly handy and have access to a mechanic shop, but don't have any bike specific tools, let alone tools for an 40yo foreign road bike.

I can't post the photos without making more posts but if anyone knows anything about these bikes maybe I can send them on a PM.

Thanks
Old 02-22-23, 05:46 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Load pictures to your gallery
Old 02-22-23, 08:35 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 527 Posts
There's an almost cultish-like following of the 50th Anniversary gruppo from Campagnolo.
The added 50th Anniversary pantograph bling gets them all excited despite the then already old design of the components that was already falling way behind the designs from other companies when it came out.Even in used condition, the gruppo can fetch good money.​​​​​​​Component collectors usually prefer them NOS in the box though.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 02-23-23, 10:20 AM
cyclen00b

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for the info Chombi1 I guess I'll stick to my original plan and see if I can manage to get all the parts of the bike and clean up a bit. It would be nice to try to sell them all together, though I see a lot of individual parts fetching some pretty high prices on eBay. Is there anywhere else you'd suggest listing them? It seems like a pretty niche collectors item, all the info I found on it (other than this forum) have been from UK collector sites.

hm jiangshi I might be doing something wrong but not able to do that for some reason. Perhaps due to not having a premium membership?
Old 02-23-23, 03:57 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked 3,541 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclen00b
jiangshi I might be doing something wrong but not able to do that for some reason. Perhaps due to not having a premium membership?
No premium membership required. You can load pictures into an album on your "user control panel" and we can see them now. You will need 10 posts (over 2
days or more 5+5) then you can post pictures in a thread.
Old 02-23-23, 05:36 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

It's on the left side (on a pc) under networking.
Old 02-23-23, 05:51 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

FWIW, I sold a group on eBay for $2500 about six years ago. It was used and took a lot of careful cleaning.

https://goo.gl/photos/kHW3nh3ffwU4wRjo8

Don't write of the Gooch as not worth anything, either.
Likes For jiangshi:
Old 02-24-23, 09:50 AM
cyclen00b

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks SoCaled , just got them up on my gallery! Let me know if you can see them. There is an interesting set of old Mavic rims as well. Nice, jiangshi I'd be happy to get something similar, it turns out it is a full set after all. I don't have photos of the brake levers or the derailleurs on hand but believe they're 50th also. It sounds like it will be harder to get the pieces off the bike than it will be to sell them lol. Any thought on the Guerciotti frame? It's a little rusty but not too bad overall I don't think.
Old 02-24-23, 02:09 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 623 Posts
Helping the new guy….

Old 02-24-23, 02:18 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 623 Posts
Ok, pretty cool package.

looks to me like it was loved and ridden, and not just built up for nuthin.

It reminds me of how my dad had his ‘Nago set up, plastic toe clips, light on the back.

your frame has chrome underneath. Cromovelito, is the method of painting over chrome which does two things, gives it a candied effect, and flakes off if you look at it funny.

you could remove all the paint and have a shiny chrome frame

all the parts will clean up nicely

see if there is a local co-op with stand/tool time to use. Proper tools don’t need to be purchased if you can share.

awesome project. Keep us in the loop.
Likes For Robvolz:
Old 02-24-23, 05:22 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

That's going to be a lot of work. If you don't know what you are doing you could do more harm than good.

Use the proper tools to disassemble.

That is not Cromovelato. It is an Columbus SL/SLX frame that the paint is flaking off of.

Where are you located?
Old 02-24-23, 10:39 PM
cyclen00b

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Indeed, removing the freewheel looks to be a real pain.

I'm in upstate NY. No co-ops up here that I know of unfortunately
Old 02-24-23, 11:21 PM
dbhouston 

Bikes: 2005 Orbea Spirit + 2018 Specialized Diverge + 1974 Raleigh Competition + 1983 Centurion Pro Tour 15

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 93 Posts
This is the vintage bike nerd version of a Dear Penthouse Forum letter!

Trying to remove the components without the right tools and a bit of experience could lead to unnecessary damage, so at the very least you should let a bike shop do the disassembly. It'll cost a few bucks, but then you'll have a box of bike parts that are very valuable to the right buyer. Clean everything superficially but well enough to take good pictures. Once you start disassembling the components, you're into a whole new can of worms.

I don't know jack about Guerciotti and can't suggest whether that frame should be reunited with those parts. Probably not. A sad truth about vintage bikes is that they are often worth more in parts than as a beautifully restored bike. And if this is a big mismatch between frame and components, then they should probably go their separate ways. Either way, that was a fine frame when it was built and would be worth restoring to someone at some price.

If you want to take up vintage cycling, either those components or the money you earn from them will get you off to a roaring start. Congrats on a legit barn find!
Old 02-25-23, 04:52 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Can anyone view the OP's photos? It seems at least one member has seen the Guerc - he points out the finish isn't Chromovelato, but flaking paint.

When I check out the OP's Public Profile, I get this indication: 'You have not added any albums yet'.

Kinda like to see this thing, as I've owned/operated Campy 50th in a prior lifetime. Cleaned up, sold for good money after getting a decade's worth of use.

OP: you likely are sitting on a gold mine. If you make another 6 posts in the next couple days, you'll be able to post pics directly to the thread (and we can help you with that if you have difficulties). Pics will allow those with knowledge to better assist you.

DD
Old 02-25-23, 05:07 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

The pictures are on post #9, maybe you have the poster blocked?
Likes For jiangshi:
Old 02-26-23, 12:19 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by jiangshi

The pictures are on post #9, maybe you have the poster blocked?
Ah, thanks! Yes - I do

Oh, well. Maybe the OP will get to 10 soon, and I can get a peek.

DD
Old 02-26-23, 07:49 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts

Old 02-27-23, 01:53 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Thanks TugaDude

OP: Looks as though you've your work cut out when it comes to cleaning up that bad boy - but it'll be more than worth the effort.

I do note the rear caliper is missing its 50th Anniversary center pivot nut, which will obviously affect the final value of that component. The small pics make it a bit difficult to determine if that's corrosion or grime (or a mixture of the two) covering most of the components.

Having said that, there's still plenty of cash to be realized from the parts. The frame looks to have suffered major paint loss on the seat tube just above the BB shell; as a result, it will either need a repaint, or a lower-than-normal asking price (if selling) in order to move it on. If keeping it, it'll also likely need a good oxalic acid bath to address what appears to be rust spotting on the fork crown.

DD
Old 02-27-23, 07:17 AM
Dolanarc1

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 17 Posts
This is a great find. It's quite a shame the the previous owner would allow a 50th anniversary set get into such terrible condition.
I have a 50th groupo complete in the Campagnolo bag. I wanted to build up to a beautiful Raleigh 753 team issue.
I was advised not to as this would devalue the Groupo.
Good luck with your clean up, hope it all works out.
Old 02-27-23, 07:29 AM
TugaDude

Anyone wanting those bits will likely prefer to do their own cleaning. At least I would. A lot of damage could be done attempting to remove the apparent oxidation. Any cleaning should be very, very gentle. Perhaps just some Dawn dishwashing liquid and a soft cloth. Anything abrasive can create problems for the buyer.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 02-27-23, 10:31 AM
jiangshi
Banned.

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
The small pics make it a bit difficult to determine if that's corrosion or grime (or a mixture of the two) covering most of the components.

DD
The original pictures are larger, there is a lot of corrosion and pitting on the components.
Old 02-28-23, 09:17 AM
TugaDude

The bike has clearly, and sadly been neglected.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 02-28-23, 02:26 PM
cyclen00b

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for the info all! Yeah it seems to have a bit of corrosion unfortunately; barn storage just doesn't seem to save things from rust in the Northeast. I'll be away from the bike until the end of the month but will strip the basic parts that I can do with allen wrenches and see how they clean up with some dish soap and report back! Will likely leave the freewheel / crank to a shop.

Would you try to acid bath the Guerciotti or leave it as is? I'm seeing one frame for sale on Ebay that someone restored professionally for $995. I'd hate to ruin what someone else could bring back to life, and something tells me that the acid bath is more a fresh start than an era correct restore.
Likes For cyclen00b:
Old 02-28-23, 02:32 PM
cyclen00b

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I think it's a late 70's/early 80's Guerciotti SL Record / Super Record
Old 02-28-23, 07:25 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by cyclen00b

I think it's a late 70's/early 80's Guerciotti SL Record / Super Record.
Definitely early 80s, judging by the fully-sloping fork crown and the fully-chromed rear triangle (which seems sadly lacking on most of the non-drive chainstay - bummer!). I do believe around this time frame, Guerciotti also had a model called 'Jet' - might be what you have here.

Still and all, I think if you do a good clean-up of the components, without using any lye-based cleaners, you can save what remains of the original finish without causing more issues. FWIW, I use a medium or hard toothbrush and some SoftSoap, rinsing off frequently with warm water. Works like a charm - and does no damage. When you get the chance, you might give that approach a go, then share your results with us

As for the frame, the pros who clean up rusted frames with the oxalic acid approach can advise better than I, but I know it's gonna take a bit of work to get it looking presentable. Not that it won't ride just fine, no matter if it doesn't look pristine.

Good luck!

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.