Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Modern Cycling is Becoming Much More Hazardous!!!

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Modern Cycling is Becoming Much More Hazardous!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-23, 03:26 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
IKR. I caught that too but there is just so much else to pick on here.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 03-06-23, 03:34 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,084 Times in 3,825 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Every activity involves risks.
Everything will kill you eventually. Die doing something fun.
Old 03-06-23, 05:44 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I'm not so sure that cycling in Toronto has become more dangerous. At worse the driving is the same. Ever since our joke-Mayor left, we have been installing more cycling infrastructure that keep cyclists separated from drivers. And in the odd occasion where driver and cyclist interact at these places, I've seen drivers give way.

And then there's technology. When cycling on roads and streets without bike lanes, rear-facing cameras keep most drivers at bay.

I've never had a face-to-face confrontation with a bad driver. The worse, just as before, is a bit of honking and attempted bullying but nobody has tried any intentional harm.
Old 03-06-23, 06:52 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
I was thinking about responding with data, and an observation about the absence thereof in the Op’s assertion.

However, reading the whole thread, all I can say is get off my lawn.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-06-23, 07:49 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
What I see is that cycling deaths remain about constant, drivers are vastly more courteous than they were a few decades back, bike lanes are much more common ....

Yeah, safer.

A few weeks ago I was coming back from somewhere far away---an out-of-town job---driving down a divided highway at night. For the first time ever i saw headlight s coming my way ... on my side of the highway. I was tid enough I didn't even get upset, I just pulled to one side and kept driving. I thought about calling 911 but figured either someone else would or had, or the driver would figure it out, or something terrible would happen, before the fifteen-minute response time ...

Is this proof that driving is less safe, or that I am selfish?

To me driving is very safe, since I wrecked some cars playing boy racer and realized it was not a fun sport. Cars are certainly safer, and deaths per million miles has been falling steadily for decades. And guess what? Those distracted drivers in cars? They drive Cars. So .... shouldn't accidents be up? Yet I don't seem to have any , on my bike or in my car.

I must be doing it wrong.

This is Not A&S. If you want to dragoon people into agreeing with you, go over there. I still do a lot of rides around rush hour, and I don't have a lot of issues. Sorry for those who do. Sorry if I am not allowed to disagree with you .... but here i am.
I don't think bicycle accident data is nearly refined or granular enough to say whether or not it is more dangerous. How many cyclists were on the road then and now? What are the exposure hours for then and now?
Old 03-06-23, 10:42 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I don't think bicycle accident data is nearly refined or granular enough to say whether or not it is more dangerous. How many cyclists were on the road then and now? What are the exposure hours for then and now?

I think the burden of proof is on the person making the three exclamation point positive claim at the top of the thread. Given population increases, there's nothing in the data to suggest a significant increase in danger as a long-term trend, there has been a significant uptick in fatalities during the pandemic, but that may very well be the result of more people riding.
Old 03-06-23, 10:48 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
mind boggling

Originally Posted by michaelm101
Putting oneself in a 4,000lb vehicle to go a few miles is inefficient and stupid. Selfish (and perhaps stupid) is riding the wrong way in a bike lane at night without lights.
Yup, 4000 pounds car or truck , to move 1 person and a couple bags of grocery. Now think about a jumbo jet fuels up on 23,000 gallons of fuel and goes up in the air!!??
Old 03-07-23, 06:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by rossiny
Yup, 4000 pounds car or truck , to move 1 person and a couple bags of grocery. Now think about a jumbo jet fuels up on 23,000 gallons of fuel and goes up in the air!!??
I would be against people taking jumbo jets to go 2 miles to the grocery store. What do jet planes have to do with the topic?

We got on the overuse of cars because OP isn't buying the idea that e-vehicles are making things safer by getting some people out of cars. You want to compare CO2 emissions per mile between car drivers and airline passengers? Different thread and forum entirely.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-07-23, 06:20 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Everything will kill you eventually. Die doing something fun.
Gasping for breath in agonizing pain??
Old 03-07-23, 10:27 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Gasping for breath in agonizing pain??
Some of us do that for fun. It's weird.
Old 03-07-23, 10:51 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I have long advocate smart phones soft ware be set so they turn off if traveling faster than 10MPH!!!!!!
have you heard of “passengers?” or trains, buses, boats, airplanes?

how about we make it like most anything else which poses an increased risk to those around you - make it illegal, add some good warnings and signage and training/education to make sure everyone knows, come up with some new technologies to mitigate the desire, and then actually enforce the law with stiff penalties.

drunk driving deaths, for example, have decreased by 40+ percent in the last few decades.
Old 03-07-23, 11:21 AM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 143 Posts
>> Gasping for breath in agonizing pain??

That was me, climbing a 23 % grade on a Moser with 42 x 26 gears, toe clips & straps, and tennis shoes.
Didn't die but sure felt like it. And that was 30 years ago.

FWIW, cycling deaths in Michigan are up 80% over the last decade.

cheers -mathias
Old 03-07-23, 11:23 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
Could try making every vehicle come standard with a standard transmission & give an option to opt for an automatic at a hefty price. Insurance companies could also influence the market by giving a noticeable discount incentive to have a standard transmission. Additionally, the state DMV could reflect a lower registration rate for vehicles equipped with a factory standard transmission.

It might increase "delayed" movement from a stopping event, but that is where another's vehicle horn could play a role.
Old 03-07-23, 06:42 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think the burden of proof is on the person making the three exclamation point positive claim at the top of the thread. Given population increases, there's nothing in the data to suggest a significant increase in danger as a long-term trend, there has been a significant uptick in fatalities during the pandemic, but that may very well be the result of more people riding.
I am a boating safety professional by trade. We saw a 20+% rise in fatalities nationally in 2020, it dropped off slightly in 2021. Our data doesn't provide us with exposure hours, but our observations all across the country were that boat ramps had near holiday weekend level of traffic every weekend. Preliminary 2022 numbers look like no change from 2021. Not only are more people enjoying outdoor activities, boaters specifically are engaging in boating to get away from it all and burn off stress. They are dropping their guard in the process. That and there are a lot of new entrants into the various activities. That often translates into more mistakes and the lack of experience to employ defensive tactics that we all develop over time.
Old 03-08-23, 06:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I am a boating safety professional by trade. We saw a 20+% rise in fatalities nationally in 2020, it dropped off slightly in 2021. Our data doesn't provide us with exposure hours, but our observations all across the country were that boat ramps had near holiday weekend level of traffic every weekend. Preliminary 2022 numbers look like no change from 2021. Not only are more people enjoying outdoor activities, boaters specifically are engaging in boating to get away from it all and burn off stress. They are dropping their guard in the process. That and there are a lot of new entrants into the various activities. That often translates into more mistakes and the lack of experience to employ defensive tactics that we all develop over time.

​​​​​​Without reliable exposure data, it's impossible to know whether the increase in riders getting hit is just reflecting directly the increase in people riding. If that's the case, from an individual perspective, there's been no increase in my risks riding.
I do think one should be very careful comparing bike safety stats to boating stats. Obviously, I'm no expert, but bike stats are related to automobile stats. I don't think there's any equivalent relationship with boat statistics and those of any other activity. Feel free to correct me on that, but I think boating and cycling are more different than they are alike.
Old 03-08-23, 06:34 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3669 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
Probably is easier to drive a boat while drunk than ride a bike. Hey, where's OP? Maybe he can't find his thread since it was (appropriately) moved.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-08-23, 09:10 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Hoo boy. Ch. 16 and 22A were a constant source of shock and morbid entertainment during those years and there was matching high-speed insanity on the roads. I hope this season is better.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-08-23, 10:00 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Do we really have reliable data on cycling hazards?

When I went to the ER and then to the trauma center, nobody from the government records that data.

Depending on the country, cycling has been estimated to be 20-80 times more deadly per mile than riding in a motor vehicle although I doubt the fatality rate per 100mm miles has changed much.
Old 03-08-23, 11:17 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Depending on the country, cycling has been estimated to be 20-80 times more deadly per mile than riding in a motor vehicle although I doubt the fatality rate per 100mm miles has changed much.
Such "estimates" are probably highly dependent on the agenda or predetermined/preferred "solution" being promoted by the person/organization providing the estimate.
Old 03-08-23, 12:26 PM
MoAlpha
• —

When I went to the ER and then to the trauma center, nobody from the government records that data.

I don't think we have any idea. We might know the fatality number, but that's the tip of the injury iceberg and, as far as I can tell, we have no idea of the size of the cycling population or the amount of time they spend riding.
Old 03-08-23, 01:05 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I don't think we have any idea. We might know the fatality number, but that's the tip of the injury iceberg and, as far as I can tell, we have no idea of the size of the cycling population or the amount of time they spend riding.
Also in some, if not most of these estimates of bicycle injuries we have no idea if all injuries or number of ER visits as a result of bicycling mishaps, from skinned knee to traumatic amputations and even no injuries (checked out at ER, "just in case") are added together to arrive at "shocking" totals without any consideration of the severity of injuries incurred.
Old 03-08-23, 01:13 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

That seems like a stat designed to push an agenda. The difference in speed between a bike and car skews the picture. To me, comparing by hours would be more realistic.
Old 03-08-23, 02:13 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
That seems like a stat designed to push an agenda. The difference in speed between a bike and car skews the picture. To me, comparing by hours would be more realistic.
There are a whole bunch of variables that would skew the results.

For example, a stretch of road with no cars is much safer to cycle on than one with the maximum number of cars that will still allow them to exceed the speed limit. And then if the volume of cars increase so much that they turn into congested traffic, it would be slightly more dangerous than it with no cars on it and much less dangerous with cars going at full speed. That's because the cyclist is in control to navigate past all the cars as if they were just obstacles.

However, a road with any number of cars on it is always a danger to itself and each other. A single car can get into self collisions. Congested traffic can get drivers into fender benders. And of course cars going full speed often smash into each other.

All that variation on the same stretch of road.

Last edited by Daniel4; 03-08-23 at 02:21 PM.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 03-08-23, 03:29 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Also in some, if not most of these estimates of bicycle injuries we have no idea if all injuries or number of ER visits as a result of bicycling mishaps, from skinned knee to traumatic amputations and even no injuries (checked out at ER, "just in case") are added together to arrive at "shocking" totals without any consideration of the severity of injuries incurred.
True, but for every ER visit there is one or more ICD codes, so the info would be easy to find in a bike injury registry if anyone ever decided to create one.

And then, of course, there are the fools such as I, who refused to let my long-suffering spouse take me to the ER with a definite concussion after my last kinetic encounter with an automobile.
Old 03-08-23, 04:58 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelm101

Regardless, all of these things make it extremely hazardous for everybody who shares the road.
Yes, bicycling is probably more hazardous today than 20+ years ago (Before cell phones). However IMO it's only moved from very safe to reasonably safe.

With well over 100k miles on the roads, including city, suburban and rural riding, I'm well aware that somewhere out there, is a car bumper with my name on it. However the odds of that car and I being in the same place at the same time remain acceptably low.

Cyclists are constantly made aware of the deaths and injuries, but we tend to discount the non-news of the vast number of people riding bikes and NOT being injured.

So, I advise riding smart and maintaining a high level of situational awareness, but most of all accepting that while your number may come up anytime, the bad odds in the lottery of life are comparable to those of winning the state lottery.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.